Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Loft light advice

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I have found a light in the loft which I assume was installed by the previous owners. It is effectively a ceiling pendant attached to a 2m long cable with no earth, however this is plugged into a 5m long extension cable which we plug into the mains when accessing the loft.

Firstly, is that a safe set up and secondly could I add a 2nd pendant into the extension cable to increase the lighting in the loft space

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
IMG-20210819-WA0000.jpeg
Image of detailed above

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I have found a light in the loft which I assume was installed by the previous owners. It is effectively a ceiling pendant attached to a 2m long cable with no earth, however this is plugged into a 5m long extension cable which we plug into the mains when accessing the loft.

Firstly, is that a safe set up and secondly could I add a 2nd pendant into the extension cable to increase the lighting in the loft space

Only if the light is SELV it doesn’t need an earth otherwise check the switch and assuming the earth is there, you can run a 1mm earth from the switch to the light and fit a 2nd light in series

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sounds fine from the description but the picture... i'd change that. many lights dont have earth, didnt use to be required, though regs probably changed.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yes it was quite remarkable, I turned it off and everything disappeared like I was teleported into a never ending tunnel of doom where my nightmares were my only comfort. However once I turned it back on again I was transported back into the loft space surrounded by clothes that my children used to fit into and a fake Christmas tree that has as much Christmas joy as Ebeneezer Scrooge

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes it was quite remarkable, I turned it off and everything disappeared like I was teleported into a never ending tunnel of doom where my nightmares were my only comfort. However once I turned it back on again I was transported back into the loft space surrounded by clothes that my children used to fit into and a fake Christmas tree that has as much Christmas joy as Ebeneezer Scrooge

:lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don’t need an earth as there’s nothing to earth! Consider putting a new plug on it as it looks corroded

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
sounds fine from the description but the picture... i'd change that. many lights dont have earth, didnt use to be required, though regs probably changed.

What would you recommend changing? I was of the opinion that the extension lead being earthed would prevent any power surge and simply blow the fuse involved

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are only two connections on a light bulb anyway - no earth. Connecting it to an ordinary three pin plug shouldn't be a problem - many table lamps and free standing lamps are connected this way. Should be a five amp fuse in the plug, not a 13 Amp.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There are only two connections on a light bulb anyway - no earth. Connecting it to an ordinary three pin plug shouldn't be a problem - many table lamps and free standing lamps are connected this way. Should be a five amp fuse in the plug, not a 13 Amp.

It is currently a 13 Amp fuse so I will change that for starters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What would you recommend changing? I was of the opinion that the extension lead being earthed would prevent any power surge and simply blow the fuse involved
The plug - it looks as if it's been running hot (poorly connected possibility). Nice new plug, properly connected, check the cables aren't damaged - go! No worries. Couple of extra lamps shouldn't be a problem either,

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Plug connection is a potential deathtrap, and the wire looks a bit ancient.

Buy a new one.

5 minute job.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The plug - it looks as if it's been running hot (poorly connected possibility). Nice new plug, properly connected, check the cables aren't damaged - go! No worries. Couple of extra lamps shouldn't be a problem either,

I plan to duplicate the set up with a new plug and cable into a pendant rather than running two through the same plug as have a 4 gang extension lead in location

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Just checked my supplies and have several 3 Amp fuses, would these be suitable or is 5 Amp the optimum

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the ropey socket. earth is to prevent shock, as you dont touch lights they dont (didnt) get earthed. fuses prevent overload and fire risk, though the two work to the same effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here