Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One pass too many?

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Don’t get me wrong, great start to the season, however, are we in danger of over doing it in the box when there is a clear shooting opportunity? Happened a fair bit last season and Saturday, when we went for the extra killer ball 15 yards out, despite the fact there was a clear sight on goal.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don’t get me wrong, great start to the season, however, are we in danger of over doing it in the box when there is a clear shooting opportunity? Happened a fair bit last season and Saturday, when we went for the extra killer ball 15 yards out, despite the fact there was a clear sight on goal.

Completely agree ... (though i'm not moaning).

We definitely looked for one pass too many. MacAllister looking for Gross in the first half the most obvious example, but there were others.

What we've done so far has been good enough to get past two teams who will struggle, (again not complaining, we didn't do much of that last year), but against better teams, more ruthlessness and better decision making will be required

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yes , at the final whistle it didn’t matter ,

But sometimes we just over play instead of either crossing it on or taking on a shot .

Was the same last season too . Trying to walk it in too often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Seems to work ok for Man City.
There were times last season where we may have overdone the passing but this season I wouldn’t make the same criticism yet.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Where have you been the last 3 seasons! ;)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No

The 'MacAllister looking for Gross' pass is a prime example.

I initially thought that "come on stick your laces through it", but watch it again.

Jocko's shot wasn't clear cut.
Gross knew the pass was coming and so was ahead of his man.
Straight after the pass Jocko moved ahead of his man.

Had he not over hit the pass:-

Gross' return would have been inch perfect.
Jocko was now 6 yards out in front of goal and now crucially ahead of his man.
Jocko was in complete control of the situation (no Connolly lucky rebound reflex hit, just wide)

He had a less than 50% chance of scoring beforehand.
He would have scored, after the pass (had the initial ball been hit a fraction too firmly).

As they did in an identical situation last season (didn't they? )

You want to know what they work on it training - well it's that.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dangerous nonsense.

We are collectively blessed to be watching the best quality football ever played by Brighton & Hove Albion.

“One pass too many” up front should be filed in the same rubbish bin as “fannying around at the back”...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Dangerous nonsense.

We are collectively blessed to be watching the best quality football ever played by Brighton & Hove Albion.

“One pass too many” up front should be filed in the same rubbish bin as “fannying around at the back”...

This!

My understanding of GP's method, is that it's all about continuous improvement.
Keep on doing the same things but look to improve.

2 seasons ago we were definitely "fannying around at the back" and it was frequently heart in mouth stuff.
That has now become well drilled tactical passing and most players instinctively know when the only option is to "get rid" (rarely).

The same is happening with our forward play.
The probing for an opening has been ongoing for two seasons and whilst at times it has seemed ponderous and slow, it is now beginning to be much slicker and quicker.

I saw a decent piece of analysis on our xg stats a few weeks ago, that identified whilst our xg was good, in reality it was made up of positions where there were plenty of defenders in the way.
In other words the build up was too slow. The real issue isn't that we take too many touches, it is more that when the player has the ball, the opportunity is already not good enough to take on.

We are already seeing situations where our attacks are happening much quicker, as the team become better at seeing/reading the opportunity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You seem to be just picking on this, and ignoring all the more direct attempts including all 4 of our goals this season.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I think that is just poor decision making, much like inconsistency, is a symptom of us having a team full of £20m players and not £50m+ superstars.

The bonus is, the average age of our squad is so young that they may grow into superstars in time. For now we should cut them some slack.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Maybe if we can stay at the right end of the table for a period of time the players will have a bit more confidence to take on the early shot rather than taking the extra touch or passing on responsibility.

Will also need a certain section of our support to get off of some players backs and not give them grief when they miss a chance. Thankfully Connolly's miss wasn't that important on Saturday in the end, but he would have got absoloute pelters if we hadn't have been winning comfortably (I'm sure he did in some areas).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe if we can stay at the right end of the table for a period of time the players will have a bit more confidence to take on the early shot rather than taking the extra touch or passing on responsibility.

Will also need a certain section of our support to get off of some players backs and not give them grief when they miss a chance. Thankfully Connolly's miss wasn't that important on Saturday in the end, but he would have got absoloute pelters if we hadn't have been winning comfortably (I'm sure he did in some areas).

I doubt they see it as 'passing on the responsibility', despite it looking like that, more a case of improving the percentage chance to score.

There's no glory in thundering the ball into the defender stood directly in front of you.

That's why Trossard's goal v City and his first v West Ham (citation needed) were so special.
Taking the touch, sitting players down, moving the odds in his favour.

Now obviously when it's not working, 2020 for example, then sure it's all a bit of an Arsene Wenger ballache.
But as Tubthumper has already said to get a little precious about it now, having scored 4 goals from direct 1 touch football, seems rather odd in the extreme.

As for Connolly, fans getting on his back for missing an unexpected sniffers chance 10 minutes into his first game of the season are more agenda than football based.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Yes, well, it's so easy to shout "shoot, for ****s sake" from the stands, isn't it?
Down on pitch level it ain't so easy to see the whole picture at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I'm not so sure. I think we have been a little more decisive. Maybe we have passed around a bit more because we have had more opportunities to do so in the first two games? - 64 and 56% possession respectively.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dangerous nonsense.

Dangerous? :lolol:

You do know there’s more than one way to win a game of football, right? Burnley have stayed in the league way longer than they should have by not fannying about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here