Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chubby Brown cancelled

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Well if the stuffed shirts at Sheffield CC own/run the theatre and don't want him performing there, then I guess thats their choice to make on behalf of everyone elses.
Councils have to make value decisions on who they will let perform at their venues. They can't just let anybody in. If for example someone wants to hold a public meeting about the subjugation of one race or another because they don't like their skin colour, then obviously the council will not let them use their venue.

If Mr Brown obnoxious enough for the council to say they don't want him? I would think so.

(Nottingham City Council once got the same sort of oppobrium for banning Ken Dodd. Not because they thought his act was inappropriate, but because people were walking out before the end and they thought his act wasn't popular. It had to be pointed out to them that the people leaving early were going because they needed to catch the last bus home - Dodd was known for going on past midnight.)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they dont like the material, why they accepted the booking in the first place?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Earlier in the year Jim Davidson (now being promoted as 'the people's comedian' no less) had a hissy fit about being 'cancelled' when he had a show in the West country moved from the town's premier venue to somewhere more modest. The promoters were very polite and kind to him and allowed him to vent his spleen about woke marxist this and cancel snowflake that and didn't mention the poor ticket sales. The subsequent coverage helped rally his fans and he nearly managed to fill the significantly smaller venue so a win win all round.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well if the stuffed shirts at Sheffield CC own/run the theatre and don't want him performing there, then I guess thats their choice to make on behalf of everyone elses.

It's a civic venue, run by a charity and that's where you will see cold feet. However is free to perform at a variety of other privately owned venues. As I said, venues have blocked him for years. It's a complete non story.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's a civic venue, run by a charity and that's where you will see cold feet. However is free to perform at a variety of other privately owned venues. As I said, venues have blocked him for years. It's a complete non story.

...which is fair enough. It does make me wonder why the booking was "cancelled" though (thus 'making a story'), as opposed to just simply not accepting it in the first place :shrug:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
if they dont like the material, why they accepted the booking in the first place?

They received complaints, I think.

His booking has caused all sorts of arguments over the years. He'd be best advised to stay well clear and stay with the privately owned ones. Unless he's after free publicity of course.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...which is fair enough. It does make me wonder why the booking was "cancelled" though (thus 'making a story'), as opposed to just simply not accepting it in the first place :shrug:

As posted above, they received complaints I think. His booking can be quite toxic. Led to a (cancelled) industrial tribunal recently at another venue when someone resigned.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As posted above, they received complaints I think. His booking can be quite toxic. Led to a (cancelled) industrial tribunal recently at another venue when someone resigned.

I guess maybe someone discovered something offensive he scrawled in chalk on a wall when he was 14.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Brown would make an excellent warm up act for Sticky Vicky in Benidorm.
In fact he could stay there and sponge a living by doing the 3 pubs a night routine by British hopeless wannabes washed up entertainers.
His audience still exist in the thousands in Benidorm and it means he will never be seen on our shores again.
Brown is as funny as a paper cut on your knob.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
On the same level as a bakery refusing to make a cake for a gay wedding.

Plenty of other bakeries out there and plenty of other venues to book a show at.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
From my reading of this story it doesn't seem to be the left that are infuriated by it.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Quite! It’s got nothing to do with the woke agenda. It’s just as likely that the blue-rinse Conservative party latter-day Mary Whitehouse brigade would be up in arms. He was being refused venues before political correctness was an issue.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Seems not getting Knitting Club approval before posting a thread for discussion is an excuse for mob rule and personal slights.

Thanks for that Woody, but this is a case in point why my daughter Amy is appearing in front of a Commons Select Committee next week about Internet abuse and bullying.

Guinness Boy, Clapham Gull and Frutos all hide behind screen names (those bravery tablets clearly work), perhaps if Amy and her generation do get the law change they want NSC will be a nicer place when everyone has to register exactly who they are, and are truly accountable for everything they post?

And before the ‘three stooges’ or any other members of the NSC knitting club whinge about the Lenny Rider moniker rather than Ian Hart, Mr Rider first appeared in print, Gulls Eye 1/100 in August 1988, and it became clear about 4 days later when Vinners reported the story in the Argus who exactly I was, even having those immortal words read out in the High Court case in December 1990, “Ian Geoffrey Hart also known as Leonard Arthur Rider”

Have a great Monday 👍

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Interesting thread.

I’m assuming we’ll have a similar contributions when Sheffield ban Anjem Choudary from speaking - should it happen.

After all, if Brown can stir his own form of humour, can’t Choudary stir his agenda?

Why not give the anti-vaxers a stage as well? And Tommy Robinson.

Where do we start and stop?

Personally, I think the council have a duty not to enable division. Brown falls into that camp.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57878910

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Thanks for that Woody, but this is a case in point why my daughter Amy is appearing in front of a Commons Select Committee next week about Internet abuse and bullying.

Guinness Boy, Clapham Gull and Frutos all hide behind screen names (those bravery tablets clearly work), perhaps if Amy and her generation do get the law change they want NSC will be a nicer place when everyone has to register exactly who they are, and are truly accountable for everything they post?

And before the ‘three stooges’ or any other members of the NSC knitting club whinge about the Lenny Rider moniker rather than Ian Hart, Mr Rider first appeared in print, Gulls Eye 1/100 in August 1988, and it became clear about 4 days later when Vinners reported the story in the Argus who exactly I was, even having those immortal words read out in the High Court case in December 1990, “Ian Geoffrey Hart also known as Leonard Arthur Rider”

Have a great Monday 👍

But it seems quite reasonable, and not unkind, to point out that you start a lot of threads like this and then don’t contribute any further to the debate that you started. And that seems to be the only personal slight against you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wouldn’t buy a ticket as don’t find him funny, prefer comedy that punches up rather than down so his lazy misogyny fails to float my boat. It is the equivalent of me choosing not to watch reality TV, rather than moan about it I just watch something else or listen to a podcast or the radio.

Comedy is offensive as there is usually a target for the joke, remove anything that people might find offensive (politics, sport, media outlets etc.) and all you are left with is juggling.

At the same time we live in a liberal democracy where other people’s choices should be respected provided they are not breaking any rules. Debate is good and should be encouraged, sneering, cancel culture and intolerance less so.

There’s an excellent article in The Economist about how the illiberal left have messed up and are allowing trurh and science conspiracy deniers to flourish (possibly behind a paywall).

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2021/09/04/the-threat-from-the-illiberal-left The threat from the illiberal left from TheEconomist

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
what does that even mean?

wellquickwoody always cries like a little bitch when people point out the complete non story of something he or his chums want to get their knickers in a twist about. Didn't he once refer to NSC as North Korea stand chat or something equally embarrassing?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
But it seems quite reasonable, and not unkind, to point out that you start a lot of threads like this and then don’t contribute any further to the debate that you started. And that seems to be the only personal slight against you.

This. It's objectively true.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The thing with Roy Chubby Brown is that himself and his audience genuinely seem to find the material funny, they kind of believe in it. That’s sinister.

I’ve seen Jerry Sadowitz live and in terms of offensive material, it make RCB look like Justin Fletcher. But the show is about your reaction to the most offensive stuff you could possibly hear or conceive, it’s a kind of immersive experience as he picks on every minority and hurls abuse at them. The audience don’t know whether to laugh or leave. Hecklers get spat at or he pulls his Johnson out, presents it with the mic, and it takes over the routine. But you know in his private life (not the character on stage) he abhors all discrimination.

RCB is just dull, unimaginative and scary in comparison because you kind of know that he believes in what he preaches, his best work was in the League Of Gentleman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here