Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Foldable electric wheelchair/scooter

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As my Mum ages and her already poor mobility worsens, my thoughts turn to an electric foldable wheelchair/scooter for her. My knowledge of such items is limited to ensuring I’m not run over on the pavement.

Hence, two questions for the hive mind please:

1) under what usage case would a scooter be more suitable than a wheelchair, and vice versa?

2) any brands/models that are recommended/not recommended?

Thanks…

abc

Jan 6, 2007
My Mum has been totally physically disabled for a number of years. Her electric wheelchair has been an absolute god send in her day to day life giving her independent mobility all day. They turn on a six pence, are easy to operate (my Mum is 91), and though not designed for outdoor trips, are fine for going out in the garden, down the pavement to the post box etc. Scooters are a different thing really as they are for proper trips out to the shops, park etc. Mum has had to give hers up now but when she was able to go out she loved the independence it gave her.

Just for interest, we bought a fairly old second hand wheelchair van. Brilliant for the electric wheelchair (she drives herself straight in!) though too small for the scooter

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As my Mum ages and her already poor mobility worsens, my thoughts turn to an electric foldable wheelchair/scooter for her. My knowledge of such items is limited to ensuring I’m not run over on the pavement.

1) under what usage case would a scooter be more suitable than a wheelchair, and vice versa?

Thanks…

My Grandad got a new lease of life watching football with his mobility scooters. He was Waterlooville FC life president, and went on to the same at Havant&Waterlooville FC. Saw his final games at 98 years old before lockdown, before sadly passing last autumn.

The foldaway mobility scooter was great because someone could take him to a game (he still went home and away!) and stick the scooter in their boot. He was then able to get to a suitable viewing area, or he still had some mobility to get to a seat. He had 2 in the end, a big non folding one where he could go a good few miles into his local town at a decent speed and it could carry shopping and stuff, then the foldaway one for trips out.

I don't really know the difference with a wheelchair - I thought that if the person has decent enough mobility and just need a bit of help with distance rather than walking, a scooter is a good option because they're a bit higher and you kind of step onto them rather than get into a sitting position in a chair. I think it's more of a challenge getting out of a wheelchair than off a scooter. Purely my thoughts on it though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Thanks…

I have an electric scooter for sale in perfect nick.
Currently in my brothers garage in Heathfield.
Dad is in a care home and can't use it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have an electric scooter for sale in perfect nick.
Currently in my brothers garage in Heathfield.
Dad is in a care home and can't use it.

You highlight something that happens often. When people get to the mobility stage that they need a scooter or wheelchair far too often they or the family buy a new one. They are are often used for a short time and then gather dust in garages.

You can pick up a bargain.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You highlight something that happens often. When people get to the mobility stage that they need a scooter or wheelchair far too often they or the family buy a new one. They are are often used for a short time and then gather dust in garages.

You can pick up a bargain.

Absolutely right.
We offered ours back to the shop for far less as its still in new condition but they did not want to know, my mum and dad got a new one without telling me, I would have got them a nearly new as they are far cheaper.
We are almost giving it away and it cost £1200 new.
In fact if we don't sell it we will give it away to someone who really needs one but can't afford one but I have no idea at the moment how to find a suitable candidate.
I would like it to go to someone who has become ill/disabled and it would give them some freedom to go out with kids or walk the dog etc.
Preferably a mum or dad whereas the child is a carer.
That type of thing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Absolutely right.
We offered ours back to the shop for far less as its still in new condition but they did not want to know, my mum and dad got a new one without telling me, I would have got them a nearly new as they are far cheaper.
In fact if we don't sell it we will give it away to someone who really needs one but can't afford one but I have no idea at the moment how to find a suitable candidate.
I would like it to go to someone who has become ill/disabled and it would give them some freedom to go out with kids or walk the dog etc.
That type of thing.

Problem is the children of elderly parents don’t want to appear cheapskate so buy a shinny new one. Often they get used only a few times.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
My daughter aged 36 uses a mobility scooter (zippy) virtually every day due to her disability. It might be worth your while to have a word with Clearwell Mobility Limited who have shops and showrooms in the local area about the advantages and disadvantages of each. For instance only those of a small to medium size are allowed on the National Rail network. I do know that my daughter's scooter is often having varying issues and that whilst the Clearwell supply and maintenance agreement (including recovery in the event of breakdown) with payment by monthly instalments sounds expensive it is not something she would want to be without. They always supply a replacement scooter for one that is out of action.

Much though would depend on how often your mother would be using the scooter. My daughter has found her scooter to be invaluable giving her much appreciated independence for the past few years. She would not be without one, the only downside being some lack of reliability.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If anybody knows or hears of someone that would genuinely need an electric scooter but can't afford one and lives in East Sussex, please let me know.
See my post above for the type of person I would like to give it to.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I bought a folding scooter about a year ago. It's okay but struggles getting up hills, so I researched something bit more gutsy. There's heaps of them on the market (check YouTube ), but balancing the cost and amount of use it gets, I've decided to keep it for nipping to the shops and take a taxi if I need to go further. To each their own.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Thanks…

I was faced with the same dilemna - I chose a small electric bicycle as the wheelchair/scooter was too cumbersome to get in and out of my flat

alba thumbnail_7487.JPG

Stopping sitting down, feet on the ground, beats shuffling along any day!

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Absolutely right.

That type of thing.

That is a really nice thing to do.
Have you tried contacting local charities for the aged/ disabled?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here