Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma quarantine

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Anyone seen this? He can miss two games if we release him for the games in September as has to isolate for certain period when back in UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He hasn't joined up with the Mali squad the last few times any way has he?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm a huge fan of international football, but it's not reasonable to expect a player to definitely miss club football due to a quarantine requirement.

No idea if this is happening here of course.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm a huge fan of international football, but it's not reasonable to expect a player to definitely miss club football due to a quarantine requirement.

No idea if this is happening here of course.

Fifa have dropped the rule they had last season that allowed clubs to refuse international call ups for players if they had to quarantine on return to their clubs. So some players will inevitably have to quarantine/isolate after international fixtures under the current rules.

Bissouma hasn't played for Mali since 2018 though, he was in the preliminary squad for the summer internationals but wasn't selected for the final squad. I am not sure if he's had a falling out with their head coach or something but it seems remarkable that he is not playing international football regularly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We'll see what happens. His relation with their staff and federation is not the best. He says he is ready to go if they are ready to meet his demands (according to some Mali-Bissouma FB group its about safety because a certain fraction of Mali fans does not like that he is Ivorian).

Today he said:

"For several years I played on less than 50% of my capacity. I had a problem with my shoulder and didnt want to undergo a second surgery but with the help of my agent I found the courage to do it in 2019. Thats why I, in agreement with Magassouba [the Mali coach], didnt go to the Africa Cup of Nations in 2019."

"This surgery resulted in one of the most difficult circumstances in my life. I spent 13 hours in coma instead of the expected 2, and almost lost my life. During this difficult period I was not contacted by anyone from the Mali Football Federation or from anyone from the technical staff. It affected me a lot, I was traumatised. To this end, my agent has several times tried to get in touch with the football federation to discuss certain situations, to no avail."

"I was surprised to see my name regularly on the list. I think that has led to the actions of some supporters, some even insulted my parents on social networks. My family has lived through very difficult times".

At least thats how African media interprets these two videos from today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Cp_zC0AS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvmHlSzkz4

If someone knows a bit of French maybe we can find out more.

Edit: this article seems to be more accurate in describing what he said (if you use Google Translate):

https://malivox.net/malienw-ne-baw-...ance-enfin-toutes-ses-verites-sur-magassouba/

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Premier League clubs are refusing to release players for international games in red list countries.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2231483

Per this article in The Athletic, it would seem that any such players will still have to miss the first weekend of PL matches after the break anyway, as a punishment - Premier League will refuse release of players to red list countries in break

12345.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But Mali play away to Uganda in the upcoming set of fixtures and Uganda is in the red list.

Phew. Wishing everyone well of course, I don’t want Bissouma to travel, purely as I’m selfish club over country and he’s fckn amazing.

I hope the organisers don’t change it to a Mali home tie, to get through ties.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Phew. Wishing everyone well of course, I don’t want Bissouma to travel, purely as I’m selfish club over country and he’s fckn amazing.

I hope the organisers don’t change it to a Mali home tie, to get through ties.

As mentioned earlier in the thread there seems to be some issues around Bissouma and the international setup, he’s not played for Mali for a few years. He was in the provisional squad for their summer international but didn’t make the final squad. There is no guarantee he will be called up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here