Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The advantages of slow starts

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So many times last season, we’d play well in the first half, sometimes very very well (Leicester at home), we’d get a goal up and would be feeling brilliant about ourselves but we’d often end up losing the initiative in the 2nd half and conceding an equaliser or winner to the opposition. We hardly ever went a goal down, instead, we’d take the first punch but hit the canvas later when our opponent found form.

Surely it’s much better to finish strongly?

Do our two recent away matches at Burnley prove that to get a result, you need to play well AT THE RIGHT TIME? A good final 30mins is essential in my opinion. I won’t be moaning at slow starts anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No idea what is best, but I’m grateful we have a manger who, when things are not going well, has both the ability to spot this and then make changes to fix it. He doesn’t always get it right but on balance he usually does.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don't agree.

It's not a case of you can either be good at the start or at the end. You can be good throughout. We need more 90 min performances if we're getting up this league. That's the difference between a comfortable mid table side and a perpetual struggler.

Too many times last season we were good for 45 mins or 60 mins.

It doesn't mean we need to dominate for 90 mins, because only the top few teams can do that. It's a bloody tough league. It's about when the other team is having a spell of pressure you're still being positive, being dangerous on the counter. Spurs v City is the performance I have in mind.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
So many times last season, we’d play well in the first half, sometimes very very well (Leicester at home), we’d get a goal up and would be feeling brilliant about ourselves but we’d often end up losing the initiative in the 2nd half and conceding an equaliser or winner to the opposition. We hardly ever went a goal down, instead, we’d take the first punch but hit the canvas later when our opponent found form.

Surely it’s much better to finish strongly?

Do our two recent away matches at Burnley prove that to get a result, you need to play well AT THE RIGHT TIME? A good final 30mins is essential in my opinion. I won’t be moaning at slow starts anymore.

Won't stop the bed wetters like Justice from filling the match day thread with their normal doom and gloom, or starting a dozen threads about how crap Duffy is etc... mid game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't agree.

It's not a case of you can either be good at the start or at the end. You can be good throughout. We need more 90 min performances if we're getting up this league. That's the difference between a comfortable mid table side and a perpetual struggler.

Too many times last season we were good for 45 mins or 60 mins.

It doesn't mean we need to dominate for 90 mins, because only the top few teams can do that. It's a bloody tough league. It's about when the other team is having a spell of pressure you're still being positive, being dangerous on the counter. Spurs v City is the performance I have in mind.

Kind of agree. We will rarely play well all game and I’d say it’s more about keeping a cool head and not panicking when we’re not. Saturday was a good example; we were poor all first half, were bullied and could have felt sorry for ourselves with the goal. But, we hung on until half time and managed to change things around spectacularly. The boss and the players have to take a lot of credit for this…although Potter didn’t want to take any in his MOTD interview.

As the season progresses we will see less performances like the rusty first half at Turf Moor. Whilst I still expect to see us dominated for long periods I also expect we will ride it out with a far better shape then we did on Saturday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No idea what is best, but I’m grateful we have a manger who, when things are not going well, has both the ability to spot this and then make changes to fix it. He doesn’t always get it right but on balance he usually does.

I thought it odd in his post-match interview when the interviewer tried to get GPott to take credit for the turn around at halftime.

If they weren't so scared of managers surely the correct question was:-

'so, that first half, what the f**k were you thinking?'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought it odd in his post-match interview when the interviewer tried to get GPott to take credit for the turn around at halftime.

Fair. He had started with at least 3 players out of position. Why??

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

This . . . . 'So Graham, were you relieved the mushroom infused elk piss wore off at half time?'

this is the kind of journalism we need post match.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Or just "what were you thinking?". It would indeed have been interesting to hear his reasoning.

No surprise this made you a lot more hard than the win though. Not one expression of happiness with the win since it happened - just continued your endless moaning.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Absolutely agree - although a simple "Graham, what was the thinking with the starting line up?" should've got the ball rolling.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My view ..... he's done enough random stuff that was worked, not to cop flak for doing some random stuff that doesn't work. Especially as we're balls deep in an injury crisis and he wasn't stubborn about it when it became apparent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or just "what were you thinking?". It would indeed have been interesting to hear his reasoning.

No surprise this made you a lot more hard than the win though. Not one expression of happiness with the win since it happened - just continued your endless moaning.

From the match day thread about 2/3rds into my 13 hours drive:-

Making good time, at Oxford services now, the first 60 minutes reminded me of when Danny Shitu (of all people) owned us at the AMEX.

The last 30 minutes reminded me why I love the Albion.

I appreciate you have no idea about the Danny Shitu game because you don't support the Albion.

You have no idea how low most of us felt that night as Danny Shitu gave us the run-around and completely controlled the game, because at that time you had never heard of the Albion.

You also have no idea who Danny Shitu is, so have no idea how embarrassing that evening was.

I'd also like you to note the word 'Love' and also 'Albion'.
Not 'football' not 'days like this', not 'the manager'.

"WHY I LOVE THE ALBION".

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
From the match day thread about 2/3rds into my 13 hours drive:-

I appreciate you have no idea about the Danny Shitu game because you don't support the Albion.
You have no idea how low most of us felt that night as Danny Shitu gave us the run-around and completely controlled the game, because at that time you had never heard of the Albion.
You also have no idea who Danny Shitu is, so have no idea how embarrassing that evening was.

I'd also like you to note the word 'Love' and also Albion.
Not 'football' not 'days like this', not 'the manager'.

WHY I LOVE THE ALBION.

I wish I had a NSC nemesis to play with like you two do, you must both be so happy having someone to vent at every frikin day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I had a NSC nemesis to play with like you two do, you must both be so happy having someone to vent at every frikin day.

Its one way traffic then about every 6 months I acknowledge his presence.

That said I was having a shite shite time a couple of weeks ago.
So I do have to own my part of goading him.

Bless him he was smart enough to realise what was going on but not smart enough to stop himself.
Which I turn did make me laugh, when he finally cracked.

I should be done with him now for the rest of the year - unless something BIG happens.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I disagree, the difference is what we do when the opposition are gaining momentum within the game. Last season our biggest issue was not making the most when we were on top, a 2 goal lead is very difficult to come back from and we need to turn some of those draws into wins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here