Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] 9/11 - BBC1 doc just started

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hmmm. It was my 49th birthday. It seems like an age ago and I’m feeling pretty old now.

I remember picking my wife up from work to go to the gym, then on entering the gym, no music, only wall to wall Sky News reporting on the tragic event.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember picking my wife up from work to go to the gym, then on entering the gym, no music, only wall to wall Sky News reporting on the tragic event.

I was at home on holiday, we were flying to Italy the next day and I happened to turn on the TV news as the first tower was hit. I genuinely thought terrorism straight away, recalling the basement bombing there.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Was doing a removal right next to Gatwick. Customer said something on the news mentioned a small plane crashed into one of the towers. We stopped while he looked on the news, saw the second plane hit and we all suddenly became very aware of all the aircraft overhead.
We all just stood and watched the horrendous day unfold, people throwing themselves out the buildings will always stick in my mind. To be that desperate, death being a certainty, doesn't bear thinking about. Those poor people.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A very good friend of mine was one of the lucky ones who walked out of the South Tower before the second plane hit.

I cannot even begin to imagine what that must have been like, but I do know it had a profound effect on his life afterwards. He was determined to live it as fully as possible because, as he said, you have no idea what is round the corner.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was 12 and playing a MUD when someone in the MUD told me what happened. Since I didnt know what World Trade Center was or, as someone growing up in the optimistic 90s with very little events of this kind, had no real perception when it came to the magnitute of the event. Changed as soon as I turned on the TV, obviously.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The recent events in Afghanistan are are a timely reminder that stretches back to the 9/11 events.
It's ironic that 20 years on, the infidels are calling the shots once again :(

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
We are watching the documentary …

I was at a mortgage lender roadshow event in Birmingham that September morning in 2001. Had a bit of lunch after … jumped in my car to head home and then when I was on the M40 the news started to filter through on 5 Live. Initially they were reporting it as a small/light aircraft hitting one of the towers … how quickly things changed.

I can’t remember the journey home as was transfixed by what was coming from the radio … and then watched it all on tv when I got home.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was still at school. Shortly after lunch the fire bell rings (not an uncommon event in an all boys school), we all filed out to the playground and then it got weird. We were all told to sit down while the teachers had a conference at the front (out of earshot) before we all went back in as though nothing had happened. To this day I have no idea if it was related, but the timings and weirdness (this never happened any other time during 5 years at that school except that afternoon). Eventually went home and saw the news and just utterly failed to comprehend it. As with most kids of the 1990s the world changed for us that day, the innocence went away.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I was in an A Level Sociology lesson. Someone came in late, having been watching it unfold, and announced that "America has been blown up".

Got home and turned on the TV, just utterly surreal and horrifying.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was in one of those tedious budget / planning meetings at RSA Insurance in Horsham. We came out late lunchtime and grabbed some chairs in the restaurant by a TV set to debrief and wondered why people kept coming by to see if the TV was on. We eventually switched it on just as the first tower fell. I thought I was watching a film not live news footage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My parents were in Boston’s US Naval Dockyard, when understandably aggressive gun-wielding military police appeared from all angles to tell visitors to get the hell off the site.

I think they’d flown in the day before, the same airport later used by the murderers.

For my parents the beginning of a three week holiday around New England, by the time of their return home flights had resumed. But I recall a huge number of full airliners being holed up at normally remote airports in places such as New Brunswick and Newfoundland for days.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was standing on a crate, hammer and bolster in hand, hacking plaster of the wall of a house in Lorna Road, Hove.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I was sitting in The Juggs car park listening to TalkSport and waiting for my daughter to come out of school.
Suddenly it went to Mike Parry describing how the first plane hit.
As I arrived back home the second plane hit.
The following evening I found out Robert Eaton was missing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was in an A Level Sociology lesson. Someone came in late, having been watching it unfold, and announced that "America has been blown up".

Got home and turned on the TV, just utterly surreal and horrifying.

Almost exactly the same for me, except it was A Level Maths!

A couple of people mentioned something and I wasn't really sure what the WTC was. So the magnitude of it didn't hit me until I got home and spent the afternoon watching the news.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was in the office, got a video news feed of the 1st plane hitting the tower then as a few colleagues gathered around the 2nd one hit. Then we went home, watched a bit on the telly, then we went to the football, and it was just strange and shocking.

The day/evening before we’d been on a nighttime ride on the London Eye, one of our groups husband worked in ATC. We were looking straight down the flight path to Heathrow watching planes going over, and she said that it was her husbands, and ATC’s, biggest fear that one day a plane would come down in a city.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I had just finished uni and I was working for an insurance company in Coventry. As it happened the office block was the tallest in Coventry city centre so everyone was in a bit of a panic. It was surreal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here