Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No phone, non sth.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This is a genuine question after speaking to a gentleman in the pub earlier.
He has spoken to me on many occasions about being in the chicken run when he was a kid. I've not asked how old he is but I'd estimate over 75. Pre pandemic he used to go to the ticket office & buy a ticket on an ad-hoc basis. I showed him tonight that I'd downloaded my ad-hoc ticket to my phone & explained that was the only way he can get in. He doesn't have a phone at all, let alone a smart one. I know there's a provision for sth without a smart phone, is there a way that non sth can get tickets without a phone?
I don't know if he has family apart from his wife, I'm not going to buy him a phone & he wouldn't want one. But how would he get a ticket?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There are 300 tickets left for tomorrow’s game. Catch a train to Falmer and queue for a ticket at the Amex wondow.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There are 300 tickets left for tomorrow’s game. Catch a train to Falmer and queue for a ticket at the Amex wondow.

4F8C479D-3780-4AE4-AE6D-AF392661BB57.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club can sort people out with a physical ticket if they don't have a smartphone. Get him to call the ticket office.

Good if they do - it's just a great pity they don't publicise this much better then, for people who don't have fancy mobiles, home printers, or even the internet. Point was raised on 606 last weekend, and taken seriously (unlike some self-superior hipsters on here whose oh-so-superior smug answer is, 'Why don't you just get a smart-phone, grandad'?) and they were going take it up with the league, FA, etc, et, etc.

Even if in this wonderful world of the 2020s it has become impossible for the poor harrassed clubs to take payments on the gate, they should at least be able to issue paper tickets (even if the money men do insist on £3.75 for P&P).

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This must be discrimination against people who don't have smartphone / internet stuff and just can't use a computer - how can you make them buy online?

I mean, what if I lived in a caravan with no broadband ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good if they do - it's just a great pity they don't publicise this much better then for people who don't have fancy mobiles, home printers, or even the internet. Point was raised on 606 last weekend, and taken seriously (unlike some self-superior hinpsters on here whose oh-so-superior smug answer is, 'Why don't you just get a smart-phone, grandad') and they were going t ake it up with the leaue, FA, etc, et, etc.

Even if in this wonderful world of the 2020s it has become impossible for the poor harrassed clubs to take payments on the gate, they should at least be able to issue paper tickets (even if the money men do insist on £3.75 for P&P).

I was on the phone 20 minutes waiting to get through to an employee today (about parking). Then I found an email that had the info I needed. If you have no internet or smartphone life is tricky if you want to go to the football.

Still.

It used to be possible to drive to a country pub, drink 5 pints, have unprotected sex in the back of the car with someone you'd just met, then drive home, no questions asked.

Times change, whether we find it suits us or not.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This must be discrimination against people who don't have smartphone / internet stuff and just can't use a computer - how can you make them buy online?

You'd probably not have the money to go to the football would you? It isn't included on the NHS, albeit what, in fact, what do we pay our taxes for, in this day and age? ???

(Not sure who's whooooshing who here :wink:)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was on the phone 20 minutes waiting to get through to an employee today (about parking). Then I found an email that had the info I needed. If you have no internet or smartphone life is tricky if you want to go to the football.

Still.

It used to be possible to drive to a country pub, drink 5 pints, have unprotected sex in the back of the car with someone you'd just met, then drive home, no questions asked.

Times change, whether we find it suits us or not.

You old romantic

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it PotG? ???

Crikey!
Yes, but they won't want anybody turning up just to buy a ticket without the club knowing their name and address, card details, phone number (land line as well as mobile if they 're old eough to stiill have one), inside leg measurements, blood group, Covid certificates, smartphones....... it's the modern world, innit? Tolerant, I think they claim ..................

Face it, up yourself millennials - black or white, lesbian or gay or whatever, that's all fine - but if you don't want to do everything on your fvcking smartphone - book your tickets for football matches, gigs, trains, cinema - even takeaways FFS - etc? You're the new n**gers of the 21st. century!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but they won't want anybody turning up just to buy a ticket without the club knowing their name and address, card details, phone number (land line as well as mobile if they 're old eough to stiill hsve one), inside leg measurements, blood group, Covid certificates, smartphones....... it's the modern world, innit? Tolerant, I think they claim ..................

Face it, up yourself millennials - black or white, lesbian or gay or whatever, that's all fine - but if you don't want to do everything on your fvcking smartphone - book your tickets for football matches, gigs, trains, cinema - even takeaways FFS - etc? You're the new n**gers of the 21st. century!

Embrace the new or be a luddite.

Look, I hate it instinctively. I'd love to rock up and PotG. However I'd also love to not have drunken interlopers with their chainsmoking, members of ISIS with their bombs, or at a mundane level, some snide sitting in my seat, when I arrive. Or a Covidiot.

It is what it is and there are ways and means. If you are too infirm to work your smartphone just print the sodders out. That's what (ahem) I do, with the assistance of young Mrs T. There is no excuse for not asking for help. :whistle:

That aside, I hope you're well and all that. The authentic voice of the 70s (I mean your decade of life rather, than the one with Ford Cortinas, Cinzano Bianco and the last knockings of the full bush) :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Still.

Yes, but that's because we're not 22 any more, in our first car (or even borrowng Dad's) - not because we have to have a fvcking smartphone to book her first.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It's nothing to do with being a luddite or not wanting to embrace the new. I'm sure he could probably buy a smart phone but it would take him the entire season to work out how to turn it on. I don't know him well enough to ask how good he is with tech but I assume that as he doesn't have a mobile he's not going to be that clued up with it! If we add in the Covid stuff, he can't actually get in without a phone can he?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can match-by-math tickets bought from the club not be printed at home? I know that tickets shared by an STH to an Albion+ member can be, so maybe that’s a solution.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

:shrug:
That's harsh, you know full well that he can't do that! As I said in my OP it is a genuine question about how he can get to any future games that he may want to attend on an ad-hoc basis.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Then you'd go and support Crystal Palace.

I'd have thought.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here