Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
First game on Sunday where I’m concerned about how Duffy will manage I can see him being targeted

Cheer up, it might never happen.
After all, who thought he should have been a starter when he came back from Celtic?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not picking on exactly but he’s the one that is least comfortable with the ball and they will know it so he’ll be the one closed rapidly it will affect how we set up undoubtedly

Probably he is, but if I was Leic manager i'd be more looking at how ruthlessly Everton exposed Gross and Veltman with direct running and pace.

We'll be pressed and playing through will be tough. It would have been with White in the team. It's up to his team mates to give him an outball, and if that's a hoof down the channels sometimes then fine, we need to be competing for that ball.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I don't imagine for one minute JV will have a sleepless night, on Saturday, tormented by the horrors that wait him.
I'm actually quite surprised he's only scored 5 goals against us (6 if you include Sunday's).

I'm also of the belief that there are games where The Duffman will be exposed, as there should be when we are as we are in this league.

I just struggle with the assumption that win lose or draw, Sunday's game will all be Duffy's fault.

Jamie Vardy has humiliated considerably better centre backs than Duffy.

Brentford's game is all about the press and tempo.
Our game against Brentford resulted in 3 points and a clean sheet.

Was that in spite Duffy?

Of course not and if truth be known the 4 games Duffy has played in you wouldn’t pick other teams to suit his style now Sunday is a real test of his qualities I hope he does as well as he has been doing and that he can build on them but I have my reservations

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Leicester are playing Napoli on Thursday in the noddy Euro Cup. It's a good a time as any to play them albeit it would be better if they were away from home.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Probably he is, but if I was Leic manager i'd be more looking at how ruthlessly Everton exposed Gross and Veltman with direct running and pace.

We'll be pressed and playing through will be tough. It would have been with White in the team. It's up to his team mates to give him an outball, and if that's a hoof down the channels sometimes then fine, we need to be competing for that ball.

Which is probably why March will start rwb as you say we got totally murdered for pace against Everton

Hmmm having an accurate long pass doesn't nesser celery equate to being good on the ball though. :)

I think talk about his flaws though are massively overdone - and people did so cos they were desperate to support the manager. Think that was unfair on Duffy and it is good to see he's taking his second chance

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Cheer up, it might never happen.
After all, who thought he should have been a starter when he came back from Celtic?

Actually I suggested we wouldn't sign a c/b and he could come back a new player to replace White. I also think his ball playing ability is massively over criticised. He's an International Captain and more Foster than Lawrenson, but he's perfectly capable at Premier League level and let's face it, DunknDuffy is the best ever demonstration of synergy on a football pitch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think talk about his flaws though are massively overdone - and people did so cos they were desperate to support the manager. Think that was unfair on Duffy and it is good to see he's taking his second chance

All of this.

I do have to own my blind spot re this debate.

I loves Duffy - he's as close as I can get to the no nonsense players of my yoof.
Yet still has more than enough about his skills to not look out of place against good players.
I bristle when that's called into question. (Even when I'm doing it!)

Currently I'm still a bit titsy from reading criticism of him minutes after the 3 points/clean sheet that took the Albion to third.

Vardy and players of his ilk don't attack in a manner favourable to any of our mahooosive centre backs.
It'll take a team effort to keep him our from open play.
(The less said about our current corner defensive set up, the better, as far as I'm concerned)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Actually I suggested we wouldn't sign a c/b and he could come back a new player to replace White. I also think his ball playing ability is massively over criticised. He's an International Captain and more Foster than Lawrenson, but he's perfectly capable at Premier League level and let's face it, DunknDuffy is the best ever demonstration of synergy on a football pitch.

Shame on me.

As much as I felt the club wasn't signing another.
I did think one of the kids would be drafted in with Shane in the Championship 'nearer his level now'.

Probably goes someway to explain why I'm even more of a :cheery: now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First game on Sunday where I’m concerned about how Duffy will manage I can see him being targeted

Oh.

Are we in trouble v palace as that's the dictionary definition of a Duffy Type Game?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think the point was made elsewhere, but you couldn't take a ball-playing defender and make him brave if he wasn't. But if you've got a defender with a heart as big as the Amex, you can work on his passing and distribution and improve that enough to make him fit into a Graham Potter team. And Potter obviously understands and values that sort of asset because he stuck up for Dan Burn when he was having a difficult time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I already spoke about Duffy on the new Duffy thread. No need to be a dick about it!

Christ, wave goodbye to 99% of NSC traffic. :lolol: :kiss:

Come not only did I predict Duffy's performance I even predicted Vardy's goal.
Nobody else can lay claim to that kind of insight...

...oh :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m on nightshifts and a sensitive tw@t :mad: I know you were right when I was being overly pessimistic

Can't do nights.

I did them for about 2 months, once, and I'd have been safer driving home from work in a dodge'um.

Once a week I would be inches away from ploughing into something - normally something large - like a stationary bus.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m on nightshifts and a sensitive tw@t :mad: I know you were right when I was being overly pessimistic

Could you please write him off before every game. Im superstitious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here