Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton & Hove pavements make today’s Times

The phasing out of the use of pesticides has brought out the jungle to our streets.

Ragwort on the rampage. Thistles putting pensioners in hospital. Residents tripping up by stray sycamores & stung by nettles.

Is the answer just to pick up a trowel - or for the council to take some pride in our city?

Either way - we have made The Times today. A24CFE90-E3A5-4357-8DE9-C7247B5EF896.jpeg

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What the world definitely needs, is loads more pesticides. How about spraying them over Brighton from a plane?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's the same everywhere, I'm all for not using the pesticides, the problem is the employee who was spraying them is now on the dole, instead of strolling round with a trolley/bins and doing a bit of weeding . . . It will soon get to the point things start falling to bits and drains back up . . . .the verges are like jungles and parks like meadows.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Reclaim the streets (and pavements)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The council should do this/do that but it doesn’t. It has a different agenda. I’m afraid in the same way as taking our rubbish to the tip, if we have pride in where we live we should clear the weeds from outside where we live. Not possible for some people but how long does it take to pull up a few weeds at home and for your neighbours?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The city is filthy overgrown cess pit of rubbish and growth everywhere, the administration should throw the same enthusiasm and passion to basic citywide services as they do cycle lanes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The council should do this/do that but it doesn’t. It has a different agenda. I’m afraid in the same way as taking our rubbish to the tip, if we have pride in where we live we should clear the weeds from outside where we live. Not possible for some people but how long does it take to pull up a few weeds at home and for your neighbours?

:thumbsup:

We’ve Swedish friends. They say it’s just custom to take care of the pavement outside your home and if you have elderly neighbours, you do the same to their patch.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:thumbsup:

We’ve Swedish friends. They say it’s just custom to take care of the pavement outside your home and if you have elderly neighbours, you do the same to their patch.

It’s a custom in Newhaven to have an old fridge and some tyres off an old Ford Fiesta outside your house :)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I see many shops in Brighton/Hove whose products promote health, cleanliness, high quality, etc with attractive window displays, signage, etc, with unsightly weeds growing out the front attracting rubbish. Surely a few minutes of the junior’s time each week clearing the weeds would send the right message and make the shop frontage more attractive.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
My wife has said to me ‘Photos must be fake.. there's not a single wheelie bin in sight! Impossible’

Ha yes! It certainly wasn't my road either! Wheelie bins (we've all got two and some houses have three) and tree roots means it can be quite a challenge getting a pushchair up and down the street. Obviously it would be better if they didn't use weedkillers, but the roads and pavements need to be kept clear of sprouting vegetation.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Brighton & Hove pavements make today’s Times

The city is filthy overgrown cess pit of rubbish and growth everywhere, the administration should throw the same enthusiasm and passion to basic citywide services as they do cycle lanes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The town I grew up in and love has now become a third world shit hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Yep, my wife is always saying the same to me. I tend to baulk at the idea as I don't believe that people should be doing jobs for free that someone was once paid to do.

However I now have an acceptance that no-one is going to get paid to do this anymore, so yes people should step up and have a bit of pride in where they live...

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
What the world definitely needs, is loads more pesticides. How about spraying them over Brighton from a plane?
It's very honourable of the council to be wary of pesticides. BUT in our street everyone is using pesticides to clear the pavements outside their homes. Defeats the object really. Except the council very cleverly have got us to pay for the pesticides.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here