Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Clothes line DRAMA

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Our rotary washing line broke last week. The Doris had clearly been a little too VIGOROUS in erecting it, and one of the arms went all floppy [insert bog-standard NSC inuendo here]. We'd had it a fair old while to be fair, so it was probably due.

Anyhoo, I minced along to Dunelm on Friday to get her a new one. Fifty of my english pounds secured a handsome beast, and I anticipated her excitement upon arrival from work. I even put a wash on for her to dry. Naturally she tore off the cellophane, put the pole in the hole, and opened it out into its wirey splendour. Except the pole was slightly too big for our hole in the ground. It would only sink in a couple of centimetres before getting lodged. As most women will tell you, a couple of CMs in is entirely inadequate, and so it proved, as the rotary washing line listed dangerously.

During our time here, we have had 3, maybe 4 rotary washing lines, all of which have sunk deeply into our hole without resistance. I am a man of little patience, so I therefore elected to take this one back to Dunelm in search of a refund, and a replacement which would slip satisfyingly into place.

I arrived at the store this morning with rotary washing line intact, along with the 2 day old receipt, and the bit of card/instructions that it came with that had the bar code. I placed it on the counter. "I want to return this, because it doesn't fit my hole", I nonchalantly declared. The woman behind the till regarded me as thought I'd just asked her to take a look down my shorts. "We can't take that back sir, because its not in the condition we sold it in".

"Sorry ? Its not even been used"
"Yes, but its not in the packaging"
"Eh ?"
"Its not in its original packaging".
"It was wrapped in cellophane. Thats all it was in. I've got the cardboard inlay"
"We can't re-sell it like that"
"Can you get the manager please ?"
"I am the manager"

*deep breath*

"Hang on. You're telling me you can't take this £50 clothesline back - because its not got the cellophane on ?"
"Yes, we can't resell it"
"But don't you just take it back and re-wrap it ?"
"No. We can't resell it"
"So if I bought a £3 FRUIT BOWL here, took it out of its cellophane, brought it back with a receipt a day or so later - you wouldn't give a refund ?"
"No. Its not our store policy"

I made a show of leaning forward to examine her nametag, gathered up the clothesline in my impotent rage and said something crap like "I'll be taking this further" (which I will - I'll be emailing their Customer Services tomorrow with something spicy).

WTF though ? The receipt says that 'returned items must be returned in their original condition'. Does that INCLUDE fully intact packaging ? Including cellophane wrap ? I'm of a mind to return at 4am tomorrow and ram it through their cuffing front window.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Pop into your local supermarket and buy a load of clingfilm or similar. Rewrap the twirlie. Return to Dunhelm.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why would anyone pay through the nose at Dunelm when they could buy almost certainly better quality and cheaper returnable goods that are delivered to their door from Amazon?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Am I to understand that you didn’t check the diameter of the pole before purchase? Caveat emptor…

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Am I to understand that you didn’t check the diameter of the pole before purchase? Caveat emptor…

Good idea, but where’s [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] supposed to find a Harry Potter outfit on a Monday morning?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I feel for you, I had very Similar customer service recently to do with the big difference between the price on the shelf and the price at the till.
I politely asked the manager and he told me to f**k off and that I am a w****r, honestly.
If you do have to swallow this, are you able to erect a retractable line, I have one by Minky, they are cheap, they have 2 lines and are far more easy to use than a twirly and when you have finished you just unhook the lines and they ping back in to a neat case on the wall.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
784E470F-3FA2-41B0-8272-D82DF00F6D02.jpeg

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Mmmmm feel a bit sorry for the store attendant who is keeping to company policy. Its not their fault you unravelled an item and then decided you didnt want it because you had failed to measure the correct size hole. Of course i expext some firms would have a more forgiving returns policy and there would have been no problem changing the item but you can see Dunelm's problem here, they dont sell secondhand goods. Maybe sell it on here in the Ads section for 30 quid?

This is going the same way as a legendary customer service thread..........i can see it now, at least 20 pages.:lolol::thumbsup::clap:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What do you need for returns

Depending on a retailer’s returns policy some will only exchange or give you a credit note, while others will give you a refund. But all shops usually require a few key things.

A receipt - always keep your receipt and take it with you. If you’re buying a gift for someone else, ask for a gift receipt so that they can change it themselves.
The card you paid with - if you paid for an item on a debit or credit card, take it with you when you return the item. This is especially important if you want a refund as its often credited to the card you paid with.

The original packaging - we’ve said it already, but don’t underestimate the importance of taking the item’s original packaging with you. Even down to the pesky cable ties.

This from Which? who know what they are talking about, Looks like you are the proud owner of a clothes line that you can't use.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Cut ten inches off the old pole, whack it with a hammer inside the Dunelm tube, then put it in the existing hole.
Problem solved and also you dont get garotted when hanging out the washing because the pole isnt very tall

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I knew was getting old when I've considered the best purchase of the summer was the Brabantia 50m Lift-O-Matic Rotary Washing Line. New patio and garden shed meant that the old concrete washing line post had to come out and had nowhere else to go. So after nearly 40 years it was time for a rotary. Same bloke who fixed my driveway gates very kindly offered to do a proper concrete hole to put the dryer pole in. Absolutely love it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here