Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we sign Nobody ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I said at the end of last season that I would be happy to go into this season with the same squad, a year older and a year more experienced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to sign Cucurella and Núñez, but if we don't where are we ? White has gone, Shane has had his 'Lennon years' (one for the oldies) and has come back, both with superb strengths and very obvious weaknesses, (which apparently GP knows and Arteta doesn't).

Solly is back, Tariq nearly (hopefully). Biss is still here, the youngsters have another year of experience (and the even youngersters are looking good). Disappointed that Andone didn't make the grade when back to fitness, but maybe that is just a positive reflection on Connolly and Zeqiri. Maupay has just turned 25 and Welbeck is 30 FFS.

If this is the squad for 2020/21, I'm happy with that, even though a few on here think that is guaranteed relegation :facepalm:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah I'm kind of with you on that.

I don't think it's the squad for the much discussed top ten, but it should be enough to secure our highest Prem finish

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
If we don’t strengthen personally I will be disappointed. If March breaks his leg on the first day after the window closes we have no natural width on that side and the whole shape of the team suffers.

I think the forward debate has been done to death but we don’t make the top ten relying on our current options.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
I said at the end of last season that I would be happy to go into this season with the same squad, a year older and a year more experienced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to sign Cucurella and Núñez, but if we don't where are we ? White has gone, Shane has had his 'Lennon years' (one for the oldies) and has come back, both with superb strengths and very obvious weaknesses, (which apparently GP knows and Arteta doesn't).

Solly is back, Tariq nearly (hopefully). Biss is still here, the youngsters have another year of experience (and the even youngersters are looking good). Disappointed that Andone didn't make the grade when back to fitness, but maybe that is just a positive reflection on Connolly and Zeqiri. Maupay has just turned 25 and Welbeck is 30 FFS.

If this is the squad for 2020/21, I'm happy with that, even though a few on here think that is guaranteed relegation :facepalm:

Are we facing the same quality of opponent though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If we don’t strengthen personally I will be disappointed. If March breaks his leg on the first day after the window closes we have no natural width on that side and the whole shape of the team suffers.

Didn't he sort of do that last season ? I don't think he'll do it again :wink:

(And even if he does, I doubt Tariq will come out in sympathy again)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

100% agree. We've bought in competition for Sanchez, plus Mwepu, Sarmiento and the Japanese lad at USG until next year (if he looks good enough). Cucurella would be good to add to the squad, but we've done quite well with Burn, Moder or Alzate at LWB in March's absence - and next season we'll have Cochrane back (he's doing OK in Jockoland). I'm really not bothered about getting Nunez in - he didn't want to come a year ago, and Benfica just want to profit at our expense - and even if he's an upgrade on what we've got, is he really that much of an upgrade? We've got plenty of attacking options to play in a front three, even if they're not specifically labelled as strikers.
The perpetual cries to spend £25-30-40M on a striker or we face automatic relegation are getting pretty tiresome. We're 4th. in the league at the moment; of course we won't stay there - but no way are we gong down this season!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd be very worried. teams that dont improved their squads are likely to struggle against other improved squads. i accept the premise the player are improved, but its high risk. it suggests the squad was fine, the limping over the line says otherwise. our lack of goalscoring and cover at fall back would make it another very tough year.

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina

Yes, this IS the squad for 2020/21 :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
i'd be very worried. teams that dont improved their squads are likely to struggle against other improved squads. i accept the premise the player are improved, but its high risk. it suggests the squad was fine, the limping over the line says otherwise. our lack of goalscoring and cover at fall back would make it another very tough year.

As tough as the first half of last season, or as tough as the second half? BIG difference!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

We hardly limped over the line with 41 points and 13 clear of 18th, did we? Sanchez being promoted made us much stronger after a suspect start and the real turning point seemed to come in the new year starting with that come back to draw 3-3 with Wolves and a total of 28 points in 22 games.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Hope I am wrong but think will struggle with no additions. Should be ok on right with Lampty and Veltman. Concerned we had Connolly as no 2 striker so hope Maupay and Welbeck stay fit or Swiss guy steps up. Left side is the concern and hope we dont see Burn at LB or LWB. Realise March has done his defensive role well but dont think he contributes enough going forward.
I maybe concerned about nothing and after last night there are Academy players ready to step up

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hope I am wrong but think will struggle with no additions. Should be ok on right with Lampty and Veltman. Concerned we had Connolly as no 2 striker so hope Maupay and Welbeck stay fit or Swiss guy steps up. Left side is the concern and hope we dont see Burn at LB or LWB. Realise March has done his defensive role well but dont think he contributes enough going forward.
I maybe concerned about nothing and after last night there are Academy players ready to step up

The back-up LWBs (Burn, plus occasioally I think Alzate and Moder) last season did OK. None of them a natural LB, to be sure, but neither is March. Signing Cucurella would be a great addition too the squad, but by and large we seem to prefer playing three at the back with wing backs anyway - and next season we can have Cochrane back, who is more of a LB or LCB than a LWB, so would bring in the options.
Based on last night (and bearing in mind we were playing mainly Cardiff fringe and youth players too) it looks as if we've got players who at the very least can plug a gap when needed. If, after Cucurella arrives, Uncle Tony wants to keep his wallet in his pocket and treat himself to a takeaway and a nice bottle of wine, that's fine by me.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d be disappointed on a couple of counts.

If both Welbeck and Maupay were out injured in EPL matches, to me that’s a huge boost to the opposition. We saw how Watford appeared emboldened in the second 45. Let’s not go through the same striking (missed chances) anguish yet again.

March is the only LWB I trust in that role.

But, retaining the brilliant Bissouma (touch wood) would be incredible news, I thought he was off.

Plus frequent EPL wins would soon override my two concerns.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here