Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Random facts

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think this has been done before but I couldn't find the thread so have decided to start a new one.

I've just found out that A.C Milan is spelt Milan and not Milano in honour of its English origins(it was started by two English ex-pats).

I never knew that. Or even wondered about the spelling.

Anyone else got any random facts that are mildly interesting?

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Milan folk spell 'English' as 'Enlgish' in honour of a chat board key error one day giving correction to their history.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Had three points been awarded for a win in 1978/79, Crystal Palace would not have beaten us to the Division Two title.

In fact, they wouldn't even have been promoted.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think this has been done before but I couldn't find the thread so have decided to start a new one.

I've just found out that A.C Milan is spelt Milan and not Milano in honour of its English origins(it was started by two English ex-pats).

I never knew that. Or even wondered about the spelling.

Anyone else got any random facts that are mildly interesting?

You can find traces of English origins in lots of old clubs in Europe. Athletic Bilbao is one obvious example. Atletico Madrid also used to be known as "Athletic" until Franco banned foreign words from club names. If we go back to Milan, Inter is called "Football Club Internazionale" despite the word for football being "Calcio".

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You can find traces of English origins in lots of old clubs in Europe. Athletic Bilbao is one obvious example. Atletico Madrid also used to be known as "Athletic" until Franco banned foreign words from club names. If we go back to Milan, Inter is called "Football Club Internazionale" despite the word for football being "Calcio".

According to wiki Inter were formed as a split from A.C over disagreements over signing foreign players.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Genoa’s full name is Genoa Cricket and Football Club and also was set up by ex-pats .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The 30,000th Premier League goal has just been scored by Chris Wood.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The word Brexit was coined from the term Grexit used for Greeks possible exit from the Eurozone a decade ago

Bloody Greeks influencing our portmanteau, bloody French influencing our language.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Club Atlético Newell's Old Boys is an Argentine sports club based in Rosario, Santa Fe. The club was founded on 3 November 1903, and is named after Isaac Newell of Kent, one of the pioneers of Argentine football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here