Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What is the record opening stand v Sussex?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
By the way, who do we have left for T20 finals day?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Middlesex's highest ever opening stand against any County side is 373 - Gatt and Langer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Looking forward to all the "our kids are doing their best" comments despite them not being up to standard.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looking forward to all the "our kids are doing their best" comments despite them not being up to standard.

Quite possible for both those statements to be true, of course.

As a bowling unit they are clearly NOT 'up to (County Championship) standard'. That's self-evident when the opposition are closing in on a 400 run opening stand.

Doesn't mean anyone involved is NOT 'doing their best' though, or that individuals amongst them do not have huge potential to become very much 'up to standard'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
James Hunt, Mrs Crocombe, Kit Carson, Joe Haines.... you boys just took one hell of a beating !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite possible for both those statements to be true, of course.

As a bowling unit they are clearly NOT 'up to (County Championship) standard'. That's self-evident when the opposition are closing in on a 400 run opening stand.

Doesn't mean anyone involved is NOT 'doing their best' though, or that individuals amongst them do not have huge potential to become very much 'up to standard'.
Of course. It's just that there doesn't appear much ire directed at the club for having such a terrible squad. Instead, we see lots of admiration directed at kids doing their best but who aren't good enough. It seems a bit odd to me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Harsh. This is a cracking batting wicket against two England internationals, I think some more experienced bowling attacks may have suffered.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Fortunately they will have learned a lot from our experienced Australian super star overseas signing.

Both Middlesex openers have nearly got as many CC runs this innings as Head scored this season (183 from 11 innings).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Harsh. This is a cracking batting wicket against two England internationals, I think some more experienced bowling attacks may have suffered.
I'm sorry, they are nearly 400 without loss.

It isn't harsh to suggest our bowling "attack" isn't very good.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Of course. It's just that there doesn't appear much ire directed at the club for having such a terrible squad. Instead, we see lots of admiration directed at kids doing their best but who aren't good enough. It seems a bit odd to me.
Spot on. I said my piece on the 'Worcs' thread so I won't repeat myself (to much). The kids are NOT alright. Some of them might be but at the moment too many of them are nowhere near 1st class standard. The fact that the county of Goodwin, Adams, Mushy, Khan, Greig, Snow, Dexter, etc etc etc has declined to this level is beyond disgraceful.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Middlesex have now made their highest ever first-class opening partnership (previously Gatting and Langer vs Essex in 1998)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Got ‘em. Ha. Take THAT. 376 for ONE, mutha****ers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sorry, they are nearly 400 without loss.

It isn't harsh to suggest our bowling "attack" isn't very good.

It is harsh when you realise that only one of our frontline bowlers has played more than 20 FC games - FHP with a massive 25 games

Bowlers have to learn their craft - look at Ollie Robinson, he was 24 and on his third county before he became an established county bowler. They won't play many games like this: a good batting track and no cloud cover and they've stuck at it well. Spinners in particular take a time to mature but Carson hasn't been disgraced in this game.

What Sussex really need is an experienced bowler to help these kids along, they're promising players but they need help

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought Garton was supposed to be a bowler. Not been seen so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here