Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Argentina v Brazil......

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
England currently has some of the highest Covid transmission rates in the world and of one of the deadliest variants……….hard to argue with the health officials tbf
Not sure why football thinks itself above such things :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
England currently has some of the highest Covid transmission rates in the world and of one of the deadliest variants……….hard to argue with the health officials tbf

Yes, good for Brazil authorities to start taking Covid-19 seriously after *checks notes* 583,000+ deaths...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Agreed... But weird this is happening in Brazil, which has the highest covid rates in the world and hasn't really given a shit about stopping transmission since this whole thing started.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sounds like some very dodgy tactics from the Brazilian authorities there, which isn't that surprising given how corrupt Brazil currently is.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Understandably Brazil a bit miffed. As I understand it, they were missing several players themselves due to covid rules and/or EPL clubs not releasing players yet Argentina think it doesn't apply to them. Assuming those Premier League players will also have to isolate on their return!!!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Why would Spurs or Villa be in trouble?

As I understand it, the Premier League decreed that no players should travel to red list countries. Spurs and Villa thought better of that.

Brazil no doubt miffed their English based players couldn't travel - found a reason to ban those from Argentina.

It's a total mess - with FIFA also complicit in the dodgy decision making too. Requesting that the UK government act in a different way - which they refused.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As I understand it, the Premier League decreed that no players should travel to red list countries. Spurs and Villa thought better of that.

Brazil no doubt miffed their English based players couldn't travel - found a reason to ban those from Argentina.

It's a total mess - with FIFA also complicit in the dodgy decision making too. Requesting that the UK government act in a different way - which they refused.

The PL have no control over stopping players going on international breaks, the clubs certainly dont.

Villa and Spurs both told the players they didnt want them to go and they went.

I imagine those that didnt go could get banned by FIFA for no showing.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I have to deal with ANVISA on a fairly regular basis and they are, without doubt, the most officious and stubborn of all the national medicine/health regulators. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they have taken this somewhat unorthadox approach to enforcing their rules....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
The players will have to self isolate on return to the UK. Villa & Spurs must be well pissed at the whole (avoidable) mess

Mitch73

Sep 2, 2021
The players will have to self isolate on return to the UK. Villa & Spurs must be well pissed at the whole (avoidable) mess

It'll be interesting to see if their return is delayed even further now. If the Brazilians force them to quarantine over there and they have to self-isolate back on their return then they're going to be out for weeks...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Welcome to a Crimewatch special. This week we'll be showing highlights of the Tottenham and Aston Villa games..."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Agreed... But weird this is happening in Brazil, which has the highest covid rates in the world and hasn't really given a shit about stopping transmission since this whole thing started.

Isn’t that a bit like saying “because it’s out of control there’s no point in doing anything?”
I do get that it’s probably political but we’re not really in a position to criticise that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here