Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Who introduced you to Football (or any other sport you love)?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In my case my mates at school and then friends when I moved to Brighton, my parents had no interest whatsoever in any sport apart from Club/Army rugby which my father played.

I envy those of you who were interested because your relatives took you. I failed miserably with my kids, my son preferred playing rugby and my daughter was probably put off sport by being dragged as a nipper to her brother’s weekly rugby games. Neither enjoyed being taken to arse end of the league Albion matches!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Local estate, where all the kids played football, either on Chanctonbury Hill or over the school playing fields for London Road or Oakmeeds... It's all we seemed to know in those days, that and going off on all day bike rides!

Good days!

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Has to be Taybha, his passion and loyalty to all things Brighton and Hove Albion was infectious and hard not to at least take a interest, I hated football and everything that went with it until I met him,whilst I like going to the Amex it's a 6 hour drive so take in more away games up north absolutely love the weekends away now whenever I can, Brighton and Hove Albion play a large part in my social and everyday life, never thought football would change my lifestyle but it certainly has, and for the better whatever the result on the day.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Dad was a TT Motorcycle racer so had to be Motorsport.

Mum had seen how many of his mates had been killed so me & my brothers went Karting instead.

Went to a Motocross meeting and saw a Rider have all his teeth smashed out by a high sider so not Bikes for me,

Amazing time for Karting. Mansell, Prost & Senna all raced Karts in my era.

Did win a few Club & Regional Championships but not enough dosh (or probably talent) to go any further.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My Stepbrother, used to take me to watch Chelsea when I was very young. His first team is Palace so it could have been a lot, lot worse. I didn’t enjoy it tbh, standing under the shed or whatever it’s called with a load of fat, shouty blokes. I didn’t enjoy football again until I started going to Withdean in my early twenties.

Geography Teacher at 6th Form introduced me to rock climbing and outdoor pursuits, his encouragement and mentoring led me onto teach climbing and later get my stunt training and work in film. So that was the biggest introduction as it were.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My uncle Ian took me to my first Albion game, he died of Covid last week.

:down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I already really liked The Big Match, the 1974 WC, FA Cup finals and R2 football commentaries of England games.

But never dreamt of going to games. I was at Primary School and we lived outside of Brighton & Hove.

The one of my older brothers took me to an Albion game at the Goldstone in January 1976. Hooked for life.

Skiing - the 1976 Winter Olympics, Franz Klammer and all that, then BBC2's Ski Sunday. Still my passion, I first went in 1980 with school.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My mum and step dad were not into sport in the slightest, so my forst football @ 6-7 was in Steyning in `Breach Close with my cousin and all the kids there. Norman Trussler, played and refereed locally for years, and is a close family friend, and a few of his mates took me to the Goldstone not long after.

My dad was into motorsport so we got taken to various Bognor Regis motor club events as kids, also rallies and BTCC which is where I first saw historic saloons. Around 1992

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My late Father was a referee and lifelong Albion fan. Took me to a game at the Goldstone aged 4 or so, and I was hooked for life.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My dad. He took me to Albion games when I was a kid and coached youth and men's teams I played in. Reffed a fair few of my matches too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My mate Dave Young from Withdean introduced me to the Albion.

He moved away years ago to marry a dragon from the north. Saw the error of his ways, but never moved back. Not even sure if he follows the Albion any more. I hope so.

Thanks Dave. Miss ya.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably... E-type.

No real sports interest in my family and while I played a little bit of football for fun, my first contact with elite sports was definitely when I read that E-Type made the official song for Euro 2000 and at the same time finding out that Sweden would participate in a tournament for the first time in six years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETNZ-eIaFM

Its a bit sad really... not sure I want E-Type to have that kind of impact on my life.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In my case it was nobody. On a whim, when we were 11 and still at St Nicks juniors, me and a classmate (Andy Fryer) walked from Portslade to the Goldstone with our younger brothers (aged 8) and paid about two bob (10p) to stand behind the South goal and watch the Albion beat Barrow in division 3. We started going regularly after that.

A few years later the old man (originally from London and an attendee at the Den in the 1930s) got an interest in the Albion so we'd get a lift in with him. We (me and various school mates) stood with him on the East terrace for a few games, but he was always on Harry Wilson's back (very tedious), so we went back to watching behind the South goal. We could spot him on the East terrace in his red wooly hat that mum knitted him. He gave us a lift in and home, which was nice, although he had a tendency to go off on one which could be irksome.

Later dad got a season ticket and when I was at uni and during the following 3 years after I'd left home (mid 70s to 80s) I'd often go to games with him when I came down at the weekend (the girlfriend worked Saturdays). I can remember how we'd sit in silence on the car outside the garage when we got back home, listening to Sports Report. Lineker and Lynex seemed to be doing well at Leicester at the time.

I was always a bit lukewarm about the football back then. The heathen badly-dressed twattery left me cold. It wasn't really till I'd turned 40 and we had to play home games at Gillingham that I really got into it. That was also self-directed. Oddball :lolol:

Last edited:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
hated football until the cup run in 83... the atmosphere in sussex was superb.. players out and about to sign autographs and the cheesy record... hooked from then on... sister ( on NSC) and bro in law.. took me to my first game , aged 11...as an Xmas present that year.. unsure whether to thank them or not lol...

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
My wonderful father . Took me to the Albion in 1970 and the inaugural Cricket World Cup Final at Lords in 1975 - I have been in love with both sports every since.

He still potters up the 90 odd steps to the WSU with me most games.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
My late Dad took me to The Dell to watch "our team" Man United, George Best, Bobby Charlton all the superstars, I was hooked aged sevenish. Next game he took me to The Dell I saw Bestie score a hat trick. I started watching Brighton as soon as I could drive. Old first Division 1- 1 draw with Villa. From that day I fell in love with Albion and Dumped Man U. Always get stick for being a United fan but I always say I am a United fan but loyal Brighton supporter.

Last edited:

boik

Grandad was a spongeman for Horsham so I went there from a very young age. used to go in the changing rooms and occasionally on the team coach for away matches.

Started going to Brighton with Grandad in the early 70s when he could get us a lift with his friend. Went regularly once I got a car in 77 and took Grandad a few times. On the way home he always declared that it was "the worst game of football ever I seen". Still kept going though!

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
My Dad. Had a shop (still does) on Blatchington Road. Used to take me to work on a Saturday, close the shop at 1, and then some lunch and a quick walk up to the goldstone ground. Fell in love with the game and the Albion there and then

It was only years later he told me he used to get free tickets as he knew one of the directors at Nobo the cheapskate!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hated cricket for years after being made to score as a punishment at boarding school. When I turned 38 I went to the County ground with my oldest friend. Been hooked ever since. What a difference beer makes :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here