[Politics] Back ti work, and social coercion

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Edit, 'back to work' obviously :facepalm:

Email from work today (one of the big 3 London unis):

"We will return to no social distancing and as such room capacities will increase:
Large groups (>50) can still have lectures online (reasons of large numbers / space and prioritisation of more interactive sessions). Small groups (defined as <50) should be taught on campus, and if this is not the case we will need to have a good educational reason as to why not."

My reply:

"I am not allowed into the Amex stadium to watch Brighton and Hove Albion unless I am double jabbed and have an NHS clearance valid from 2 days prior to a match. Unless all students and staff on campus are likewise, then I deem the campus unsafe (for me as a 63 year old with a history of lung infection) and will not be teaching on site for a good health reason. The text above is unacceptable pressurization. It is obvious to any fool that there is no educational reason why it is better to not teach face to face, and so….. I appreciate you are just the messenger. Others of an age or susceptibility please take note."

I really hate it when numpties try to take the piss. Ask me nicely and I may engage. Show me the social distancing protocols and all may be well. As it happens I know for a fact we are putting unvaccinated students into poorly ventilated rooms and hoping for the best, with some poor elderly sod (for it is we who carry the teaching can, while the young sit in their offices writing grants and papers) in the pulpit leading the class. Asking me to provide a 'good reason' for not falling into line? Far cough. Seriously. Off, and far.

(I guarantee nobody will reply to my reply; gutless plums, jobsworth half-bullies, that they are).

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

"We will return to no social distancing and as such room capacities will increase:
Large groups (>50) can still have lectures online (reasons of large numbers / space and prioritisation of more interactive sessions). Small groups (defined as <50) should be taught on campus, and if this is not the case we will need to have a good educational reason as to why not."

My reply:

"I am not allowed into the Amex stadium to watch Brighton and Hove Albion unless I am double jabbed and have an NHS clearance valid from 2 days prior to a match. Unless all students and staff on campus are likewise, then I deem the campus unsafe (for me as a 63 year old with a history of lung infection) and will not be teaching on site for a good health reason. The text above is unacceptable pressurization. It is obvious to any fool that there is no educational reason why it is better to not teach face to face, and so….. I appreciate you are just the messenger. Others of an age or susceptibility please take note."

I really hate it when numpties try to take the piss. Ask me nicely and I may engage. Show me the social distancing protocols and all may be well. As it happens I know for a fact we are putting unvaccinated students into poorly ventilated rooms and hoping for the best, with some poor elderly sod (for it is we who carry the teaching can, while the young sit in their offices writing grants and papers) in the pulpit leading the class. Asking me to provide a 'good reason' for not falling into line? Far cough. Seriously. Off, and far.

(I guarantee nobody will reply to my reply; gutless plums, jobsworth half-bullies, that they are).

Great reply. Hope you get appropriate action.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Are they promoting vaccines and insisting on lft's ?

Edited due to lack of written English due to morphine post op :mad:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have the same concerns about my son going back to University and my daughter back to High School.

I'm more concerned about her, as she's unvaccinated and my son's University seem to be pretty careful when it comes to Covid, a luxury most high schools haven't been allowed by the government.

Then of course, I will undoubtedly be asked to return to the office, which will be at Canary Wharf. Not sure when that will happen though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are they promoting vaccines and insisting on lft's ?

Edited due to lack of written English due to morphine post op :mad:

Hope the op went well.

(That morphine is exquisitely morish, is it not :wink:)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

My reply:

Not strictly correct ..vaccine plus LFT isn’t required. Always good to be accurate when arguing your case ..ye?

TOT ….have you managed to pick up parking tickets?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have the same concerns about my son going back to University and my daughter back to High School.

I'm more concerned about her, as she's unvaccinated and my son's University seem to be pretty careful when it comes to Covid, a luxury most high schools haven't been allowed by the government.

Then of course, I will undoubtedly be asked to return to the office, which will be at Canary Wharf. Not sure when that will happen though.

Perhaps, if we continue to ask the hard questions, the jobsworths and blowhards will back off.

At my uni we have to provide everything online anyway, to cover the vulnerable who are working from home online, and coercing students on to campus is just so we can say we provided on-campus teaching, and so, no, you can't have your fees back*.

So, do what's safe for your kids and, especially, for yourself. It isn't as if we older buggers can re-generate. FFS.

*courses like the ones I run have hands-on close up and personal interaction, with a student and me doing surgery on an animal. If I stand back to social distance, the animal or the tissue dies. So I am not offering this aspect of teaching, because it cannot be delivered. Get that, folks - the most poignant and impactful of our high end practical teaching cannot be delivered.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hope the op went well.

(That morphine is exquisitely morish, is it not :wink:)

Hopefully the op works, had my left shoulder done removing calcium and re-profiling the bone and shoulder release. Had the right done about three years ago, a few days before the Palace away game in which we won 2-1. Enjoyable but painful day out the morphine rather helped, not knowing the dangers a few beers added to the day :mad::mad::mad::drunk:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not strictly correct ..vaccine plus LFT isn’t required. Always good to be accurate when arguing your case ..ye?

TOT ….have you managed to pick up parking tickets?

I'm in the right ball park wrt the spirit of accuracy. Beauty is truth. For pedantry, see Trig, although he seems largely to have departed our sceptered internet tank.:down:

All sorted for parking, thanks to a saintly NSC correspondent :bowdown:

Hope all's well with you. Wunt be druv, and all that :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm in the right ball park wrt the spirit of accuracy. Beauty is truth. For pedantry, see Trig, although he seems largely to have departed our sceptered internet tank.:down:

….yes I wonder what’s happened to him.

Glad you’ve sorted out parking…..one day I will try and get to that place you mentioned pre match!
I was working in Seaford Saturday…only just managed to get back in time for the game

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

"Sceptered".

Nice one Harry.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
maybe we should close the universities campuses, go online only. much cheaper for students, lecturers can retire or focus on research. win win?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm starting my university course next week and we will, with exception of some small group work, be online until October 1 since they dont want the combination of people coming back from vacation + meeting in school at the same time. Though I personally dont care that much it sounds like a sound approach. Going all-in immediatly seems a bit risky.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
maybe we should close the universities campuses, go online only. much cheaper for students, lecturers can retire or focus on research. win win?

This is a separate issue but...

Practical classes aside I agree.

Masses of prime real estate in London is wasted so very old skool 'academics' and hoards of administrators can ponce about in nice suits in nice buildings, talking bollocks about bollocks (and I'm on many of those committees).

One London centre for practical training and assessment would suffice. Animal house (BSU), chemistry lab, jobzagoodun.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here