Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A sad story come good…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This really touched me - just the horrible kids’ comments more than anything. They should all be found and made to do online the courses etc and their parents should be told what they’ve written. Another example of how hateful and shite mainstream social media is. But have a look at the video - donate if you feel compelled to (link in article). Thanks

https://www.skysports.com/share/12399911

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It all boils down to social media companies not doing enough to regulate users doesn't it.

For me, it should be nigh impossible to be virtually anonymous. Also when you report a post that is clearly abusive in some way that user should be banned, not suspended or that post deleted. The times I've reported racism, homophobia, even animal cruelty that's been deemed not to go against site rules is infuriating.

Saying that, we should all be more proactive in reporting unacceptable posts instead of just scrolling past it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It all boils down to social media companies not doing enough to regulate users doesn't it.

For me, it should be nigh impossible to be virtually anonymous. Also when you report a post that is clearly abusive in some way that user should be banned, not suspended or that post deleted. The times I've reported racism, homophobia, even animal cruelty that's been deemed not to go against site rules is infuriating.

Saying that, we should all be more proactive in reporting unacceptable posts instead of just scrolling past it.

Dont really agree with that, but its probably how it will turn out in the end. Obviously a law like that would kill off millions of small forums like NSC.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Dont really agree with that, but its probably how it will turn out in the end. Obviously a law like that would kill off millions of small forums like NSC.

You could appear anonymous to other users, random username and profile picture etc but your personal details could be held by the site? It's anonymity and lack of consequences that allows people to bully and post horrendous things.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I think it has to go deeper than that, such as better 'education' and improving dialogue with these people to understand WHY they feel the need to post offensive comments to strangers. It's all very well going after the social media companies –*I agree that more needs to be done on that front – but some people are happy to post under their real profile and it's not like they became like that just because of Facebook, Twatter and Instagram. There's a deep-rooted problem that needs to be – but will almost certainly never be – fixed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

NSC is not anonymous (to the owner), and it is moderated.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I think it has to go deeper than that, such as better 'education' and improving dialogue with these people to understand WHY they feel the need to post offensive comments to strangers. It's all very well going after the social media companies –*I agree that more needs to be done on that front – but some people are happy to post under their real profile and it's not like they became like that just because of Facebook, Twatter and Instagram. There's a deep-rooted problem that needs to be – but will almost certainly never be – fixed.

I think we all know why people do it, generally because they are unhappy with their own lives and hate themselves in some way which of course could be rooted in serious mental health disorders.

But understanding it isn't going to stop it or even reduce it. And it's not realistic to give these people help because we're talking about millions and millions of people. Stricter controls within social media must be implemented first and foremost.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just saw a string of messages that Sloane Stephens received after losing a match. Just shocking, bizarre abuse.

Although making anonymity impossible seems an ideal solution on the face of it, think of the implications for activists living under repressive regimes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think we all know why people do it, generally because they are unhappy with their own lives and hate themselves in some way which of course could be rooted in serious mental health disorders.

But understanding it isn't going to stop it or even reduce it. And it's not realistic to give these people help because we're talking about millions and millions of people. Stricter controls within social media must be implemented first and foremost.

That's why I said it's a problem that will never be fixed. But there should at least be some sort of effort to try and reduce the issues at source. No-one is born like that with those sorts of opinions or personality traits. It's got to come from somewhere.

I agree that a lot of people do it because they have their own issues. But then a certain amount of it is just down to habit and not actually thinking about what they are posting. I've done it myself hundreds of times – drafted something, thought about the effects of it and then got rid. Potential issues averted and the fact I didn't say what I was going to makes no difference to anyone.

Finally, if you stop people doing it on social media, they'll find another way to express their opinions or spew hate. Fighting it online is almost as difficult as in real life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's almost as if people are *****.
Have been ***** since pulling themselves out of the swamp.
& will be ***** till the day we are all returned to the swamp.
Having rather ****ishly created the aforementioned swamp.
Social media hasn't created the *****.
Social media has just given the ***** a louder voice.
Making it harder for ***** to be ***** on the socials will just move them somewhere else to be ****ish.
Unfortunately now saying 'stop being a ****' brands you as a woke****, in order to perpetuate the cycle.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Making it harder for ***** to be ***** on the socials will just move them somewhere else to be ****ish.
Unfortunately now saying 'stop being a ****' brands you as a woke****, in order to perpetuate the cycle.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Are you a *****, Stat?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People keep saying about "education" to help eradicate this issue. I don't think these people CAN be educated. They simply get a kick out of posting vile abuse to people anonymously, whether it be of a racist nature or whatever. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of them are fully aware that what they are doing is abhorrent and potentially damaging to the target of the abuse - but they don't give a shit. Its all a bit of a laugh.

What are you going to do with these people, send them on a course ? You can't simply educate this out of someone. They just like doing it, and probably get a little rush of adrenaline out of the attention they get as a result.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You could appear anonymous to other users, random username and profile picture etc but your personal details could be held by the site? It's anonymity and lack of consequences that allows people to bully and post horrendous things.

This - positive ID required to be held by the site operator so posters can be held accountable.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just saw a string of messages that Sloane Stephens received after losing a match. Just shocking, bizarre abuse.

Although making anonymity impossible seems an ideal solution on the face of it, think of the implications for activists living under repressive regimes.

I’d also suggest 99% of those were people who weren’t real tennis fans but that had bets on her to win. Almost definitely - so basically one thing that can be dangerous leads to another etc etc - it’s the society we’ve created!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
This - positive ID required to be held by the site operator so posters can be held accountable.

The argument against that would be "what about hackers getting your personal info blah blah" but they already have that. Social media algorithms know astonishing amounts of information about us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here