Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Happy Birthday Linux (for yesterday).

boik

30 years old and taken over the world. Not bad for some kids hobby project.

Seem to remember that I first started using it with version 0.97. Had an Atari Falcon at the time so had to cross-compile it on a PC at work. It seemed like magic when it first booted up!

Any other long-term Linux users on here?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
First delved into it in around 1999, Red Hat Linux. Did a bit of reading and made it my OS of choice a couple of years later (although since 2014 I've been predominantly a Mac user). Biggest step was was changing the boot flag to make linux the default boot OS on a dual boot system.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Had a shell account for IRC in the 90s but my first Linux install was Ubuntu 4.10. A very brown desktop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

30 years old and taken over the world. Not bad for some kids hobby project.

Seem to remember that I first started using it with version 0.97. Had an Atari Falcon at the time so had to cross-compile it on a PC at work. It seemed like magic when it first booted up!

Any other long-term Linux users on here?

Yes started with Linux Mandrake in about 2000, dual booting with Windows. Switched to Linux full time about 14 years ago.

What I'm interested in is the Atari Falcon. I have seen some demos on YouTube, it's looks as though it would have been good as The Amiga.

D

Deleted member 22389

Had a shell account for IRC in the 90s but my first Linux install was Ubuntu 4.10. A very brown desktop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good old Ubuntu. I remember that distro

boik

Yes started with Linux Mandrake in about 2000, dual booting with Windows. Switched to Linux full time about 14 years ago.

What I'm interested in is the Atari Falcon. I have seen some demos on YouTube, it's looks as though it would have been good as The Amiga.

Probably better than the Amiga. The Atari ST was the Amiga equivalent, although the Amiga was better than the ST in a lot of respects. The Falcon was (sort of) 32 bit with a 68030 32 bit cpu, but was limited on the data and memory bus widths. Supported 14mb of memory. The big advantage is that it had and IDE 2.5 inch drive built in. So much cheaper than the SCSI of the ST and Amiga. It was a great machine which did everything I threw at it. Also had an Atari Jaguar console too which was amazing, but decidedly niche!

boik

Good old Ubuntu. I remember that distro

Distro? Pah!! I had to download all of the source code from scratch from university FTP servers. A kernel compile took all night and then frequently would never boot as I had forgotten something needed to boot a Motorola cpu from an IDE drive. Learnt a lot though. Got a job as an IBM AIX sysadmin off the back of it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
New user here. Think I went over to Linux about 4 years ago as my old Windows Vista laptop was slow and sluggish and Vista had lost support.

Discovering Linux Mint was the best move I ever made, computer wise. Still use that old 32 bit Vista laptop now. Recently upgraded to another second hand laptop with better specs. It had Windows 10 on it, so I was toying with dual booting. Ten minutes on Windows soon saw that idea binned :lol: Played with Pop OS but didn't enjoy it as much as Mint, so use a newer 64 bit version of Mint on that laptop now too. It just works really nicely for the things I want to do. Mainly CD ripping and browsing, nothing too intense, and best of all, it doesn't constantly nag me.

I have recently tried a bit of 'distro hoping' on another old 32 bit machine I was given that runs Windows 7. Tried MK Linux and Peppermint so far for a bit of fun. I'll see what comes of that eventually.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone else unsure of who this Linux bloke is?

It's a shame more people don't know about him. Could save themselves a fortune, and help the planet, by not keep throwing away devices that are still perfectly capable. All because they haven't been introduced to Linux.

D

Deleted member 22389

Distro? Pah!! I had to download all of the source code from scratch from university FTP servers. A kernel compile took all night and then frequently would never boot as I had forgotten something needed to boot a Motorola cpu from an IDE drive. Learnt a lot though. Got a job as an IBM AIX sysadmin off the back of it.

Quite a few years ahead of me there. Mandrake 8 was my first experience with Linux. It's unbelievable how far Linux has come.

D

Deleted member 22389

New user here. Think I went over to Linux about 4 years ago as my old Windows Vista laptop was slow and sluggish and Vista had lost support.

Discovering Linux Mint was the best move I ever made, computer wise. Still use that old 32 bit Vista laptop now. Recently upgraded to another second hand laptop with better specs. It had Windows 10 on it, so I was toying with dual booting. Ten minutes on Windows soon saw that idea binned :lol: Played with Pop OS but didn't enjoy it as much as Mint, so use a newer 64 bit version of Mint on that laptop now too. It just works really nicely for the things I want to do. Mainly CD ripping and browsing, nothing too intense, and best of all, it doesn't constantly nag me.

I have recently tried a bit of 'distro hoping' on another old 32 bit machine I was given that runs Windows 7. Tried MK Linux and Peppermint so far for a bit of fun. I'll see what comes of that eventually.

I'm using Xubuntu at present. It's been on my laptop since October, so may be time to try something else. Might give Debian another go. That's what I love about Linux, the freedom to try out different distros.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm using Xubuntu at present. It's been on my laptop since October, so may be time to try something else. Might give Debian another go. That's what I love about Linux, the freedom to try out different distros.

I'm very undemanding in my needs of a distro.

Can it let me right click a folder and then change the colour of that folder with one click to help my ageing eyes?

With Linux Mint the answer is yes, yes it can. With all the others I've tried so far, the answer is no, not without going into terminal and playing around. I'm not very computer savvy, so Mint tends to win for me everytime :lol:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Linux isn’t as powerful as some make out. I’ve lost count of the number of times “Sudo, give me a BJ” just hasn’t worked on the Mrs…

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've 'dabbled with distros' for a good number of years now. Turned elastic band powered pc's into full blown super computers with a simple debian based OS. My current weapon of choice is PCLinuxOS for ease of use, but other machines have Solus, Antix and Peppermint. I'm toying with Arch, BSD and some Red Hat stuff, but I can't give it my undivided attention yet.
There will come a time, probably end of life for windoze 10, that I go full on Linux.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Linux isn’t as powerful as some make out. I’ve lost count of the number of times “Sudo, give me a BJ” just hasn’t worked on the Mrs…

There's your problem, you're too Slack. Need to be Deepin or she won't stand for your Antix. Failing that, Pop it in the Backbox:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here