Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Daily Telegraph, not my paper of choice, reports that the Government are looking at safe standing and may introduce trials at some Premier League grounds this season. Might the Amex be included or will it be just the top six Clubs who have installed some sit/stand areas?

If we are included, presumably it will be necessary for fans to change their seating areas to suit their preference. Unless there are equal numbers of people for each preference, there will be some disappointments.

Edit
Sorry, just seen other post on the same topic, I must have missed it skimming through.

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You really think there's anyone in the back half of the north stand who's preference would be to move to a seated area?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Safe standing returned to the Premier League on Sunday at Chelsea for both the home and away fans. Presuming Chelsea didn't have time in the 91 hours between our game and Liverpool I'm guessing we also had safe standing. But I thought safe standing involved a seat that perched you as high as the person stood in front of you. That is how it works. If you want to sit then you can do but still be at a height that enables you to see the game. But Chelsea Wednesday evening if I sat I missed the game.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Safe standing returned to the Premier League on Sunday at Chelsea for both the home and away fans. Presuming Chelsea didn't have time in the 91 hours between our game and Liverpool I'm guessing we also had safe standing. But I thought safe standing involved a seat that perched you as high as the person stood in front of you. That is how it works. If you want to sit then you can do but still be at a height that enables you to see the game. But Chelsea Wednesday evening if I sat I missed the game.

are they at that height though? they look to me as if the people sitting are much lower that those standing

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Were you in the lower ? Upper away tier at Chelsea is pretty much like that anyway, very steeply banked. All they have done I think is add rails

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
My experience of safe standing in Germany (Bayern) was that there are folding seats, but these are locked upright when the stand is used for safe standing. You had a little square marked out to stand in with your ‘seat number’ marked. All worked fine.

I believe they keep the seats there as some games eg uefa don’t allow safe standing or didn’t at the time, so for those games they unlock the seats and it reverts to a seated section.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
If you sit down in a safe standing area, you will see nothing but the backs of the people stood in front of you. What were you expecting, a seat like a kitchen bar stool with a gas lift lever ….?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not sure where you've seen that! The seats are normal height, only difference is that when being used for safe standing they are in a locked position so they can't be used.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not sure where you've seen that! The seats are normal height, only difference is that when being used for safe standing they are in a locked position so they can't be used.

So you can't sit down pre game or at half time and have to stand all the time. Not great if you have dodgy knees.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't buy a ticket in the safe standing area is the only answer I'm afraid.

Turfing out loyal long term fans, to make changes to appease a subsection of the fan base sounds a lot like what Palace did when the "ultras" decided they wanted to sit behind the goal. We were all lining up to criticise Palace for that.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Were you in the lower ? Upper away tier at Chelsea is pretty much like that anyway, very steeply banked. All they have done I think is add rails
Yes, Lower Tier.

If you sit down in a safe standing area, you will see nothing but the backs of the people stood in front of you. What were you expecting, a seat like a kitchen bar stool with a gas lift lever ….?

No, but I thought the seat part was higher to sit on.

Don't buy a ticket in the safe standing area is the only answer I'm afraid.

So where at the away end was the seating area? I stand during the game but no way on earth could I stand for the full 105 minutes. Plus Seagull Travel tend to drop us off 1.5 hours before the match so the seat is the only time I get to sit down. I'm not the only one I'm sure who would want a seat at half time.

Be interesting to see if Spurs offer safe standing plus seating area.
Quote from Spurs regarding their game at the Bridge.
Safe standing
Along with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and a number of stadia, Stamford Bridge has received approval for licensed safe standing in seated areas from 1 January 2022. The visitors’ section is included in this trial and features independent barriers in front of each seat, allowing for free-flowing lateral movement in and out of seating rows.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Turfing out loyal long term fans, to make changes to appease a subsection of the fan base sounds a lot like what Palace did when the "ultras" decided they wanted to sit behind the goal. We were all lining up to criticise Palace for that.

Good I say, if it gives the rowdies a focal area in which to generate an atmosphere. Let’s face it, if you want peace and quiet you’ve got the other 90% of the ground to choose from.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Good I say, if it gives the rowdies a focal area in which to generate an atmosphere. Let’s face it, if you want peace and quiet you’ve got the other 90% of the ground to choose from.

I'm up with all the others singing and chanting, but still need a seat at some point.
Many on here know Teskey & Barbara, coach stewards. Fans for more years than many others and at most away games. Are you saying these two old (sorry guys) people can stay at home now?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm up with all the others singing and chanting, but still need a seat at some point.
Many on here know Teskey & Barbara, coach stewards. Fans for more years than many others and at most away games. Are you saying these two old (sorry guys) people can stay at home now?

To answer for Portlock: No he didn't say that, he didn't even imply it.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Anyone know what that seated section was in the upper tier at Chelsea? Was it some sort of ‘friends & family of players’ area? They sat down for almost the whole game and some didn’t even celebrate the goal.

Get a safe standing area in E1I next to the away end, I’ll move there if I can keep using the LFT’s to get in. Surprised that section isn’t already sold out for Palace actually, you’d think the ‘rowdy’ lot would want to be right next to them. Too expensive for them perhaps.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What made me laugh was the commentator at the Chelsea game saying with the safe standing area in operation it made the atmosphere better. What an idiot as if everyone in those areas have been sitting for years.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Yes, Lower Tier.

No, but I thought the seat part was higher to sit on.

So where at the away end was the seating area? I stand during the game but no way on earth could I stand for the full 105 minutes. Plus Seagull Travel tend to drop us off 1.5 hours before the match so the seat is the only time I get to sit down. I'm not the only one I'm sure who would want a seat at half time.

Be interesting to see if Spurs offer safe standing plus seating area.
Quote from Spurs regarding their game at the Bridge.
Safe standing
Along with Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and a number of stadia, Stamford Bridge has received approval for licensed safe standing in seated areas from 1 January 2022. The visitors’ section is included in this trial and features independent barriers in front of each seat, allowing for free-flowing lateral movement in and out of seating rows.

I was in the lower tier at Chelsea and was able to sit down at half time as normal. The seat wasn't 'locked' during the game as when we scored loads of people jumped up and stood on their seats!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here