Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So what do we class as our highest ever postion?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies if fixtures, but we've been discussing it at work.

Previous to the weekend it was always December 1981, when we'd won 2-0 at The Dell and were 4th, obviously that's been usurped, but do we take the position, 2nd, on Saturday night, or 3rd after all the full set of fixtures had been completed?

Carlisle United were famously top of the old First Division in August 1974, when they beat Chelsea and Tottenham in the first two matches, and many of their fans class that as their highest ever position.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Previous to the weekend it was always December 1981, when we'd won 2-0 at The Dell and were 4th, obviously that's been usurped, but do we take the position, 2nd, on Saturday night, or 3rd after all the full set of fixtures had been completed?

4th after tonight.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Good question. Maybe 4th before we play any games behind Arsenal ,Aston Villa , Brentford and any other Bs.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All through the season there will be a situation where someone has a game in hand on someone else.

Points on the board is what matters. We were second. I have the proof on my desktop background.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Carlisle United were famously top of the old First Division in August 1974, when they beat Chelsea and Tottenham in the first two matches, and many of their fans class that as their highest ever position.

I think you've answered your own question there. 2nd it is.

However, if Leicester and West Ham draw tonight and we take the lead against Everton on Saturday we will be top.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
if we beat Everton then the media are going to be all over us

Hopefully we win despite Bissouma having a stinker, rather than because of it.

Look at Man Utd's DM options - Fred, Matic, McTominay. Bissouma would stroll into their team at the moment.

I've said too much.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Back in the day, tables were not even published until everyone had played six games. Seems sensible.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Next weekend Liverpool host Chelsea in the 17.30 Saturday game, a win for us against Everton could put us top for a few minutes at least, and if they end up in a draw, for a whole week. I am hoping the question of do we count second on an incomplete fixture list becomes irrelevant, and Tony Bloom can sing "we are top of the league" in his old mates face at Brentford.

Edit, it will actually be a fortnight we sit there, if we end up on top after next weekend.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We were never 4th. - on 8th. December 1981 we were 6th. Still pretty good, but not that good!

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-one/08-december-1981/

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Never mind after a full set of fixtures – there shouldn't be a league table until at least three games in. All this 'we are top of the league' nonsense from Brentford last weekend (after ONE MATCH) and now this from Albion fans!

I appreciate a lot of it is tongue in cheek, but part of it definitely isn't and people believe that top four is a realistic reflection of where Brighton are.

I don't use the word lightly, but it's all a bit... 'tinpot' IMO :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never mind after a full set of fixtures – there shouldn't be a league table until at least three games in. All this 'we are top of the league' nonsense from Brentford last weekend (after ONE MATCH) and now this from Albion fans!

I appreciate a lot of it is tongue in cheek, but part of it definitely isn't and people believe that top four is a realistic reflection of where Brighton are.

Bollocks! We're just enjoying it while it lasts! - and why shouldn't we?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Just a bit of a laugh isnt it.

Cant see any downside myself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here