Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Catering

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Worst queues in the 10 years I’ve been going to the Amex.

Brilliant on the the pitch, pretty shocking off it today.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the WSU there was a sign up about low staff numbers and to be patient.

Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate the catering team for putting on the most Brighton-ish concourse offering they could:

Smokey Paprika, Bean & Pepper Cassoulet (V, GF)

Tremendous work all round. Anyone have it?!?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Had to spend c30 seconds queuing for a couple of soft drinks at the end of half time. Greeted by a smiling worker. All fine for me.
I've got nothing to moan about. Shall I go elsewhere?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Other than the queue to get into WSU all pretty normal/good IMO.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In the WSU there was a sign up about low staff numbers and to be patient.

Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate the catering team for putting on the most Brighton-ish concourse offering they could:

Smokey Paprika, Bean & Pepper Cassoulet (V, GF)

Tremendous work all round. Anyone have it?!?

I ordered that at the City game, thinking it might be a pie, and was a bit disappointed on receipt when it turned up in a tub. But I was pleasantly surprised with it, really good effort.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I can only speak for the North Stand which was pretty shocking today.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Catering staffing is usually iffy until the uni get back and they can staff it properly.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
first game back in 18 months, a win on the pitch, 2nd in the league, best ever start to a top flight season, must be hard to find fault, so lets pick on catering, there is always something there to gripe about

Football Stadium catering is not like running a Macdonalds, with a fairly even spread of customers over an extended period of time. Its basically bugger all and then 30 000 descend wanting pies and pints in 3 or 4 very short time frames. The staff are required for only around 25 times a season, and have had virtually no practice, so its a steep learning curve There is no way it can be done without long queuing

Add on top the almost certain number absent due to isolation at short notice, most will be new to the job with only the Getafe game for experience, then anyone expecting a hassle and queue free experience is simply not thinking

Catering will get more efficient every game, it always does every season , its impossible to practice before hand so the only way to get better is to actually do the job. so at least for the first few games while they get up to speed give them a chance!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
One supervisor on the concourse pointing and waving where to/where not to queue as in don't block this, don't block that.

He was having a ball until it was pointed out that having more than three tills open out of a possible 8 or so might be a better way to remedy this situation.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Had a pint outside and then went straight to my seat, so can't directly comment. The lad next to me ate three pies and a packet of crisps in the first half. When Maupay got injured I asked him if he needed to pop out to get a little snack for half time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Q's were fine in WSU at the start and not too bad at half time. Only disppointment was that the Chicken, gammon and leek pies had run out at half time. NEED MORE PIES !!!!!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How about we look at this catering lark from the other side. East Upper was awful. 4 tills out of 10 working with one person on each. I caught the slow guy who plodded around picking one item at a time at snails pace. Customer came back with a cider and complained it was meant to be lager. So it was put 'back on the bar' and swopped. As we watched it was taken and given to someone else with half an inch already drunk from it.
Anyway, back to the staff. I presume they are on minimum wage, lets say £10 and hour. But for how long do they work. Training must be given to use the tills, do they put the pies in place?
What is their working day and pay?

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
News to me that the family stand, northstand upper, has no food or drink and you have to go down to the northstand concourse via the stands. Queues were pretty bad down the exit end of the concourse. Still got food and drink in time for the 2nd half so works I guess.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aren't they usually pretty bad early season anyway - seasonal workers who are new to the working in such an environment. Factor in Bozza's note about low staff I'd say it's somewhat understandable. It's usually seen as the sort of job students do, and they're not around in large numbers yet, and a lot of jobs seem to be struggling to fill vacancies, particularly the lower paying/less glamourous roles (or maybe I'm extrapolating too much from the poultry industry stories earlier this week).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here