Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Government plans to lift football standing ban

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Plans to lift the ban on standing in the English Premier League and Championship are set to be announced by the government, the BBC has learned.

It is thought a handful of grounds will be able to use designated safe standing areas before the end of the season.

It would mean for the first time in over 25 years, fans of some top flight football clubs would be legally allowed to stand and watch their team play.

An official announcement is expected as soon as next month.

Moving in the right direction for sure

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It is understood that Premier League and Championship clubs will be invited to register an interest to be part of the trial in the coming months.

But clubs that have already installed rail seating aren't guaranteed to be selected.

Those that are successful will be granted updated licences that would only allow standing in specially designated areas - which would not require a major legislative change.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard to keep up.

I don't know if the government are being tub-thumping, crowd pleasing, flag waving men of the people to cover up a disgusting shameful sociopathic cock up they've just made, are currently making, or one they know is just around the corner.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All the while there are numbered tickets with allocated positions, I’m not sure this will lead to the hallowed land those who favour rail seating hope it will.

In the days of terracing, if a 6’ 6” giant ended up standing in front of you, you could just move. Not quite the case with railed seating / standing. Glad I’m six foot three but not so great for the person behind me if they are five ten.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Plans to lift the ban on standing in the English Premier League and Championship are set to be announced by the government, the BBC has learned.

It is thought a handful of grounds will be able to use designated safe standing areas before the end of the season.

It would mean for the first time in over 25 years, fans of some top flight football clubs would be legally allowed to stand and watch their team play.

Corrected for you .

wrong direction . All seating is surely safer and makes for a more pleasant atmosphere for families and
Children. I think standing is a terrible idea .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Isn't this happening by default anyway? There have been two home games this season and I've been standing for both of them. If people want to stand, it's hard to stop them

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Corrected for you .

wrong direction . All seating is surely safer and makes for a more pleasant atmosphere for families and
Allowing those who want to stand, in a safer manner than what's going on currently, is surely better all round?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You are not allowed to stand . I’ve not seen anyone standing where I sit and if they did , they would be reported to a steward and no doubt given a warning and chucked out if they continued.

There is seating for a reason , it’s far safer . Period .

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's hard to keep up.

I don't know if the government are being tub-thumping, crowd pleasing, flag waving men of the people to cover up a disgusting shameful sociopathic cock up they've just made, are currently making, or one they know is just around the corner.

The Tories are the new Labour Party, but without sharing the wealth.

Working class Toryism is here to stay. Enjoy the crumbs of perks while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You are not allowed to stand . I’ve not seen anyone standing where I sit and if they did , they would be reported to a steward and no doubt given a warning and chucked out if they continued.

I think you can have safe standing.

I stood at Lewes recently and survived.

And the Germans do it.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Shall we wrap everyone up with cotton wool, also?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I’m guessing you don’t sit in the North Stand, I’m also guessing you sit in one of the upper tiers or 1901 where no one stands when the match is being played.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All the while there are numbered tickets with allocated positions, I’m not sure this will lead to the hallowed land those who favour rail seating hope it will.

In the days of terracing, if a 6’ 6” giant ended up standing in front of you, you could just move. Not quite the case with railed seating / standing. Glad I’m six foot three but not so great for the person behind me if they are five ten.

That can happen in seats though.

In front of me there is a group of four, two blokes and two kids under 10 and one of the blokes is about 6ft 8. They insist on sitting in their actual numbered seats meaning the giant has always been in front of my son and the kids in front of an adult :angry:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Corrected for you .

It seems that you have cleverly managed to achieve an inclusive and caring statement whilst showing intolerance for others at the same time. Well done.

There is room to allow for some safe standing areas just as there is room to accommodate families.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's hard to keep up.

Are they just pandering to various pressure groups and organisations in order to alleviate the stink of their crap Brexit? There was all the talk of what we could do differently once out of EU despite having the options to do things differently while IN the EU.

Next up will be the return of Fox Hunting I reckon.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That can happen in seats though.

In front of me there is a group of four, two blokes and two kids under 10 and one of the blokes is about 6ft 8. They insist on sitting in their actual numbered seats meaning the giant has always been in front of my son and the kids in front of an adult :angry:

It’s no good ranting on here……have a word with him :)

Seriously though have you thought about moving your son to sit behind one of their kids?
Or does this mean you end up sitting behind the giant and miss the game? :)

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think you can have safe standing.

I stood at Lewes recently and survived.

And the Germans do it.

Wow, It's hard to believe I know, but Last February, I weny to a Shoreham game, stood up the whole match and had a few pints, my lad had a drink with a lid!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s no good ranting on here……have a word with him :)

Seriously though have you thought about moving your son to sit behind one of their kids?
Or does this mean you end up sitting behind the giant and miss the game? :)

:lolol:

I'd be disappointed if that wasn't an NSC response. I don't think they like us very much as it's certainly done deliberately. We have done musical seats in the past to get round it but someone always ends up peering round the giant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here