Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Mobile Phone Security Updates

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I've just discovered that my Samsung S8 received its final security update in May.

Does anybody know how this affects my phone, and whether getting anti-virus software like AVG or Norton will be an adequate replacement?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I've just discovered that my Samsung S8 received its final security update in May.

Does anybody know how this affects my phone, and whether getting anti-virus software like AVG or Norton will be an adequate replacement?

Thanks.

You don't need any of that! Just exercise the same common sense you would apply when on the internet on your laptop or PC.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Depends what you are using your phone for.

For a more cautious perspective see https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/0...alaxy-s8-or-s8-and-what-to-do-if-you-own-one/
It is pretty much impossible to guess what future vulnerabilities will be discovered, or how effective the security updates would be, but in general I would say they are a very good thing.

This has become a differentiator for Apple. Google are going to be using their own chipsets in their next generation of phones, which will allow them to also provide extended support and manage battery life better. I am not sure where Samsung are with this right now.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

For a more cautious perspective see https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/0...alaxy-s8-or-s8-and-what-to-do-if-you-own-one/
It is pretty much impossible to guess what future vulnerabilities will be discovered, or how effective the security updates would be, but in general I would say they are a very good thing.

This has become a differentiator for Apple. Google are going to be using their own chipsets in their next generation of phones, which will allow them to also provide extended support and manage battery life better. I am not sure where Samsung are with this right now.

Assuming it's a UK model, his current Samsung phone has a Samsung processor in it...

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

Thank you for that. I've just checked the chart to see what I will need to upgrade to [emoji106]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here