Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Salt and Jordan to leave Sussex... and now Ben Brown

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To no great surprise, Salt is leaving for a bigger pay packet, er, to further his career. He's joining Luke Wells at Lancs. I'm a bit more surprised by CJ though - he's gone back to Surrey (where else?). He's been offered the T20 captaincy, must be a bit of a boost

The pick for the last two Sussex CC games will be interesting

Will Salt and Jordan play?
Will the kids have gone back to school?
Will Brown be too browned off to play?
Has Atkins recovered from his injury?
Will Robbo be in the England camp?

My guess for the team is Haines, Orr, Ward, Rawlins, Brown, Carter, Garton, Fynn-Prentice, Carson, Hunt and Atkins. But who knows?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Was hoping this was about Katie Price. Oh well.

:shrug:

(can't stand cricket).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hmmmm i wonder if his big mate Joffra will follow CJ, he's been a great servant to Sussex over the years so i can't begrudge him the move, still think it's a mistake as Surrey have a fantastic record of turning excellent players into Sunday League players, quite suprised about Salt, nowhere near the finished article yet but a explosive batsmen on his day, they will leave a big hole in the team the youngsters will have to fill, but Sussex CC seem to be the place to be for blooding young talent so perhaps they have a couple more lined up ready for next season .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Watch Celebrity Masterchef, she is on it tonight

KP.JPG

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bah.

The best hats I rock thread had cheered me up no end but this has brought me crashing back down. :(

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Devastated by the news. Both offered deals but I fear this is from poor management over senior players this season and the effect of the Hundred. Playing at a test ground and making more money from playing less cricket (more short ball stuff). Who’s left for the CC side over 24? It’s just Brown, who was forcefully stripped of his captaincy this year.

Jimmy Grimble

Hard to see how this isn’t partly linked to The Hundred in some way.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a picture on Twitter this morning of Dexter, Suttle, Lenham and Parks or Thomson watching Oakman and Langridge bat against the Windies in 63. All seven of those players spent their entire career at Sussex (OK, Parks didn't but he moved when he was 42 to spend a couple of seasons at Somerset).

What a contrast now: next season we'll have Salt, Jordan, Wells, Evans, Briggs, Smith and Burgess all playing for other counties.

I really don't like this jumping between counties. I bet if you looked at Sussex v Surrey, say and compared 1961 to 1963, there'd be something like 18 of the same players. That wouldn't be the case now

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can’t blame them really, they’ll earn more and have a chance of winning something. We probably couldn’t afford their wages anyway.

I think we’re going to be propping up the county championship for quite a while now, it’s no ones fault we just don’t have the finances to compete.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A little bit of my support for Yorkshire died when we went to allowing non Yorkies to play for the county.

It’s a shame that cricket has become the mercenary sport like football with players moving around depending on pay cheques.

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
Not a surprise really! You have got to wonder what will happen with the rest of the so called stars (Mills, Garton, Brown etc). Archer is barely a Sussex player anyway.

County cricket in general is now at crisis point - the Test ground counties are getting stronger and hoovering up the talent and the likes of Sussex, Leics, Northants are feeder clubs relying on the ECB for handouts. The CC is played in early spring and autumn, the 50 over thing is a 2nd XI competition and even the 20/20 has been marginalised. My view is the next 18 months will determine the future of cricket in England and could well see the demise of a number of counties.

Very sad really - the days of Mushy and co seem a world away

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sad news, but Sussex are falling behind the test counties quite significantly now. We'll just have to get used to watching the stars of the future rather than current stars. We have been fortunate to have had CJ for so long, I absolutely do not begrudge either player a move.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It is a sad day, both have really entertained me over the past few years and it is an easy guess that we cannot afford them.

I believe the 100 is the death of non test ground counties like ours. Like the Prem in football it will make agents and individuals around the game very rich and bring big profits into the Test venue counties.

We will be left developing youth players and then losing them into the profit making systems with no financial gain.

In the short term perhaps Salt and Jordan can help us win the T20's final, which are (I believe) the most profitable prize in English and Welsh cricket and invest in 2-3 solid pros who can help the kids develop.

Anyhow good luck to Salt and Jordan I hope the moves work for them and they get to continue to play for England and Wales.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Very disappointing. You have to worry about whats going on at Sussex CCC. Lots of talented youngsters for sure but senior players seem few and far between. Salt and Jordan will be massive losses for our T20 ambitions which is the only thing that seems to make us any money.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like others I can't really begrudge Jordan a big pay day, so whilst I'm gutted at the news he goes with my muted blessings.

It's like the Premier League and the Big Six isn't it? There are the Test ground counties and then the other First Class counties, and whilst we're all nominally equal there is no doubt that it's the bigger counties calling the shots. The Hundred could well be the first act of an eventual permanent schism with the First Class game (in all formats) being concentrated in the big counties, and Sussex etc become a sort of mid-ground between First Class and minor counties.

Bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here