Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Stub Hub explanation please?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yes, I'm old, yes I much prefer box offices you can queue outside or phone on a landline number but can anyone explain to me how stub hub works? And how its legal?

I'm planning to take a group of Gentlemen of a certain age to the AJ fight on 25th September, but the tickets allegedly sold out within 'minutes' via stub hub, but now I can see I can buy numerous tickets off stub hub but at a much higher price than the face value.

I thought ticket touting, which this is, is illegal, so how can it be done in such plain sight?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I'm old, yes I much prefer box offices you can queue outside or phone on a landline number but can anyone explain to me how stub hub works? And how its legal?

I'm planning to take a group of Gentlemen of a certain age to the AJ fight on 25th September, but the tickets allegedly sold out within 'minutes' via stub hub, but now I can see I can buy numerous tickets off stub hub but at a much higher price than the face value.

I thought ticket touting, which this is, is illegal, so how can it be done in such plain sight?

Been in the news (again) this week....the CMA have been after them for ages with continual investigations and warnings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58225568

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I first started using Stub Hub in the States the tickets on sale were being sold at face value, now it's just another scalpers venue.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Touting of football tickets is illegal. Most other things (concerts etc) can be touted legally and are. Stub Hub etc are professionals at it and often get batches of tickets that aren’t even available to the public in the first place.

It should be banned but won’t be as too many snouts in the trough.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

They're owned by eBay and are an official ticket reseller. So depends on the event terms and conditions. For those resell tickets stubhub is just hosting a transaction between you and a ticket owner. Unless the T&Cs state you can't sell on or transfer your ticket, it's not touting unfortunately.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They're owned by eBay and are an official ticket reseller. So depends on the event terms and conditions. For those resell tickets stubhub is just hosting a transaction between you and a ticket owner. Unless the T&Cs state you can't sell on or transfer your ticket, it's not touting unfortunately.

it's worse than touting it contrived by bigger organisers to upsell tickets at amounts hugely above their face value. They get away with it because they find people with more money than sense to buy them.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The whole ticketing business has become a scam with the likes of Ticketmaster having a complete monopoly on events and adding all their extortionate on charges, and then the likes of Stub Hub allowing buyers to be ripped off a second time

But, as other posters have said, all the while a gullible public is quite happy to be fleeced in this way it will continue.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s the corporate market that feeds this unpleasant industry, ie Miss Moneypenny, We need to impress xxxxx, get me xx of the best tickets for xxxx. I don’t care what they cost.

Not accusing you of this Lenny!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
it's worse than touting it contrived by bigger organisers to upsell tickets at amounts hugely above their face value. They get away with it because they find people with more money than sense to buy them.

You're right about the first part, but it's not entirely more money than sense. Sometimes it's just something they really want to see and are willing to stretch financially to do so.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wow!

So eBay bought it for $310m in 2007, sold it for $4000m in 2020. That’s a decent 13 year profit.:eek:

Julien Lavelle a global ‘super scalper’ has a multi-million pound business just through touting on Stubhub etc.:eek::eek:

Yup, I watched a documentary (maybe on YT) about one of them, he has specially written software that pretty much ensures he can buy the best tickets before anyone gets close to them. He bragged about spending tens or hundreds of thousands on tickets on the basis that he'd sell them all for a profit later.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It’s the corporate market that feeds this unpleasant industry, ie Miss Moneypenny, We need to impress xxxxx, get me xx of the best tickets for xxxx. I don’t care what they cost.

To be fair I have been forced down this route before, when I took Harty Jnr to the Portugal Q-F in Gelsenkirchen in 2006, and most recently the 2020 final at Wembley, but I knew the ground rules, I phoned the same bloke twice, we agreed prices, although clearly a factor was I buried his dear old Mum in 2004, Matchroom sell all the tickets through Stub Hub then within hours of the sell out, its all back on sale at inflated prices, surely Matchroom should be questioning it as well? Unless their in on it?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

might be difficult to impress some of his clients..

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
To be fair I have been forced down this route before, when I took Harty Jnr to the Portugal Q-F in Gelsenkirchen in 2006, and most recently the 2020 final at Wembley, but I knew the ground rules, I phoned the same bloke twice, we agreed prices, although clearly a factor was I buried his dear old Mum in 2004, Matchroom sell all the tickets through Stub Hub then within hours of the sell out, its all back on sale at inflated prices, surely Matchroom should be questioning it as well? Unless their in on it?

According to the stuff on the guy posted above, they write coding bots that basically buy up all the tickets the second they go on sale. Us plebs sitting hitting refresh don't stand a chance. Clearly the organisers don't give a monkeys. :down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to the stuff on the guy posted above, they write coding bots that basically buy up all the tickets the second they go on sale. Us plebs sitting hitting refresh don't stand a chance. Clearly the organisers don't give a monkeys. :down:

I just read that the fight took 24 hours to sell out. Thats a reasonable window of opportunity; it seems, for this particular event, plebs did stand a chance. Why the OP didn’t buy tickets during this time I don’t know, but it seems it was possible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You were happy with the “ground rules” then, but seemingly not now? Has anything therefore changed?

Whilst it’s difficult to say if Stubhub are directly in-on-it they certainly profit from this activity; consequently they have zero interest in stopping it. This has been going on in the music world for some time and it’s only the artists who seem bothered to try and stop it. If AJ wanted to do something about this he could.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I just read that the fight took 24 hours to sell out. Thats a reasonable window of opportunity; it seems, for this particular event, plebs did stand a chance. Why the OP didn’t buy tickets during this time I don’t know, but it seems it was possible.

Sorry but that's BS, Eddie Hearn was crowing on DAZN that the fight sold out within minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here