Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple TV and HDMI

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have a curious problem whereby if I have my 4K Apple TV box on, it kills the HD channels on my TV and Youview box; signal strength and quality drops to 0%.

I was under the impression that HDMI cables are all the same but, before I shell out on better ones, will I see the benefit ?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
5807458526_dc54025065_b.jpg

Sorry...

...not sorry.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Have a curious problem whereby if I have my 4K Apple TV box on, it kills the HD channels on my TV and Youview box; signal strength and quality drops to 0%.

I was under the impression that HDMI cables are all the same but, before I shell out on better ones, will I see the benefit ?

Doesn't the Apple TV box just go into one of the HDMI slots on the TV, and the Youview box goes into another?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I suggest your replace the TV, Youview box, house wiring, fuse box, house and all your possessions for Apple equivalents. Then just watch Apple TV it will be much simpler. If it doesn't work first time, take it into the shop and a genius will fix it for you.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I suggest your replace the TV, Youview box, house wiring, fuse box, house and all your possessions for Apple equivalents. Then just watch Apple TV it will be much simpler. If it doesn't work first time, take it into the shop and a genius will fix it for you.

That seems a very valid and sensible approach.

However, maybe a quicker and sensible alternative is to turn off / disable HDMI-CEC in your TV settings. Depending on the specific combination of TV brand and model, and what other hardware you have connected to your TV via HDMI, the CEC settings can indeed turn off other devices when you turn on a specific device.

Worth a try - if you are not sure, just Google for your TV brand and model with ;'disable CEC' or 'disable HDMI-CEC'.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That seems a very valid and sensible approach.

However, maybe a quicker and sensible alternative is to turn off / disable HDMI-CEC in your TV settings. Depending on the specific combination of TV brand and model, and what other hardware you have connected to your TV via HDMI, the CEC settings can indeed turn off other devices when you turn on a specific device.

Worth a try - if you are not sure, just Google for your TV brand and model with ;'disable CEC' or 'disable HDMI-CEC'.

It's not CEC. The TV dosn't turn off, the freeview signal is attenuated to 0/0. *something* is causing it to drop and I've narrowed it down to the Apple TV box

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here