Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Eastbourne Eagles

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eastbourne-hg-aerospace-eagles-statement-2/

Withdraw from 2021 Speedway season. I've had many enjoyable evenings there in the past, hope something can be resurrected for them for future seasons.

We are very disappointed to confirm that we will be withdrawing from the remainder of the 2021 British Speedway season.

We have tried all avenues open to us to resolve our previously documented and relatively recent cash-flow issues.

Despite some very generous offers by individuals and organisations, we have not been able to reach a satisfactory solution in a realistic timescale.

As a result, we have asked to withdraw from the Championship and NDL.

We would place on record our thanks to the BSPL Management Committee for their co-operation.

We acknowledge and respect the issues that this will cause other clubs.

We would like to thank all of our riders, staff, sponsors and supporters for their support.

In respect of our Supporters and Sponsors:

We will be contacting all Supporters who have purchased tickets for future events and memorabilia linked to those events to arrange refunds or fulfilment of items purchased during today. The message will be sent to the Ticket Purchaser.

We will also be contacting all season and ten-match ticket holders to arrange pro-rata refunds of pre-purchased tickets before the weekend.

If you will bear with us in this significant administration task and wait until you hear from us in the next 48 hours, it would be appreciated.

Those who have already contributed financially to the 2022 Air Fence Fund have already been contacted and refunds are being processed where requested and those who have contributed to a “Just Giving” Appeal (which was closed for further transactions a few weeks ago) and which currently stands at just over £400, will be contacted via that Just Giving Portal and will be repaid in full in due course.

The Teambuilder Lottery will run for the final time on September 1 and following pay-out of that we will ask all recurring members to cancel direct debits and standing orders.

Those who have sponsored items such as Race Suits and Heat Sponsorships will also be contacted within 48 hours regarding their investment in the Club and fulfilment of that commitment in terms of memorabilia; and pro-rata refunds for the remainder of the season where applicable.

Eastbourne Eagles Ltd will continue to trade until all financial commitments are paid off in full over the next 4-6 weeks.

The Management Team will make a further, full statement in the next few days.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really sad if this is the end of the road for the Eagles. One of the very top sides in the UK for many years but seem to have struggled to make things work financially.

Speedway is a minority sport that I don't follow but I think there's a small but passionate fanbase locally. A shame for all concerned if this is as bad as it looks.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Withdraw from 2021 Speedway season. I've had many enjoyable evenings there in the past, hope something can be resurrected for them for future seasons.

Discussions ongoing but I think they are just going round in circles.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Really sad if this is the end of the road for the Eagles. One of the very top sides in the UK for many years but seem to have struggled to make things work financially.

Speedway is a minority sport that I don't follow but I think there's a small but passionate fanbase locally. A shame for all concerned if this is as bad as it looks.

Surely a speedway track doesn't have an "end of the road?" Gets tin hat and flak jacket!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I wonder if this will impact on the stock car/bangers, as run by Spedeworth I think. I'm assuming they share a lease on Arlington.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It's super important to play the Teambuilder Lottery on 1 September because...................................................someone on this message board, North Stand Chat, is going to win it.

I received a message telekinetically, or is it teleconnectically, from the lottery Gods.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This is awful news and really hope that they get something sorted for next season. My worry is that it feels similar to Reading who were only meant to go for a year and have never come back. Must be at least a decade now.

I used to do 70 odd miles to watch the Eagles every week but then life got in the way. Had been making plans to take my eldest son to a race meeting in the hope we would make it a regular thing

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very sad. I actually quite like speedway, and generally all motorsport leaves me cold. My stepfather was a big speedway fan and took me to Arlington a few times in the 1970s. Really hope this isn't the end of the line for a great Sussex institution.

Come on Eagles!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Shame when any club struggles, but personally I’ve always found speedway a strange sport. It seems like 99.9% of races are decided by who gets to the first corner first. Then they just go round in a procession for a bit.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I do wonder if the Eagles would have fared better if Bob Dugard’s plan to bring them to the Hove Dog Track in the 1970s had been approved?

As much as I love Eastbourne, it’s a bugger to get to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here