Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chubby Brown cancelled

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unfortunately it seems these days there are a fair few people who conflate people disagreeing with someone or not liking what they're saying as "cancelling" or "censorship", when in reality they're either challenging what they say to spark a debate or not providing a platform for views they disagree with because there is no requirement for them to do so. There's no more reason why this theatre "should" put on RCB than there is a reason why the Daily Mail should be forced to carry opinion pieces by Jeremy Corbyn, it's their choice.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Iirc in the days of the Hyde Club ( Old A & L social club) in Hangleton there was a Blue Comedian & Sunday Sport strippers night that the locals tried to ban, this thread reminded me of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I asked you a polite question which you didn't answer. Did you intend this to be a debate or a one way diatribe?

30 seconds to find out who I am if they can use a computer. Unfortunately, because two of the board idiots did exactly that in breach of GDPR we are now at a situation where Bozza has specifically banned the revealing of identities against people's wills.

There are also a small number of posters who need the anonymity for various reasons.

I didn’t use a computer, it was a pure guess and it was your reaction that gave it away[emoji6]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I once took my dear old mum to see Jethro in Worthing, we made our excuses after the first 15 minutes and left, he’s another disgusting individual.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had to sit through a video of his in 1991 where he opened with "Good evening and welcome to Blackpool. And believe me, you're f**king welcome to it". That was the funniest it got. The next 90 minutes were "bucket fanny" this and "f**k ugly" that. It was about as funny as herpes. The odd thing was that my housemate - a very likeable working class lad from Scarborough - absolutely lapped it up. To this day, I can't see why.

Anyway, as unfunny and ignorant as his sense of humour is, I do struggle with the idea of banning anybody from doing a comic routine. Nobody is forcing anyone else to watch it, and without getting into all this "woke" bollocks, it just feels like a slippery slope - a needless erosion of personal choice.

I agree with your second paragraph in principle...but I also support the venue to choose who it puts on. If the venue in question doesn’t want to book him can’t he and his 20,000 petition signers simply move onto a venue which does? Unless of course he’s so shit and unfunny no other venue is interested.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
F*ck off, and don't be a knob - although you probably can't help it. I do know what words mean - even big ones - and can spell them, thank you - late at night under dimmed light typos can occur, so don't expect an apology from me. Or a warm welcome for your unwanted snide replies.

Think I'll put you on ignore - you seem a bit sh*t.

More cancel culture. Are you woke?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess maybe someone discovered something offensive he scrawled in chalk on a wall when he was 14.

More likely the people accepting the booking had no idea who he was, but were then informed about something he said on stage last week :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for that Woody, but this is a case in point why my daughter Amy is appearing in front of a Commons Select Committee next week about Internet abuse and bullying.

Guinness Boy, Clapham Gull and Frutos all hide behind screen names (those bravery tablets clearly work), perhaps if Amy and her generation do get the law change they want NSC will be a nicer place when everyone has to register exactly who they are, and are truly accountable for everything they post?

And before the ‘three stooges’ or any other members of the NSC knitting club whinge about the Lenny Rider moniker rather than Ian Hart, Mr Rider first appeared in print, Gulls Eye 1/100 in August 1988, and it became clear about 4 days later when Vinners reported the story in the Argus who exactly I was, even having those immortal words read out in the High Court case in December 1990, “Ian Geoffrey Hart also known as Leonard Arthur Rider”

Have a great Monday 👍

Man, that's a silly post. Nobody is preventing you making your point. It's just that most posters (it seems) are not weeping over the inhumane treatment of british comedy institution, and some feel this is a non story, and that you seem to be itching to make some sort of broflake point :shrug:

I can also assure you that the moderators you mock are scrupulously fair in their moderating

Anyway, I don't always (or often) agree with you, but I enjoy your contribution :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree with your second paragraph in principle...but I also support the venue to choose who it puts on. If the venue in question doesn’t want to book him can’t he and his 20,000 petition signers simply move onto a venue which does? Unless of course he’s so shit and unfunny no other venue is interested.
thing is they had booked it. now they've reacted to some complaints and kicked off the roster. there's the slippery slope, who gets to decide why a booking gets cancelled on complaints, who oversees those complaints etc? if they have some sort of policy and standards they're apply fair enough, but they wouldnt have booked it. feels like policy by peer pressure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
thing is they had booked it. now they've reacted to some complaints and kicked off the roster. there's the slippery slope, who gets to decide why a booking gets cancelled on complaints, who oversees those complaints etc? if they have some sort of policy and standards they're apply fair enough, but they wouldnt have booked it. feels like policy by peer pressure.

Do you know if it was because of the content or poor ticket sales?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thing is they had booked it. now they've reacted to some complaints and kicked off the roster. there's the slippery slope.

They booked something in good faith and realised it wasn’t for them, no big deal. We’ve all done this and it certainly isn’t a “slippery slope”.

who gets to decide why a booking gets cancelled on complaints, who oversees those complaints etc?.

Whoever is in charge of the venue I guess?

if they have some sort of policy and standards they're apply fair enough, but they wouldnt have booked it. feels like policy by peer pressure.

The council said it doesn’t fit with the city’s “values” and a quick look on their website shows some of these to be fairness and equality. He clearly doesn’t fit, hence he got the boot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you know if it was because of the content or poor ticket sales?

the venue says its the content, said the show doesn't represents their values.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
'High Court... immortal words". Get a grip, man.

(I actually quite like RCB, or did the last time I saw a set of his some years ago. He makes me laugh when he's not being absurdly racist)

As for all the 'commons select case in point' bollocks I suggest someone goes for a cold glass of lemonade and a lie down.

A bit embarrassing, IMO

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
'High Court... immortal words". Get a grip, man.

(I actually quite like RCB, or did the last time I saw a set of his some years ago. He makes me laugh when he's not being absurdly racist)

As for all the 'commons select case in point' bollocks I suggest someone goes for a cold glass of lemonade and a lie down.

A bit embarrassing, IMO

Word. Funny how when Lenny finally responds to his own threads it always to turn it around to himself.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
RCB: "Morning! How are the ticket sales for the tour going?"

AGENT: "Terrible, Roy. Frankly, most people don't realise that you're still alive. And even those that do don't seem to want to hear all those old gags about bucket fannies and AIDS anymore; face it Roy - times have moved on. If only we could think of a ploy to get you a bit a free publicity and sound 'edgy'....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here