Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] What was the first Sporting event you remember?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Following on from [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] thread What was the first news story you remember?

Post your first Sporting memories:

Local - Albion winning promotion 1979
National - Fa Cup Final Man Utd v Arsenal 1979
International - World Cup 1978 Argentina

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Local- Brighton 2 Bristol Rovers 8

National- 1971 Cup Final (Arsenal-Liverpool)

International-England 1 Poland 1 (1973)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
TV wise, all the Munich '72 shenanigans....some men in masks near a hotel and Mary Peters.

All a bit scrambled.

Sniffer's diving header in the Cup Final.

ONE NIL in true Coleman style.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
My sister taking me to Hove when Sussex played SA in 1965 - I still have pics of the Eng and SA test teams that year which my sis bought me!
Vague memories of the ‘64 cup final when WH beat Preston 3-2 - it was on my 7th birthday!
1966 World Cup and how initially disappointed I was when the first match ended 0-0

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
1961 FA cup Final - Spurs v Burnley.
It clashed with a family party and all the men in the family were gathered round the tiny TV in the front room. I was 7.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
National - the England v Windies test series in 63
Local - Sussex beating the Windies in 66. I'd been to the County Ground a couple of times before this but can't remember much about the games, but this one stood out.
International - the 1966 World Cup, what else?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
First sporting event attended: F1 International Trophy at a streaming grey, wet, windy & cold Silverstone, won by Graham Hill from Jim Clark & John Surtees, all to become sporting heroes. This was in 1962, before my 5th birthday. Clearly my late Father decided it was time to prepare me for the tradition of many long wet & cold days at British race tracks and other sports events.:)

First I recall on TV - scratchy black & white images from the 1964 Tokyo Olympics

First Albion game: 5 Nov 1966 2-0 v Oldham, under the lights at The Goldstone.

Dear God, I'm old...!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1961 FA cup Final - Spurs v Burnley.
It clashed with a family party and all the men in the family were gathered round the tiny TV in the front room. I was 7.

The season that turned this young glory hunter into a long distance Spurs fan, the double season :smile:

I changed horses in 1976 after going to a few Albion games, having never seen Spurs live.

International - 1966 World Cup

Local - school trip to Kent cricket ground to watch Colin Cowdrey’s team, no idea who they played, early sixties

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
First I recall on TV - scratchy black & white images from the 1964 Tokyo Olympics

Ah yes, scratch my 1966 WC memory, I do recall this.

I remember our head teacher at Fairlight measuring out Lynn Davies's jump in the school hall. She wanted to show how far he'd had to leap to win his gold medal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ah yes, scratch my 1966 WC memory, I do recall this.

I remember our head teacher at Fairlight measuring out Lynn Davies's jump in the school hall. She wanted to show how far he'd had to leap to win his gold medal

Did the same with Bob Beamon’s 29 ft Triple Jump. I clearly remember our awe at such a distance having measured it out

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Bradford City v Liverpool, 27th August 1980. League Cup 2nd Round. I was 9 years old.

Stood behind the goal and chuckled as the (very bored) Ray Clemence took dogs abuse from the fans for a whole half. He took it well and just laughed along as he leaned on his goalpost. :lolol:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I got hit my head on the floor in the men's loo. I'm having a lot of trouble remembering things. Did Brighton beat Burnley this past month? It's still somewhat fuzzy.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Following on from [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] thread What was the first news story you remember?

Post your first Sporting memories:

Local - Albion winning promotion 1979
National - Fa Cup Final Man Utd v Arsenal 1979
International - World Cup 1978 Argentina

As the youngsters say, 'this'. I'll hazard a guess and say happy 50th for sometime recent or sometime soon.

el punal

Was it PotG?

It certainly was. Talk about being overpriced, it cost me 2d (that’s two pennies in old money!). I just had enough money left to buy some bread and dripping and a pack of Woodbines. Not much of a crowd, just over 13,000 but then Stamford Bridge used to be a bit of a dump in those days, still, the atmosphere was great. The lads got a great reception when they paraded the shield around the pitch after the game. Some little wag even managed to scrawl on a piece of wood ‘Charlie Webb can I have your shirt please’. :drink:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Local: Stanley Matthews and Danny Blanchflower turned up at the local non-league club before a game. Somewhere I've still got photos I took with my little instamatic and their autographs on scraps of paper. I had no idea who they were but remember a lot of very excited people and Sir Stanley calling me his pal.

National: 1982 World Cup. Lots of memories of the build up and seeing souvenirs in the shops, collecting the Panini stickers with my brother, and rushing home from school and seeing the famous 27 second goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here