Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why has Shane Duffy's return gone so well?

SeagullB

Jul 4, 2021
There have clearly been some changes in lifestyle, with Duffy himself saying that he has moved away from his negative influences. This will undoubtedly have helped him, especially since it appears one of his best mates is now Adam Lallana, a pro who has done it all and seems incredibly motivated. I also have no doubt he has worked on his fitness and ball playing over the summer, looking fitter and more assured than ever before.

However, the most interesting thing to me is his tactical integration. Almost everyone wrote Duffy off, claiming he is not a 'Potter centreback', and for the most part I'd have agreed. In a back four I could see this being true, with Poyyer requiring both centrebacks to be progressive. Most assumed the same applied in a 3, as we'd only ever seen white partner dunk and Webster. Yet thinking about it, why would we need 3 incredible ball players? Duffy suits this new system so we'll as he can win every 50/50, every header and every physical battle, but then when he gets the ball he can play it either side of him to 2 incredible ball players. I actually believe this 3 of Duffy, Webster and dunk is better than the one containing white, as white could easily be targeted as a 'weaker centreback'. However, with Duffy you get the assurance of winning every header, and whilst his distribution isn't world class, it doesn't have to be as he can let the other two do the playing. Oh, and he also provides immense aerial threat from corners!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was just (just!) a case of making a system that would work. Duffy was always a good head it/kick it/block it type defender - put him between a couple of ball-playing CBs (who are also pretty adept at heading, kicking and blocking) and telling him to play it simple and leave the fancy stuff to the others sounds like a pretty effective formula.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure its a surprise. didnt go away because he was having a mare, he had a opportunity and we wanted to play White and others more, so loan suited club and player. he had a mare at Celtic, thats their problem and he regularly got/took blame.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Potentially, even better to come as he is probably the one centre back likely to hold Lukaku at bay in the air.

So the White sale was now even better business as in the defender role, he was behind Dunk, Webster, Veltman and Duffy? Even Burn must be upset that Mings gets into the England Squad ahead of him.

Add in Lamptey, March, a potential signing and our potentials out on loan and we have the basis for an exceptionally good team.

Duffy could and should be an important member of that squad

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Duffy does seem to be an ‘emotional’ player, in that I think that off the field problems impact on him to quite a high degree.
I think it was the promotion season, or possibly the one before, where he had 3 or 4 games where he wasn’t up to his very high standard, and became a bit of a liability at the back. His concentration seemed to have deserted him, and he made some very uncharacteristic mistakes. At the time, I have it from impeccable sources, he was going through a bit of a messy break up with his then partner, and mother of his children.
His present form seems to be linked to him being over the very sad and premature death of his Father, and a return to the club that has been a mainly happy place for him.

Long May it continue.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Anyone would look good playing between Dunk and Webster in a three. Defensively he is pretty solid but still looks a bit unsettled when being last man playing keep ball across the back of the defensive line.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potentially, even better to come as he is probably the one centre back likely to hold Lukaku at bay in the air.
Let's not get silly.

There might just be one centre back in all of world football who can hold Lukaku at bay and it ain't our Shane.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lukaku isn't an 'in the air' player - he is a get in tight and spin away player. Probably Duffys weakness TBH.

Although I think he did panic with that ball he let bounce in the centre circle when we had a high line on Saturday. Think it was when he got booked?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/shane-duffy.152511/page-141

This Celtic thread is an interesting read. If you can wade through the delusion about the quality of their league there is a very small minority of posters who reference off field problems for Shane last year. Anyway, glad to have him back. Playing with and against elite players will be a nice change for him after last season.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Early days. Burnley was just his cup of tea and great goal against Watford.. dream for any CB to have Dunk and Webster either side.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Burnley was a roll your sleeves up battle. Watford decided to sit back and let us play out, particularly in the first half. Both played to Duffy's strength and the headed goal was superb.

However even teams visiting Withdean knew how to play a non ball playing centre back. Basically you press every other player, leaving the one player free, you then try and force them to play the ball using their weaker foot, until you force the error. This is horrible as a player as you know you are being targeted, which just adds to the pressure.

I still haven't properly sussed Potter. I expected Connolly to start tonight, but now it looks like he will be saved for the weekend. What I think happened against Burnley, was that Veltman's late withdrawal was an unexpected set back. Starting with Gross at left back seemed bizarre except he is the most trusted in possession. I think this also equates to him being the player that best understands the training drills for keeping possession.

For Duffy to continue to thrive and bring his strengths to the game, the rest of the team need to work their nuts off to make themselves available for a pass. I reckon they will have been focussing on this in training. Strangely the same goes for Sanchez, who has looked less assured than he did last season with his distribution. I think this is a very under rated skill and something we have made huge progress with under Potter.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Burnley was a roll your sleeves up battle. Watford decided to sit back and let us play out, particularly in the first half. Both played to Duffy's strength and the headed goal was superb.

However even teams visiting Withdean knew how to play a non ball playing centre back. Basically you press every other player, leaving the one player free, you then try and force them to play the ball using their weaker foot, until you force the error. This is horrible as a player as you know you are being targeted, which just adds to the pressure.

I still haven't properly sussed Potter. I expected Connolly to start tonight, but now it looks like he will be saved for the weekend. What I think happened against Burnley, was that Veltman's late withdrawal was an unexpected set back. Starting with Gross at left back seemed bizarre except he is the most trusted in possession. I think this also equates to him being the player that best understands the training drills for keeping possession.

For Duffy to continue to thrive and bring his strengths to the game, the rest of the team need to work their nuts off to make themselves available for a pass. I reckon they will have been focussing on this in training. Strangely the same goes for Sanchez, who has looked less assured than he did last season with his distribution. I think this is a very under rated skill and something we have made huge progress with under Potter.

Yeh, but even then, if Duffy has to pump up it up the line every now and again it's not a problem. Our forward line and wingers need to be alive to this and giving Shane, or any of our defenders this option with movement in behind

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But ultimately the reason why his return has gone so well is that he's a very good defender.

Celtic was an exception. As others have said, his head needs to be right. What is going on in the outside world can affect his game. Potter is publicly giving him confidence. He knows this is what Shane needs.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Coming to something if we are saving Connolly for a more important game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here