Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58463458

Finger out Barbs!

Net.JPG

SAC

May 21, 2014
Although a brand new ground will have the advantage over older grounds, they will still need a massive offset and no way that many will accept vegan options.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What rubbish. The amount of plastics there will fill the stadium

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Does the Net Zero Carbon include a proportion for the build of the stadium, allowance for manufacture of the various vehicles used to transport fans, players and staff, allowance for the vehicles used by the people who built the stadium, made the food, made the vehicles etc, etc. I think not. Net Zero Carbon can only be measured properly at planet level, not at individual event / company level.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Although a brand new ground will have the advantage over older grounds, they will still need a massive offset and no way that many will accept vegan options.

If you won’t eat something based on nothing more than it having the word “vegan” on it or “plant based”, you need to give your head a wobble.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Does the Net Zero Carbon include a proportion for the build of the stadium, allowance for manufacture of the various vehicles used to transport fans, players and staff, allowance for the vehicles used by the people who built the stadium, made the food, made the vehicles etc, etc. I think not. Net Zero Carbon can only be measured properly at planet level, not at individual event / company level.

Interesting article on Radio 4 PM programme this evening about going Net Zero (Carbon). A speaker made the point that to be net zero you should look at all the emissions associated with 'what you are doing' including transport, heating, lighting, food, drink, cleaning etc, and offset the rest by planting trees etc.

I guess this 'game ' is looking to be net zero, so they will only count the emissions associated with one game. If the club is going to pronounce itself net zero, then all of the emissions associated with building the stadium, running the club, employing the staff, recruiting and training the players etc etc. would have to be brought into account, which would be rather more difficult.

It's all about the boundaries of measurement, and the PR used to puff it up.

The speaker (professor Mike Berners-lee) also said there is an important difference between Net Zero and Carbon Neutral. Net Zero you have to reduce your emissions as much as possible - walk and cycle ,eat vegan etc and offset te rest. but Carbon Neutral means you just pay to offset all of your emissions, as some airlines and other companies are starting to talk about.

I'm only repeating what was said on the radio by a Professor in carbon footprinting, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Jul 7, 2003
We would be much greener if they allowed us to take in our own reusable water bottles and provided filling stations. Even better if we could use ones with lids / tops:lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The speaker (professor Mike Berners-lee) also said there is an important difference between Net Zero and Carbon Neutral. Net Zero you have to reduce your emissions as much as possible - walk and cycle ,eat vegan etc and offset te rest. but Carbon Neutral means you just pay to offset all of your emissions, as some airlines and other companies are starting to talk about.

I'm only repeating what was said on the radio by a Professor in carbon footprinting, so please don't shoot the messenger.

if a professor is borking language, fair to say the public wont understand or follow. they mean the same thing, they are both offsetting.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
if a professor is borking language, fair to say the public wont understand or follow. they mean the same thing, they are both offsetting.

Yep it confused me too. He also went on to say that its important that we reduce our emissions as much as possible first, before offsetting the rest as there is not enough land on earth to plant all the trees that would be needed to just offset all our current emissions ( with no reductions). Sobering thought...

luge

Dec 18, 2010

Absolute horse shit. I have been working on a race series this year that is attempting net zero (it is electric, all the cars and the paddock are charged with electrolysis) - but ultimately it cannot be completely emission free. Their offset does work as they directly organise and run the programmes, so the badge of Net zero, in this case, does work. But it only works because there are no fans onsite. There will be 60k people at this game, all of whom will be eating, pissing, shitting and travelling. Are they going to stop selling the beef pies?

Football will have to work out how to reduce carbon footprint, so the step in the right direction is welcome, but the emissions saved by this gesture will be negligible.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here