Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Lee Perry

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Scratch the Upsetter is no more. What a genius; the man who shaped reggae. So much music in my collection bears his touch. If you saw him live, you were never quite sure what you going to get but that was part of his charm,

The world is much emptier tonight

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Last time I saw him was Amsterdam sunsplash, sporting a purple beard and chasing a female friend around her merchandise stall :lol: A big loss for the reggae world.
A genius really

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Saw him just a couple of years ago.

Mad Genius!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Damn that's bad news. Strictly stoner bonkers. Felt GOOD to see him at Concorde 2. Felt even better to NOT see him at Concorde 1 when he was billed to appear alongside The Mad Professor. LSP bless him never showed, Mad Prof did double his normal set - and daft bugger promoter charged us half-price on the door, bless 'em :lol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Lee Perry, Nanci Griffith, Charlie Watts, Brian Travers (UB40) Don Everley, Tom T Hall, Sean Lock, Una Stubbs and Dee Tee Thomas (Kool and the Gang). All gone in August. September can't come too soon.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Lucky to have seen him, complete fruit loop, but also a genius. I had a conversation about him last week wondering how he had lasted so long.

Maybe I he is on the wire with Bob Marley, he appeared a bit miffed that he didn’t get the credit he deserved for his part in Marley’s success.

RIP

Moaty

Aug 19, 2021
Lochend,Edinburgh
One of the best Producers ever to have walked the planet.So many artists owe him big time.Not only Reggae stars,lumineries such as the Clash,Jagger, and Tom Tom Club headed to the Black Ark trying to catch some of that genius.RIP.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lucky to have seen him, complete fruit loop, but also a genius. I had a conversation about him last week wondering how he had lasted so long.

I saw him three times: first two times, he was out of this world - phenomenal gigs.

The last time, he pottered around the stage looking totally out of it. He seemed like some old man who'd smoked too much collie and scrambled his brains ... which is not far from the truth.

But when he was on fire, he was on fire. What a legacy to leave

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I saw him live a few times. Always eccentric but brilliant. Luckily these were all a good few years ago though.

Of course all his early Black Ark stuff is classic: From that period, Curly Locks and all it's dub versions is probably my favourite track. But funnily enough, the album he did with Adrian Sherwood....Time Boom..... is one of my favourite reggae albums of all time. It just works so well as an album. Brilliant from start to finish!

Also remember recording this on video as a kid, and then watching it back over and over again. Seems as good a place as any to remember him by for me.

This is the full Tube film btw:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Weirdly, I'm listening to some Bob Marley, produced by Lee Perry whilst looking at NSC, and then saw this thread. Another shock as yet another Reggae legend leaves us. Not many artists left now from the late '60s, those who got a lot of us hooked on the heartbeat of bass and rhythmic drumming when it really hit British shores back then. I'm as in to this genre of music as I was when I first discovered it during the first generation skinhead days. I was lucky enough to see him at the Essential Music Festival at Stanmer Park years' ago.
Lee Perry will be blasting out of my hi-fi this evening for a while.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I saw him live a few times. Always eccentric but brilliant. Luckily these were all a good few years ago though.

Of course all his early Black Ark stuff is classic: From that period, Curly Locks and all it's dub versions is probably my favourite track. But funnily enough, the album he did with Adrian Sherwood....Time Boom..... is one of my favourite reggae albums of all time. It just works so well as an album. Brilliant from start to finish!

Also remember recording this on video as a kid, and then watching it back over and over again. Seems as good a place as any to remember him by for me.

This is the full Tube film btw:

Brilliant clip. Thanks for posting that :thumbsup:

At times I felt the madness was a nice convenient image, much as gimlet eyed Ed Sheeran has to protest about about what a nice bloke he is all the effing time.

And then you see the toaster or the wrap of tape round the bicep, totally unexplained, and understand that was Lee and don't try and make sense of it. And then you hear the last few sentences on that video and realise he understood the whole world and was repulsed by a good lot of it.

Tremendous.

Edit - I'm referring to the first Jools interview here, not the one labelled The Tube.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills