Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Vigil TV Series

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
They don’t call them Regulators any more. Apparently they are now more professional which to be honest is it difficult.

I only ever met one reggie who I had any time for and he wasn’t a real reggie. A very old and salty Chief Coxswain whose beard would put captain Birdeyes to shame. Lovely guy who could have trooped me for being 1) pissed 2) unconscious next to Victory 3) covered in puke but decided to wake a couple of lads up with ‘look after him’. I turned to the next day with a biblical hangover and reported to him. He simply said’ try not to collapse in the dockyard next time and btw, here’s you wallet and ID card’ which I’d dropped. That would have been the grand slam for any reggie and he simply ignored it. I did however buy him a shed load of beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coxswains were normally on small ships/boats iirc. you were very lucky there shipwreck, especially with your id/wallet :smile:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Don't mind confined spaces. Love the water. But I'd never in a million years go in a tin can xxx feet under the sea. Got to have a certain mentality to do that I think. All power to them.

Looks like a great BBC drama.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Line of Duty lost it’s way in the last two series’ but was well produced. This looks good though, good cast.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Coxswains were normally on small ships/boats iirc. you were very lucky there shipwreck, especially with your id/wallet :smile:

He was a star.

He’s centre stage in the attached phot. Admiral Stanford telling me to leave his daughter alone.

c8f9ea1ff29b81b73742aeb57b8fff44.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As a skimmer, I have to agree with Admiral Arthur Wilson, “ Submariners are nothing more than tradesmen and submarines are underhand, unfair, and damned un-English”.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They don’t call them Regulators any more. Apparently they are now more professional which to be honest is it difficult.

I only ever met one reggie who I had any time for and he wasn’t a real reggie. A very old and salty Chief Coxswain whose beard would put captain Birdeyes to shame. Lovely guy who could have trooped me for being 1) pissed 2) unconscious next to Victory 3) covered in puke but decided to wake a couple of lads up with ‘look after him’. I turned to the next day with a biblical hangover and reported to him. He simply said’ try not to collapse in the dockyard next time and btw, here’s you wallet and ID card’ which I’d dropped. That would have been the grand slam for any reggie and he simply ignored it. I did however buy him a shed load of beer.

I had a reverse experience with an RPO when I was a cell sentry for another chef at HMS Cochrane.

It was close to Christmas, a couple of days before leave, and I was told if I did cell sentry at Cochrane for one of our boys I could go on leave a day early. My mate was no bother at all, he’d been on the trot for 6 months, and been caught and was just waiting to be thrown out. It got to about 1 a.m. and the shore patrol brought in an extremely emotional RPO, and banged him up in an adjacent cell to my mate. They told me to leave the cell door on the clip at the top, so the door wasn’t fully closed, anyway this RPO was ranting and raving that he wanted a smoke, but, as everyone who did any time in Pussers cells know, prisoners can’t smoke. So, he calmed down a bit, and after a while he called me over to the door saying he’d cut himself and wanted a Doc. I went over to the door, he grabbed me by the throat, and stuck one on me.
I knocked the clip off the door, clocked him , and pushed him back and slammed the door shut and pressed the alarm. The corridor filled up with crushers who asked what had happened, and then went in the cell, and gave the RPO prisoner a good kicking while ‘ restraining him’ in a Neil Robinson stretcher.

I had to finish my watch as cell sentry, and matey was quite for the rest of the night. He was distraught in the morning, he realised he’d messed up big time. Eventually he was court martialed and thrown out.
He’d originally been nicked because he was such an ******** that even the other crushers hated him.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I had a reverse experience with an RPO when I was a cell sentry for another chef at HMS Cochrane.

It was close to Christmas, a couple of days before leave, and I was told if I did cell sentry at Cochrane for one of our boys I could go on leave a day early. My mate was no bother at all, he’d been on the trot for 6 months, and been caught and was just waiting to be thrown out. It got to about 1 a.m. and the shore patrol brought in an extremely emotional RPO, and banged him up in an adjacent cell to my mate. They told me to leave the cell door on the clip at the top, so the door wasn’t fully closed, anyway this RPO was ranting and raving that he wanted a smoke, but, as everyone who did any time in Pussers cells know, prisoners can’t smoke. So, he calmed down a bit, and after a while he called me over to the door saying he’d cut himself and wanted a Doc. I went over to the door, he grabbed me by the throat, and stuck one on me.
I knocked the clip off the door, clocked him , and pushed him back and slammed the door shut and pressed the alarm. The corridor filled up with crushers who asked what had happened, and then went in the cell, and gave the RPO prisoner a good kicking while ‘ restraining him’ in a Neil Robinson stretcher.

I had to finish my watch as cell sentry, and matey was quite for the rest of the night. He was distraught in the morning, he realised he’d messed up big time. Eventually he was court martialed and thrown out.
He’d originally been nicked because he was such an ******** that even the other crushers hated him.

You are going some for fellow reggie’s to despise you.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They were really made up when he was brought in, even the Joss was happy in the morning when he interviewed me, his actual words were,”Got the bar steward”

In a branch of total ********s he was clearly head and shoulders above the rest!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They will be honest and forthright and far to complicated for any of you Skimmers to understand [emoji106]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Speaking as ex armourer if it can’t be fixed with a hammer and copper drift it’s is too complicated.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Traditionally, sailors float on top of the water, if you go under the water, something has gone drastically wrong, and if you want to be in the air, join the RAF.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here