Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On This Day - 1979, The Albion v Arsenal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Fabulous memories! My first ever BHA game and the day, therefore, that I became a Seagulls fan. Thanks for posting, Stat Brother.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still remember it very clearly, arrived full of hope and left deflated. We had most of the ball and Arsenal contained us and hit us on the break at will, they didn’t even get out of second gear :down:

Not sure we even managed a full house either, or maybe that was a VAT scam

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Remember it well: all that optimism and hope blown away in about half an hour

It was a mate's wedding that day and I and quite a few of his friends didn't go to the ceremony (it wasn't the greatest day to pick TBH). I did go to the reception and there was an air of gloom over quite a few of us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Liam Brady master class that day. Welcome to the First Division.

Purely for footballing reasons alone, irrespective of what came later, given a masterclass by Brady is fine by me.

There haven't been too many players I'd accept a one man beat down from, but Brady is one.

I remember him playing for us for half a testimonial, Liam in the stripes...

... marvelous scenes.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Quite the experience and quite the turning over. We could easily have lost by 6 or 7 despite having a lot of the ball, defensively we lacked nous. Trouble in Hove park too as I recall all in all a day that highlighted the task ahead of us...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We started off relatively well, but found ourselves 3-0 down at half-time.

Took us ages to even score against Arsenal in the top division - clearly that’s not an issue second time around.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Still got all of these Football Handbooks

arsenal-fh1.jpg

arsenal-fh10.jpg

arsenal-fh8.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
And the East stand full of away fans who had had years of experience buying tickets for away games in the home stands. Or were they locals finally getting to see their Arsenal?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Purely for footballing reasons alone, irrespective of what came later, given a masterclass by Brady is fine by me.

There haven't been too many players I'd accept a one man beat down from, but Brady is one.

I remember him playing for us for half a testimonial, Liam in the stripes...

... marvelous scenes.

Yep - Dean Wilkins testimonial

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
An 'I was there moment for me'.
In the close up picture of the crowd I seem to remember the scaffolding camera gantry was built on the top of that small building later - I may be wrong???
Our crowd of twenty three year olds used to stand in that area from time to time.
In a game in that period The Match Of The Day mics picked up my voice shouting 'GET IT OVERRRRR!!!!
This was mentioned by Jimmy Hill that night on tv.
Luckily the player took no notice and a minute later we scored :albion2:

Over forty years later you may hear me in the East Upper shout the same words - with the same outcome.
What do I know about football? :)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Couldn't make it - because I was at Wembley Stadium to see The Stranglers supporting The Who (AC/DC on the bill to).

Was desperate to know the score, but this was a lifetime before Smartphones. Then, a few songs into their set, Stranglers guitarist and dead-pan main singer, Hugh Cornwell asks: "Any Brighton fans here?". A few of us enthusiastically responded in the affirmative, to which he sneered: "You lost 4-0".

Tillo

Sep 1, 2007
NSW
Aside from the semi disappointment of it being less than a 30,000 gate, my main memory was bang 4 shots and 4 goals, finishing like we never saw in the lower divisions and a massive insight into what lay ahead and if my memory serves me correctly, heaps of Arsenal fans having their boot laces or boots taken off ?

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I remember it , but being 10 at the time, it is a bit of a blur. It was the first time that I had seen us hammered by anyone, and I remember feeling wierd - excited to see players who were household names and who had won the FA Cup in that amazing game vs. Man Utd a matter of weeks before. Excited to see in "real-life" what was an iconic (Arsenal) kit. The only goal I remember is the Alan Sunderland flicked header into the North Stand goal : all perm and moustache. As a 10 year old, I shrugged it off pretty quickly - a blip. After all, I didn't know that I had grown up watching us in a golden era and this was the start of what watching a "smaller" team was all about!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
1FABE8E3-6ED7-4570-9C05-F4EE93923DB8.jpeg

Why it’s on it’s side I don’t know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here