Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Oh Dear!

el punal

For those of you who have criticised the club over their procedures on entering the Amex just think of those poor Saints fans down at St. Mary’s.

Firstly, many fans who applied for season tickets still have not received them. To allow them to go to the Man Utd game they had to queue up for paper tickets on Saturday to gain entry for yesterday’s match. These season tickets were being sent out by first class post to be delivered - when?

Secondly, there were huge queues to get into St.Mary’s for the game as the readers/scanners checking the tickets did not work. Big arguments then ensued as some stewards allowed fans in after a visual check of their tickets, other stewards refused and those fans then had to go to the ticket office to sort the problem out.

Thirdly, this gigantic cock-up meant that many supporters didn’t get into the ground until well into the first half.

Fourthly, any Covid checks were abandoned for the reasons above.

Finally, all those those who bought tickets for yesterday’s debacle will be refunded and Southampton will be investigating how this enormous shitfest occurred. Their fans are not happy. :drink:

SAC

May 21, 2014
For those of you who have criticised the club over their procedures on entering the Amex just think of those poor Saints fans down at St. Mary’s.

Firstly, many fans who applied for season tickets still have not received them. To allow them to go to the Man Utd game they had to queue up for paper tickets on Saturday to gain entry for yesterday’s match. These season tickets were being sent out by first class post to be delivered - when?

Secondly, there were huge queues to get into St.Mary’s for the game as the readers/scanners checking the tickets did not work. Big arguments then ensued as some stewards allowed fans in after a visual check of their tickets, other stewards refused and those fans then had to go to the ticket office to sort the problem out.

Thirdly, this gigantic cock-up meant that many supporters didn’t get into the ground until well into the first half.

Fourthly, any Covid checks were abandoned for the reasons above.

Finally, all those those who bought tickets for yesterday’s debacle will be refunded and Southampton will be investigating how this enormous shitfest occurred. Their fans are not happy. :drink:

All of them or just those who got in late or didn't get in at all? Fair play to the club for offering this so quickly.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m not sure it helps that Southampton cocked it up by more. Weren’t their problems more to do with ticket readers not working ? The fact remains that BHA took pride in their arrangements for the day and yet the Covid measures all melted away. A lot of people attended the match because of the degree of comfort given in the club’s assurances. We are not amongst them (we went to Burnley who did nothing to make the day safer). We have a healthy cynicism about our fellow football fans so were cautious at both games. The club could have staffed it all better and could have used the much heralded perimeter checkpoints. They didn’t. Not the end of the world but worthy of comment in the hope that things improve for subsequent matches.Operational failure is easy to rectify.

el punal

All of them or just those who got in late or didn't get in at all? Fair play to the club for offering this so quickly.

Not sure, but a huge PR disaster for the club as it was a return to all fans being able to attend for the first time in 18 months and it all went south. From what I understand the club are investigating how this happened with all concerned. As for the refunds it was the least the club could do, along with issuing an abject apology.

I am not understating when I say that the whole episode was an awful humiliation for Saints and it has caused massive resentment among their fans.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Err no, I am very supportive of the club and was about their stated plan for the day. Would you prefer it gets brushed under the carpet ? I guess the answer is yes.

I've read this twice and don't kniw what you are talking about, sorry.

I was making a very broad observation about how lucky we are to have such a well run club. And that incidents like the one described (messing up season tickets, turnstiles not working, uncoordinated stewards etc) rarely happen to us. But that when they do, some people jump all over them and amp them up as if we do nothing right.

We have an awesome club and I'm both proud of, and impressed by, BHAFC every day.

So I have literally no idea what you are talking about - esp since you posted after I did. Crossed wires here?

el punal

I’m not sure it helps that Southampton cocked it up by more. Weren’t their problems more to do with ticket readers not working ? The fact remains that BHA took pride in their arrangements for the day and yet the Covid measures all melted away. A lot of people attended the match because of the degree of comfort given in the club’s assurances. We are not amongst them (we went to Burnley who did nothing to make the day safer). We have a healthy cynicism about our fellow football fans so were cautious at both games. The club could have staffed it all better and could have used the much heralded perimeter checkpoints. They didn’t. Not the end of the world but worthy of comment in the hope that things improve for subsequent matches.Operational failure is easy to rectify.

Southampton’s problems were not just with admission on the day, as I described in my post. Sure, the Albion may have had hiccups with some of the checks along the way going into the stadium but really they were minor in comparison. At least all our fans had tickets well in advance, were able to gain admission as required and enjoy the match from kickoff.

I’m not bigging up the Albion here but really is this a cock up competition? You make it sound that Saturday at the Amex was full of problems, I didn’t and nor did any of my friends notice any, in fact I was surprised how smoothly everything went and I was full of trepidation pre-match.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Southampton’s problems were not just with admission on the day, as I described in my post. Sure, the Albion may have had hiccups with some of the checks along the way going into the stadium but really they were minor in comparison. At least all our fans had tickets well in advance, were able to gain admission as required and enjoy the match from kickoff.

I’m not bigging up the Albion here but really is this a cock up competition? You make it sound that Saturday at the Amex was full of problems, I didn’t and nor did any of my friends notice any, in fact I was surprised how smoothly everything went and I was full of trepidation pre-match.

Yes, it was all very smooth and there were no noticeable problems. But that’s the same as Burnley. My point is the Covid safety assurances given by the club turned out to be spin rather than substance. If they weren’t going to staff it sufficiently to follow through on these assurances then they were better off going the same way as Burnley and letting people know in advance it was every man for himself. No dramas.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've read this twice and don't kniw what you are talking about, sorry.

I was making a very broad observation about how lucky we are to have such a well run club. And that incidents like the one described (messing up season tickets, turnstiles not working, uncoordinated stewards etc) rarely happen to us. But that when they do, some people jump all over them and amp them up as if we do nothing right.

We have an awesome club and I'm both proud of, and impressed by, BHAFC every day.

So I have literally no idea what you are talking about - esp since you posted after I did. Crossed wires here?

Probably. My point was about the stated intention of the club to check for Covid compliance. I think ‘twerps’ irked me :) As someone who generally backs our club and shares your opinion on it I was nevertheless disappointed by the lack of follow through on the plan on Saturday although massively enjoyed the game itself. I’m sure some of the people most critical of the club were thrilled that the much hated Covid checks disappeared.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I have to agree with Neville on this. Whilst our ticketing was a success the same cannot be said for the covid measures. In our case the I'd check was done but others said not. My particular concern though was the lack of any attempt to enforce the mask rule inside. In WSU concourse at least 90% were unmasked. and not eating or drinking. I get enforcement is difficult but at least fans could have been reminded by stewards as they went through the turnstiles.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes, it was all very smooth and there were no noticeable problems. But that’s the same as Burnley. My point is the Covid safety assurances given by the club turned out to be spin rather than substance. If they weren’t going to staff it sufficiently to follow through on these assurances then they were better off going the same way as Burnley and letting people know in advance it was every man for himself. No dramas.

Covid safety assurances given by ANYONE ANYWHERE are spin rather than substance. Doesn't matter who you check or how you check, at this moment in time there will be people with covid in the ground. There are only two solutions on an individual basis, either don't go or have faith in the protection offered by being double vaccinated, both of which are perfectly sane decisions. But don't have faith that covid safety measures can keep a venue covid free, however draconian they may be.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Why people can't self discipline themselves is beyond me. If others don't want to wear a mask in queues or on the concourse that's their look out. I bought my mask, wore where and when I thought it was suitable to do so, probably over and above what's been recommended. I felt safe regardless, thought the club did a good job handling it all to be honest.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

i have to disagree, Im not sure how many were COVID Checked at The Amex, but everyone knew that the checks were there and so I expect the vast majority complied with the requirement to have the necessary passes or test results. This means that everyone was either double vaccinated or had negative test results

The process is designed to ensure that people are vaccinated/tested negative, not that the checks are necessarily done for 100% of attendees

If the club had said we arent going to bother, then some people who were not vaccinated, or negative would have shown up, regardless of if they were positive or not had the required tests, passes

So by having the messaging out there, and by checking a substantial number to start DID make it safer for everyone.

If the requirement from Government turns out to be that you have to randomly check a certain % (and I think that is the likley scenario) then we are very well placed to implement that quickly and efficiently

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Why people can't self discipline themselves is beyond me. If others don't want to wear a mask in queues or on the concourse that's their look out. I bought my mask, wore where and when I thought it was suitable to do so, probably over and above what's been recommended. I felt safe regardless, thought the club did a good job handling it all to be honest.

The problem with your point on masks is that masks protect others not the wearer. So not wearing one when asked (instructed) to do so affects the safety of others.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Covid safety assurances given by ANYONE ANYWHERE are spin rather than substance. Doesn't matter who you check or how you check, at this moment in time there will be people with covid in the ground. There are only two solutions on an individual basis, either don't go or have faith in the protection offered by being double vaccinated, both of which are perfectly sane decisions. But don't have faith that covid safety measures can keep a venue covid free, however draconian they may be.

They can reduce the numbers with covid. This will then reduce the chance of onwards transmission. That's what the club owe it's staff and it's customers.

I also wonder if there is an insurance / litigation requirement here (ie, in order to be insured for this event you have to show us, the insurance company that you are taking measures to reduce the chances of being successfully sued by someone who goes on to catch serious covid which is traceable to your event).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It has been done to death on other threads but nobody has ever asked for a Covid free environment. The aim is a Covid reduced environment and that can be achieved through ensuring those entering the ground are all double jabbed.You just have to think probability. We reduce risk with our actions and venues do their bit as well. We could still catch Covid but it’s less likely. That’s it really.

el punal

I have to agree with Neville on this. Whilst our ticketing was a success the same cannot be said for the covid measures. In our case the I'd check was done but others said not. My particular concern though was the lack of any attempt to enforce the mask rule inside. In WSU concourse at least 90% were unmasked. and not eating or drinking. I get enforcement is difficult but at least fans could have been reminded by stewards as they went through the turnstiles.

I was reminded, but as I got to the WSU concourse bar I took it off, obviously, as it was pie and pint time. The vast majority on the concourse were eating and drinking so they would be unmasked of course. It really is difficult to enforce as I believe, despite the club’s advice/instructions, it’s impossible to implement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here