Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chubby Brown cancelled

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Another one who despite being "cancelled" won't shut the **** up. It's almost like he has a tour to promote or something

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A colleague at work played me a Chubby Brown video once - was to far OTT to me. although at times grudgingly funny (always with an 'Aww, no, you shouldn't go there!' sort of cringe). I can see how he could cause wokes, snowflakes, millenials and all those who think anybody's who's English should have to do pennance to anyone who wants a bit of schadenfraude because the Tudors were muredeous b**tards, to have apoplexy.
So I've come to a comfortable compromise. Carry on, Mr. Brown, infuriate them, drive 'em to the edge of distraction, apoplexy an optional extra, just so long as I don't have to watch/listen, OK?
From my reading of this story it doesn't seem to be the left that are infuriated by it.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
A colleague at work played me a Chubby Brown video once - was to far OTT to me. although at times grudgingly funny (always with an 'Aww, no, you shouldn't go there!' sort of cringe). I can see how he could cause wokes, snowflakes, millenials and all those who think anybody's who's English should have to do pennance to anyone who wants a bit of schadenfraude because the Tudors were muredeous b**tards, to have apoplexy.
So I've come to a comfortable compromise. Carry on, Mr. Brown, infuriate them, drive 'em to the edge of distraction, apoplexy an optional extra, just so long as I don't have to watch/listen, OK?

If you are going to use 'big words' at least spell them correctly even if you don't know what they mean.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If 20,000 people have signed the petition, then 20,000 will buy tickets. Except they won’t.

I didn’t realise he was still going.

I hope he stops soon. I really don’t think he adds anything of value. Snide racist and sexist remarks can be consigned to the dustbin for me.

If Sheffield don’t want him playing their venues, then fair dos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I didn’t know this, which venue?
I saw him in Blackpool in 97 but don’t remember seeing any advertising for Brighton shows.

Would have been The Dome or Corn Exchange. I got free tickets to see him around the time of his Living Next Door To Alice cover being a hit. I had friends who’d seen him before at the same venue so I know it wasn’t a one off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you are going to use 'big words' at least spell them correctly even if you don't know what they mean.

F*ck off, and don't be a knob - although you probably can't help it. I do know what words mean - even big ones - and can spell them, thank you - late at night under dimmed light typos can occur, so don't expect an apology from me. Or a warm welcome for your unwanted snide replies.

Think I'll put you on ignore - you seem a bit sh*t.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd never bother going to a Chubby Brown gig, because I find him about as funny as pancreatic cancer. But if some people like his schtick and actually deliberately buy a ticket to go and see his show, then what right has anyone else to say "no sorry - you're not watching that". Its pathetic. You don't like it - don't bloody pay to go and watch it.

I await the swathes of whataboutery.

Yeah, but this has been going on for years with him. It isn't new. Clearly the most offensive comedian on the circuit (it's his USP) so inevitably he can't pick and choose where he performs and has never been able to.

Due to his material, the theatre also has to think of all sorts of potential legal issues.

He's also a bit of a risk commercially, doesn't take heckling well and there are a number of stories about him walking off stage and ending the act.

Last edited:

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
F*ck off, and don't be a knob - although you probably can't help it. I do know what words mean - even big ones - and can spell them, thank you - late at night under dimmed light typos can occur, so don't expect an apology from me. Or a warm welcome for your unwanted snide replies.

:tantrum:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd never bother going to a Chubby Brown gig, because I find him about as funny as pancreatic cancer. But if some people like his schtick and actually deliberately buy a ticket to go and see his show, then what right has anyone else to say "no sorry - you're not watching that". Its pathetic. You don't like it - don't bloody pay to go and watch it.

I await the swathes of whataboutery.

Nobody is saying he can't perform his material and that people aren't allowed to go. All the Sheffield City council are saying is that he isn't going to do in their City Hall! I'm sure other venues are available.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not sure why this stuff is suddenly evidence of woke /cancel culture. I mean I get why some people choose to push this narrative but do we really have to buy it?

Artists have had shows cancelled for years for varying reasons. Off the top of my head I can think of Stewart Lee, The Sex Pistols and Beastie Boys having shows cancelled. I'm sure some digging would provide many more.

I wonder if there is actually any evidence that more shows are getting canceled in these 'woke' times or if there is just a willingness to shine a spotlight to provide evidence for someone's agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that if an artist, venue and audience wish to create an event then they should be allowed to. Of course none of these should be forced or coerced into putting on something they feel uncomfortable with.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure why this stuff is suddenly evidence of woke /cancel culture. I mean I get why some people choose to push this narrative but do we really have to buy it?

Artists have had shows cancelled for years for varying reasons. Off the top of my head I can think of Stewart Lee, The Sex Pistols and Beastie Boys having shows cancelled. I'm sure some digging would provide many more.

I wonder if there is actually any evidence that more shows are getting canceled in these 'woke' times or if there is just a willingness to shine a spotlight to provide evidence for someone's agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that if an artist, venue and audience wish to create an event then they should be allowed to. Of course none of these should be forced or coerced into putting on something they feel uncomfortable with.

Of course, very good post.

Jerry Springer The Opera, being the Stewart Lee show, except in this case he isn't being put out of business.

One venue has decided against him playing, but countless others have in the past for various reasons. Won't stop him playing all the other venues on the tour.

Just another click bait runaway thread.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Real name Royston Vasey, the name chosen for the town in League of Gentlemen, fact fans. Though I think most people know that.

Seems like a thoroughly unpleasant chap. I’m not surprised some venues don’t want his act on their stage. Who honestly would want a fat old git in a stupid clowns outfit in their venue saying the N word and laughing at homosexuals for a few cheap laughs from an audience of backwards nitwits? Hardly the image most venues wish to put out there is it.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
FFS cancel this , cancel that , oh do F-orf

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Was funny about 10 years ago and before that.

The last one i watched i thought it was repetitive shite and i found it unfunny.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, but this has been going on for years with him. It isn't new. Clearly the most offensive comedian on the circuit (it's his USP) so inevitably he can't pick and choose where he performs and has never been able to.

Due to his material, the theatre also has to think of all sorts of potential legal issues.

He's also a bit of a risk commercially, doesn't take heckling well and there are a number of stories about him walking off stage and ending the act.

Well if the stuffed shirts at Sheffield CC own/run the theatre and don't want him performing there, then I guess thats their choice to make on behalf of everyone elses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here