Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chubby Brown cancelled

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I just googled RCB and banned. There's a long list of results of him being banned from venues over the years, and seems like a lot of them are council run, from Glasgow to Cork to Newcastle and many more.
Tellingly, all the most recent ones include the words WOKE and SNOWFLAKES.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
RCB is just dull, unimaginative and scary in comparison because you kind of know that he believes in what he preaches.

I suspect you are right, but at the same time does that justify banning him.

The Sex Pistols were banned from nearly every venue in the 70’s, does that mean that was right too?

I’ve seen Jerry S too and thought him hilarious (and he’s a real sweetheart off stage too), but is me ‘knowing’ the nature of his comedy making it okay? Boris Johnson’s party trick at The Spectator was to get his Johnson out too, but that doesn’t make it right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If 20,000 people have signed the petition, then 20,000 will buy tickets. Except they won’t.

I didn’t realize he was still going.

I hope he stops soon. I really don’t think he adds anything of value. Snide racist and sexist remarks can be consigned to the dustbin for me.

If Sheffield don’t want him playing their venues, then fair dos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75, and overweight, it won’t be long.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As much as I’ve enjoyed his act over the years, a sign of the times

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-woke-decision-axe-comics-Sheffield-gig.html

Here is a quick challenge for you Lenny. Go back and read this thread again, but every time it says Roy Chubby Brown, substitute in Ben Elton and then see if you think there is anything to see here? I suspect you may be able to more clearly see an old comedian trying to stir up some controversy to try and resurrect a flagging career. I think both were more than capable of making people laugh that includes me), but maybe times have moved on.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
b9e.jpg :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
At least we know who the real snow flakes are

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for that Woody, but this is a case in point why my daughter Amy is appearing in front of a Commons Select Committee next week about Internet abuse and bullying.

Guinness Boy, Clapham Gull and Frutos all hide behind screen names (those bravery tablets clearly work), perhaps if Amy and her generation do get the law change they want NSC will be a nicer place when everyone has to register exactly who they are, and are truly accountable for everything they post?

And before the ‘three stooges’ or any other members of the NSC knitting club whinge about the Lenny Rider moniker rather than Ian Hart, Mr Rider first appeared in print, Gulls Eye 1/100 in August 1988, and it became clear about 4 days later when Vinners reported the story in the Argus who exactly I was, even having those immortal words read out in the High Court case in December 1990, “Ian Geoffrey Hart also known as Leonard Arthur Rider”

Have a great Monday 👍

Maybe you should pay more attention to the ‘old’ fans, who also contributed to helping this club, because I can put names and faces to those three stooges.

Maybe contribute to Nsc with a discussion about a game, or the merits of a player, rather than dropping controversial decisions by others of things you deem to be ‘politically correct’, and after having lit the blue touch paper, complain when others call you out on it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't understand this decis...

'76-year-old previously used racial slurs, including n-word, and jokes about AIDS'.

Ah right. That'll probably be something to do with it.

That's not comedy, that's just bigotry.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks for that Woody, but this is a case in point why my daughter Amy is appearing in front of a Commons Select Committee next week about Internet abuse and bullying.

Guinness Boy, Clapham Gull and Frutos all hide behind screen names (those bravery tablets clearly work), perhaps if Amy and her generation do get the law change they want NSC will be a nicer place when everyone has to register exactly who they are, and are truly accountable for everything they post?

And before the ‘three stooges’ or any other members of the NSC knitting club whinge about the Lenny Rider moniker rather than Ian Hart, Mr Rider first appeared in print, Gulls Eye 1/100 in August 1988, and it became clear about 4 days later when Vinners reported the story in the Argus who exactly I was, even having those immortal words read out in the High Court case in December 1990, “Ian Geoffrey Hart also known as Leonard Arthur Rider”

Have a great Monday ��

I asked you a polite question which you didn't answer. Did you intend this to be a debate or a one way diatribe?

As a moderator, blogger and regular Albion Roar guest it would take most people about 30 seconds to find out who I am if they can use a computer. Unfortunately, because two of the board idiots did exactly that in breach of GDPR we are now at a situation where Bozza has specifically banned the revealing of identities against people's wills.

There are also a small number of posters who need the anonymity for various reasons.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Have a great Monday 👍

Where is the 'Internet abuse and bullying' in those comments?

If you think you're being 'abused', then surely referring to people 'three stooges' or 'NSC Knitting Club' probably isn't the most sensible response. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah, Mr Brown. Achieves the impossible by making Mrs Brown seem funny.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I had to sit through a video of his in 1991 where he opened with "Good evening and welcome to Blackpool. And believe me, you're f**king welcome to it". That was the funniest it got. The next 90 minutes were "bucket fanny" this and "f**k ugly" that. It was about as funny as herpes. The odd thing was that my housemate - a very likeable working class lad from Scarborough - absolutely lapped it up. To this day, I can't see why.

Anyway, as unfunny and ignorant as his sense of humour is, I do struggle with the idea of banning anybody from doing a comic routine. Nobody is forcing anyone else to watch it, and without getting into all this "woke" bollocks, it just feels like a slippery slope - a needless erosion of personal choice.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As posted above, they received complaints I think. His booking can be quite toxic. Led to a (cancelled) industrial tribunal recently at another venue when someone resigned.

B&H Council received complaints, probably many more than Sheffield Council did about Chubby Brown, about the Old Shoreham Road cycle lane when it was built. Those complaints were ignored. As said earlier, 20,000 signatures offered by those who would probably not go to the gig, probably no more than 25 complaints who would not have to listen to him either. ‘Kin ridiculous.

Never seen RCB, never had the inclination to, but I do not think I should impose my values over those that do want to see him. But then again, I don’t knit either.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I had to sit through a video of his in 1991 where he opened with "Good evening and welcome to Blackpool. And believe me, you're f**king welcome to it". That was the funniest it got. The next 90 minutes were "bucket fanny" this and "f**k ugly" that. It was about as funny as herpes. The odd thing was that my housemate - a very likeable working class lad from Scarborough - absolutely lapped it up. To this day, I can't see why.

Anyway, as unfunny and ignorant as his sense of humour is, I do struggle with the idea of banning anybody from doing a comic routine. Nobody is forcing anyone else to watch it, and without getting into all this "woke" bollocks, it just feels like a slippery slope - a needless erosion of personal choice.

To be fair, he hasn't actually been banned from doing his routine. The custodians of that particular venue just don't want to be associated with it. I am sure there are plenty more venues in and around Sheffield for people to get their fix.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe you should pay more attention to the ‘old’ fans, who also contributed to helping this club, because I can put names and faces to those three stooges.

Maybe contribute to Nsc with a discussion about a game, or the merits of a player, rather than dropping controversial decisions by others of things you deem to be ‘politically correct’, and after having lit the blue touch paper, complain when others call you out on it.
Oh and this.

To be honest Ian, you are your own worst enemy. All you ever do on here is whinge about political correctness. If we didn't know your past history, you could be easily mistaken for someone with barely a passing interest in the football club. And here, you've done it again. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] in particular is no more guilty of bullying than you are, and forgive me if I've got this wrong, but you pulling him up for internet bullying looks suspiciously like another "look at me" attempt as you proudly crowbar your daughter's latest comings and goings into the conversation.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair, he hasn't actually been banned from doing his routine. The custodians of that particular venue just don't want to be associated with it. I am sure there are plenty more venues in and around Sheffield for people to get their fix.
True, but it remains a slippery slope. The idea of insisting a venue doesn't host a "comedy gig" is ridiculous IMO. Brighton doesn't vote Tory - should Brighton residents lobby the Brighton Centre never to host a Tory conference again? What message does that give? I'll tell you - one of embarrassing intolerance.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
There’s absolutely nothing in this at all.

Gigs being cancelled and venues deciding against hosting individuals has been happening across the political spectrum throughout human history.

This is not new, and it is not war.

There’s so much energy being expended in trying to get us whipped up into a fury about this stuff. I wonder who benefits from us permanently fighting amongst ourselves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh and this.

To be honest Ian, you are your own worst enemy. All you ever do on here is whinge about political correctness. If we didn't know your past history, you could be easily mistaken for someone with barely a passing interest in the football club. And here, you've done it again. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] in particular is no more guilty of bullying than you are,

Thanks.

True, but it remains a slippery slope. The idea of insisting a venue doesn't host a "comedy gig" is ridiculous IMO. Brighton doesn't vote Tory - should Brighton residents lobby the Brighton Centre never to host a Tory conference again? What message does that give? I'll tell you - one of embarrassing intolerance.

And that's the ridiculous part of this thread. I'm really not too far away from what you've written there at all. The point of my question back was to highlight that this works both ways. Venues should not be "cancelling" a comic because of their material, but they should be free NOT to book them if they don't want to promote that sort of act. It's no different to an arts centre wanting to focus on jazz and classical instead of heavy metal :shrug:

Comedy should never be censored in my opinion but it should be challenged if it goes too far or is just blatantly unfunny. Perhaps the thing that unites Chubby and Jim Davidson is that both are now so far out of touch that they need to cry foul in order to sell tickets at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here