Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Extremely rare 1985/86 red Brighton shirt

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
oldfootballshirts.com, in association with The Albion Roar, is auctioning an extremely rare 1985/86 red Albion shirt. The shirt is made by adidas, the Brighton badge and adidas logos are embroidered, the sponsors logo is embossed flock. On the back, in official adidas print is the number 12. This is a matchworn shirt, this shirt was never made available for sale to fans.

The shirt was introduced for the FA Cup game away at Newcastle on 04/01/86 and was also used for the following three away games that I know of, Hull 25/01/86, Peterborough 15/02/86 and Crystal Palace 26/03/86. In those games the number 12 shirt was given to Steve Gatting (x2), Steve Jacobs and Steve Penney, you could call it Steve's shirt!

The size on the label is Large, the shirt measures approximately 53.5cm (21") pit to pit and 74.5cm (29") from collar to hem.

The shirt is 35 years old, and has been matchworn, so do not expect this to be 100% perfect. The shirt is, however, in excellent condition considering it's age, the colours are all bright and the embroidery is all great. On the sponsors logo there is a little discolouration, see the photos and also the bottom right part of the letter 'O' and the bottom left of the 'W' are coming away a little bit. Nothing at all to stop you adding this amazing piece of Albion history to your collection.

All the proceeds, minus any fees, will be split equally and donated to St Peter & St James Hospice in North Chailey in East Sussex and to Brighton's Community Radio Station, Radio Reverb.

Good luck all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165031110480

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beautiful shirt. A true classic.

A genuine 'they don't make them like that any more' moment.

Jul 7, 2003
Up to £720 already - great for the Hospice (a fantastic place - I did a volunteering day there with work a couple of years ago).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
oldfootballshirts.com, in association with The Albion Roar, is auctioning an extremely rare 1985/86 red Albion shirt. The shirt is made by adidas, the Brighton badge and adidas logos are embroidered, the sponsors logo is embossed flock. On the back, in official adidas print is the number 12. This is a matchworn shirt, this shirt was never made available for sale to fans.

The shirt was introduced for the FA Cup game away at Newcastle on 04/01/86 and was also used for the following three away games that I know of, Hull 25/01/86, Peterborough 15/02/86 and Crystal Palace 26/03/86. In those games the number 12 shirt was given to Steve Gatting (x2), Steve Jacobs and Steve Penney, you could call it Steve's shirt!

The size on the label is Large, the shirt measures approximately 53.5cm (21") pit to pit and 74.5cm (29") from collar to hem.

The shirt is 35 years old, and has been matchworn, so do not expect this to be 100% perfect. The shirt is, however, in excellent condition considering it's age, the colours are all bright and the embroidery is all great. On the sponsors logo there is a little discolouration, see the photos and also the bottom right part of the letter 'O' and the bottom left of the 'W' are coming away a little bit. Nothing at all to stop you adding this amazing piece of Albion history to your collection.

All the proceeds, minus any fees, will be split equally and donated to St Peter & St James Hospice in North Chailey in East Sussex and to Brighton's Community Radio Station, Radio Reverb.

Good luck all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165031110480

Al, I believe the bolded statement is factually incorrect. As I posted on the thread when one of these shirts was sold previously, the Albion programme for the Middlesbrough game on Jan 18 1986 reported that the red kit had brought Albion three of their last four wins, meaning it was worn at Portsmouth (Dec 26 1985) and Leeds (Dec 28 1985).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That is a thing of beauty

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 372

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Al, I believe the bolded statement is factually incorrect. As I posted on the thread when one of these shirts was sold previously, the Albion programme for the Middlesbrough game on Jan 18 1986 reported that the red kit had brought Albion three of their last four wins, meaning it was worn at Portsmouth (Dec 26 1985) and Leeds (Dec 28 1985).

Oh I wish I had enough spare money then, I went to the Leeds game, we won 3-2 with a goal at the end by I think Graham Pearce a cheeky lob.
There was only about 100-150 Albion fans there I seem to recall.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

You did indeed sir, and I could not for the life of me remember where that had been written last time when I put the listing together, I shall add the detail as an addendum.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I remember that F.A. Cup game against Newcastle, missed the first goal from Eric Young as I was still trying to get in the ground, he scored in the first minute, Newcastle then absolutely battered us for 85 minutes, they had something over 20 corners in the game, then Saunders popped up with the second and we were through 2-0, not seen a team robbed as badly as we robbed Newcastle that day, until Palace came to the Amex last season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks to the excellent final bid for the rare red 1985/86 Brighton shirt, we are pleased to announce we have made donations of

£496 to St Peter & St James Hospice in Chailey.
£496 to Radio Reverb

Thank you again to everyone who bid for the shirt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here