Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] price gouging

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
anyone else noticed this ...?? everything from crisps to cheese to chocolate and numerous other supermarket stuff , prices going up , sizes going down , petrol/diesel going through the roof , building materials , steel in particular , up 30% in the last 3 months .....wtf is going on , someones making a jerking fortune out there and it ain't us....not brexit related either it's a global thing .......countries that are able to keep going are being bled dry by some caaaant , i smell a massive rat....!!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Our shopping bill has notably increased over the last couple of years but not sure as to the exact reasons why. Delays at ports and increased paper work probably doesn't help from the stuff we do import, but if we pay another £10 or £15 a week now on our groceries, there's not much we can do.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Our shopping bill has notably increased over the last couple of years but not sure as to the exact reasons why. Delays at ports and increased paper work probably doesn't help from the stuff we do import, but if we pay another £10 or £15 a week now on our groceries, there's not much we can do.

x that by 3 or 4 and you're looking at reality .....crisps , chocolate and cheese are a prime example , pre packaged by weight , the net weight has gone down by 30% and the price es have gone up by 20% ....bread and bread rolls is another classic and don't get me started on petrol and beer.......i sometimes think is everyone just sat indoors for a week and didn't go out and spend anything these ****ers might realise we are on to them ....there are numerous big companies here that , despite taking 10's of millions in jobskeeper/furlough payments have posted record profits...it's just wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nope. not noticed any particular prices rises, except IT stuff and petrol. my weekly/monthly shopping is around the same give or take a few quid.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Lots of factors. Some obvious ones:

- Slowed production following pandemic
- High energy/fuel prices
- High inflation
- Carbon emission targets

not applicable here mate....we are looking at across the board increases of at least 25% for food , fuel and building materials , but you watch me tell Mrs.Bungflap that the bathroom o quoted her 5 months ago has gone up 40% in price ....:lolol: good luck with that one , we are getting mugged.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The best ones are the ‘reduced price’ electrical ‘bargains’ as advertised by places like Currys, Argos etc and when you read the small print they had a £500 TV listed at £1 more for a couple of weeks prior.

:amex:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I usually don't get involved in the Brexit bullsh1t, but that is crap this has been going on for years nothing new just maximising profile at the consumers expense.

yep.....while they've got us all quivering in our boots about covid , afghanistan and refugees they our picking our pockets ....100% turds.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Happy to help. Thought I would get things going a bit.

Things being expensive is hardly a new point, BBC from 2001: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1136184.stm

More interestingly, are Napster right to start charging people: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1142815.stm

it's a big world out there mate ....which is what i was referring to , plucking your head out of your coight will give you a great position from which to augment the rest of your life.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I think the worst of the price rises are yet to come and Brexit will definitely be a factor in that, people who voted for Brexit might not want to accept it but there was always going to be some problems and I thought that this was actually accepted by most Brexiteers?

I own a care business and traditionally many care companies have relied on European workers, now a lot of these have gone, there are far less people looking for work which has made recruiting 100% more challenging. Last year we recruited to a role and had 100 applicants, this year we tried to recruit to the same role and had 20! Its got so bad that a care home in our area is offering £1000 golden handshake! With margins being extremely tight in care as it is it this isn't sustainable in the longer term without price rises.

I suspect that something similar is being seen in other sectors.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
anyone else noticed this ...?? everything from crisps to cheese to chocolate and numerous other supermarket stuff , prices going up , sizes going down , petrol/diesel going through the roof , building materials , steel in particular , up 30% in the last 3 months .....wtf is going on , someones making a jerking fortune out there and it ain't us....not brexit related either it's a global thing .......countries that are able to keep going are being bled dry by some caaaant , i smell a massive rat....!!

Of course it's Brexit related!

nope. not noticed any particular prices rises, except IT stuff and petrol. my weekly/monthly shopping is around the same give or take a few quid.

I have found the price rises very noticeable, particularly on staple items.

In Morrisons (basically the only option round here - but fortunately it's a lot better than down south), I have recently noticed that pasta has gone from 3 x 500g packets for £1 to 2 packets for £1, an 8-pack of poppadoms has gone from 65p to £1.40, etc.

I would say our weekly shop has gone from ~£110 to ~£170 for more or less the same stuff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
this has been going on for years nothing new just maximising profile at the consumers expense.

(narrator's voice) The UK has been in deflationary period where prices have been going down for the last few years

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/uk-retail-deflation-slows-hinting-of-inflation-2021-04-28

https://moneyweek.com/economy/global-economy/602552/will-2021-hold-one-last-deflation-scare

https://www.retaileconomics.co.uk/retail-insights/uk-on-the-verge-of-deflation

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Haven't some of the big suppliers already warned that there will be shortages of certain things at Christmas. This almost seems like an open declaration that they will be hiking up the prices of these items due to basic supply and demand. Greedy buggers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here