Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Honest People

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They still exist.

Dropped my mobile out of my pocket on Clapham Common today. Noticed within minutes and re-walked my steps.

Someone had very helpfully placed the mobile on a park bench near where I dropped it.

My debit and credit cards had gone as well as £15 in cash, but was clearly found by an honest individual who understood the inconvenience of losing a mobile.

Theiving *******.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you have one of those wallet phone cases with cards and cash in? I’ve always avoided those, if you lose one, you lose it all. Good that you got you’re phone back though, that’s the hardest thing to replace.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Do you have one of those wallet phone cases with cards and cash in? I’ve always avoided those, if you lose one, you lose it all. Good that you got you’re phone back though, that’s the hardest thing to replace.
Rarely got them in it but yes.

I've found a number of things over the years and always handed them in, found the owner.

Once found a wallet with £400 pounds in it in Clapham years ago.

Found the local police station closed so called the local number. Policeman drove out to take it off me.

Rang back a few weeks later to check it had been found but the Police had no record of it being handed in.....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I've found a number of things over the years and always handed them in, found the owner.

Found the local police station closed so called the local number. Policeman drove out to take it off me.

Rang back a few weeks later to check it had been found but the Police had no record of it being handed in.....

Yeah, I’ve given a few bits in over the years. Don’t bother getting involved now, if I ever see a lost wallet I just leave it alone. Probably not very community minded of me but it’s more hassle than it’s worth.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Are you sure they didn't also turn their nose up at your make and model of mobile?
Ha, ha. No but mobiles don't tend to get nicked so much these days and a hassle to unlock.

It's not the greatest, but £300.

Of course the cards are worth more if you are quick.

Unconnected, last month I started getting "one time passcode" texts from the bank for two attempted purchases of £500 trainers :)

Someone had my full card details and code on the back. Had to go through all my statements, the bank hadn't spotted a thing.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Local police station closed sounds familiar.
Ours is used as a satellite station for the police in Hillingdon.
Not sure if you know this part of London, but Hayes is our normal local copshop.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They still exist.

Dropped my mobile out of my pocket on Clapham Common today. Noticed within minutes and re-walked my steps.

Someone had very helpfully placed the mobile on a park bench near where I dropped it.

My debit and credit cards had gone as well as £15 in cash, but was clearly found by an honest individual who understood the inconvenience of losing a mobile.

Theiving *******.

Not honest then

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I found a purse in Brighton with an address in it and dropped it off to grateful owner in Preston Drove, and no I didn’t remove £20 for my troubles.

(Turns out it belonged to a big Andy Murray fan, with a pathological hatred of Graham ‘Lucked out’ Potter).

Found a big bunch of keys at the Hollingdean Skate Park, dropped them off at the Police suite at Crowhurst Road, kind of on our way home.

The nicest one was coming across a handbag on the floor of Waitrose Hove. Handed it in (in tact) to customer services, where a very old lady was in a fraught state having lost it.

Works both ways. I keep dropping bank cards, last time was during the Euros getting an emergency half-time top up of goodies for the family at a supermarket. A bloke behind let me know.

Loads of honest folk still!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I dropped my wallet last year in the 1 minute it takes to walk to the shop. Spent the day cancelling and reordering everything. That night a student dropped it round. He'd picked it up running for the bus!
I gave him the 20 quid I had in it

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Found a purse next to a car in the car park, assumed it would probably belong to owner of the car, cash cards etc inside. Waited blooming ages in the pouring rain finally a woman turned up and started looking inside the car in a panic. Purse returned and one relieved lady and one drenched community hero went their own ways:ffsparr:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I found a purse in Brighton with an address in it and dropped it off to grateful owner in Preston Drove, and no I didn’t remove £20 for my troubles.

(Turns out it belonged to a big Andy Murray fan, with a pathological hatred of Graham ‘Lucked out’ Potter).

Found a big bunch of keys at the Hollingdean Skate Park, dropped them off at the Police suite at Crowhurst Road, kind of on our way home.

The nicest one was coming across a handbag on the floor of Waitrose Hove. Handed it in (in tact) to customer services, where a very old lady was in a fraught state having lost it.

Works both ways. I keep dropping bank cards, last time was during the Euros getting an emergency half-time top up of goodies for the family at a supermarket. A bloke behind let me know.

Loads of honest folk still!

Found a wallet in a customers garden last month …customer said it had been laying there for a couple of days :moo:

Dropped off at local police station

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Someone once handed in my wallet. I'd lost it on beach a month before it was found by someone rockpooling who handed it to the police. Whine I it had all my ID with correct address on the police didn't contact me until a month later and they only did that because it was stinking the place out and they weren't allowed to destroy it for another fortnight.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Found a mobile with cards and cash in the back streets of Sliema Malta in 2011 ,took it to a nearby by Police Station . The police managed to trace the owners through the phone book and said they'd come to my Hotel to inform or i could wait too see the phone handed over too the owner . i waited and they were a young British couple ,the officer pointed out it was me who handed the phone and cards in . They didn't even say thanks ,utter:tosser: I'd still do the right thing though .

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
They still exist.

Theiving *******.

Ernest and Tristan on the common today?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
That's odd as yesterday I found a phone on the grass by St Richards (?) church near Hangleton. First thought: it was nicked, emptied and flung. Ok I'm a cynic. However, it was all intact with bank card inside (agree with above, silly). Made me laugh as it was a brick! Sparkly pink case. No contact details but recent call showing with name. Did a quick FB search and that name in Btn came up quickly (there really is no privacy nowadays). FB messaged them and carried on walking. Had a call a little while later and was asked to drop it off not too far from my friend's place (my destination). They had to wait a bit, as I wanted a sit down, cup of tea and a chat with my mate first but they had it back about an hour or so later. Nice lady with mobility issues (and a pack of hungry chiwawa's inside, going on the snapping and barking but then i did have my friend's dog with me and she can be a bitch). I tried to suggest she writes an alternative contact number on a piece of paper, takes a photo and uses it as her lock screen but fair enough she wasn't interested I don't think. Anyways, wasn't too much bother. Cup of tea comes first though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Left my camera in a pub in Haworth once. Got home, phoned the pub - no sign of it.

Put in a holiday insurance claim, and looked forward to buying a newer, better camera with the monies.

The the rozzers got in touch - some 'helpful' bugger had handed it in, my name and address were on the case, and could I pay the postage and they'd send it back! So, far from getting a nice new camera, I had to fork out for my old one....

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sometime in 1968 I found a ten bob (50p) note blowing down Penny Lane (Yes, the Penny Lane) and no-one in sight who might have dropped it. At that time, after paying for the Hall of Residence, my grant left me with £30 a term to live on, and ten bob would pay for the Student Union Frida night dance (headline act The Searchers, support band, Jethro Tull) with enough left over for a couple of pints - so I kept it.

To this day, I'm riddled with guilt about not handing it in to the police (who I've much doubt would have found the owner), so if anybody on NSC - or anybody you know - lost ten bob in the vicinity of Penny Lane in 1968, please contact me.

Please be aware before claiming, I will need verification .................. and I have kept a record of the serial number! :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here