Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Mobile Vehicle Mechanic - Recommendations Please

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6, every time I start the engine the radiator fan comes on and stays on. I'm guessing an electrical problem with a sensor/relay or something.

If anyone can recommend a mobile mechanic who can sort this out I'd be most obliged.

(and yes...... I have tried that before anyone suggests it :) )

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
why not just drive it to a garage . . . it won't do any harm, assuming its got water in it and the gauge is'nt off the scale, hence the fan being on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where are you ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you're in Worthing I can highly recommend Revolution Mechanics - very good. He's got a nice van with all the 'gear' in.

https://www.facebook.com/Revolution-Mechanics-107236817439773/

van.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I live in Hove, I don't really want to take it to a main dealer as they charge too much.

Take it to an independent, I use Rapid Auto Centres in North Street in Portsalde and have done for 20 odd years. Happily trusted them with any car I've had over the years, great service and great value.

Disclaimer, the owner is a friend of mine, but I've recommended many people to him and he's not let them down.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Take it to an independent, I use Rapid Auto Centres in North Street in Portsalde and have done for 20 odd years. Happily trusted them with any car I've had over the years, great service and great value.

Disclaimer, the owner is a friend of mine, but I've recommended many people to him and he's not let them down.

My dad's taken his cars there for years as well, is always very complementary.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6, every time I start the engine the radiator fan comes on and stays on. I'm guessing an electrical problem with a sensor/relay or something.

If anyone can recommend a mobile mechanic who can sort this out I'd be most obliged.

(and yes...... I have tried that before anyone suggests it :) )

If it's not overheating, the gauge is normal and it has water in, then just take it to a garage. If for some random reason it does start overheating on route then put your inside fan heaters on full blast and it will still get you there. Is it a new Astra?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Try Mann and Woodland Brunswick Street Hove https://www.mannandwoodland.co.uk/.

Great Independent and they do Saab, who used to be owned by Vauxhall so share a lot of their kit. They were really good and kept my trusty (and sadly towards the end rusty) Saab going for 6 years at minimal costs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Probably a faulty temperature sensor or the fan relay is faulty and stuck in the on position. I’m not a mechanic just good with circuits of any description.

I was randomly thinking the other day if the situation ever occurred could I disable a suicide vest :moo:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Probably a faulty temperature sensor or the fan relay is faulty and stuck in the on position. I’m not a mechanic just good with circuits of any description.

I was randomly thinking the other day if the situation ever occurred could I disable a suicide vest :moo:

There’s only one outcome you’ll find out

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I’ve had this problem on a few Astras and corsas there is a relay/speed control unit on the rad fan that fails on them, I usually get a second hand one and replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
why not just drive it to a garage . . . it won't do any harm, assuming its got water in it and the gauge is'nt off the scale, hence the fan being on.

Sensible advice, why pay a call out charge for a mobile mechanic when any half decent garage mechanic with some electrical knowledge will probably be able to sort it easily.

This is almost certainly just a five minute job that will actually take just 5 mins once they have the part.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Probably the only occasion known to man that switching it off and then on again isn’t the best advice. :moo:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sensible advice, why pay a call out charge for a mobile mechanic when any half decent garage mechanic with some electrical knowledge will probably be able to sort it easily.

This is almost certainly just a five minute job that will actually take just 5 mins once they have the part.

In 22 years that could be my first on NSC :laugh:

If it is a relay, probably a £5 job . . . . and 2 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here