Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Flies

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
F*cking EVERYWHERE down the seafront today. What gives ?

I secured what I felt was an excellent table for 4 on the roof terrace at the Rockwater on Hove seafront this afternoon (previously The View), but after our drinks arrived, it quickly became unmanageable as we were FESTOONED with swarms of those tiny little b*stard fruit flies. I just cannot stand flies on my beer glass, being as they've spent the day feasting on shit and buzzing all round dogs arses. It drove us indoors, and then along to the indoors of The Sussex (which was blissfully fly-free). Even the 700 bus along had hundreds of the little twats all over the windows.

Its not acceptable. Whats Barber going to do about it ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bizarre.

We went for a walk from Goring Gap along to East Preston and back this afternoon and it was fly central. Bloody everywhere they were.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Not flies but Saturday night I came home from work to find at least 80 to 100+ midges on my ceiling and walls. It was quite freaking spooky to see that many. I soon got it together and decided that a quick wizz with the Dyson would soon evict the little buggers.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Well, it can't be a flying ant type infestation because I had a delightful walk and lunch on Plymouth Hoe with my dog and I can confirm that her arse attracted not 1 fly and my whole dressed crab was also fly free.
We're they fruit flies?
I seem to remember, years ago, about a certain type of fly that hatches at a certain time of year, in certain conditions from seaweed at low tide or eggs that are laid in sand and hatch from maggots.
Something like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I cannot recall more flies lately, of the tiny kind.

We actually resorted to covering our drinks with our plague masks. Otherwise, within seconds, you had them all over the glass rim and swimming in your drink. The staff at the Rockwater were apologising, but there was nothing they could do about it. I was quite up for a bit of lunch there, but the swarm put paid to that and we were clearly not the only ones. You'd not usually get as many free tables there on a bank holiday. Its absolutely unacceptable. Barber and the Green Party have destroyed this town.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
There was an off-shore wind today. The usual number of flies (especially the small weak flyers) are being blown around as usual but because of the off-shore wind they are being blown over the beaches. The sea means certain death which forces them to lower under-carriage and land in your ice-cream or beer in large numbers.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
There have been a shit load of fruit flies on the seafront since the middle of last week, no idea why. We live not far off the seafront and not noticed an increase at all in our garden/house. Very strange - seems to be only right on the seafront

Jan 30, 2008
F*cking EVERYWHERE down the seafront today. What gives ?

I secured what I felt was an excellent table for 4 on the roof terrace at the Rockwater on Hove seafront this afternoon (previously The View), but after our drinks arrived, it quickly became unmanageable as we were FESTOONED with swarms of those tiny little b*stard fruit flies. I just cannot stand flies on my beer glass, being as they've spent the day feasting on shit and buzzing all round dogs arses. It drove us indoors, and then along to the indoors of The Sussex (which was blissfully fly-free). Even the 700 bus along had hundreds of the little twats all over the windows.

Its not acceptable. Whats Barber going to do about it ?

https://youtu.be/OnIXXe83fe4

Regards
DF

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Whilst walking back home along the sea front this evening, a little insect came up behind me and playfully slapped me on the bottom.
I think it was a fruity-fly?

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I believe that they are sand flies that are normally around and about in May/ June but are later this year. I too had the misfortune of walking through swarms of the buggers on Hove / Brighton seafront.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Possibly rotting seaweed and calm seas , no real onshore wind to wash out the maggots within the weed so millions of flies is the end result, seaweed is the perfect incubator for maggots I use it all the time when I need a pint of White's for fishing, it may not be the reason but it's highly likely and The worthing beaches area always has tons of weed on the beaches, well it used to anyway.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I went skateboarding along Eastbourne seafront yesterday evening with a mate. As he parked his car, he said everything would be great except for the flies. I wondered what he meant but soon found out. I like Easy's descriptive term 'festooned'. It reminded me of being in Scotland with all the midges. Horrible.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I believe that they are sand flies that are normally around and about in May/ June but are later this year. I too had the misfortune of walking through swarms of the buggers on Hove / Brighton seafront.

The Sandflies ive met( not in UK) bite and leave big swellings on yer body .
these local things just land on you and just want to annoy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here