Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barcelona's Finances!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just reading the Beeb website and reviewing the Barcelona President's conference from today,

"Barcelona president Joan Laporta has revealed the Spanish club is 1.35bn euros (£1.15bn) in debt, describing the situation as "very worrying".
The club's wage bill currently accounts for 103% of total income.
Laporta blames predecessor Josep Maria Bartomeu for the debt, accusing him of leaving a "terrible inheritance".
Extending Lionel Messi's contract would have made the wage bill accountable for 110% of revenue, which La Liga refused to accept.

"Our salaries represent 103% of the club's total income, that's 20-25% more than our competitors," said Laporta, now in his second term as president after winning March's election.
"The first thing we had to do when we arrived was to ask for a loan of 80m euros because, otherwise, we could not pay the salaries. The previous regime was full of lies.
"Barcelona has a negative net worth of 451m euros - it is a terrible inheritance. What has been happening is very worrying."

Blimey. And I thought our loss of £67m from the season before last was a fair wedge.

Should we pass the hat around?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Pardon my ignorance but given the ownership structure of Barcelona I can’t see how they can get out of this mess? It’s not like they would sell to a Middle Eastern consortium or would this be considered?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
What Barca and Real M used to do was to buy say a few hectares of City land off the council for 1million Euros then sell it back for 100million Euros, to get over the debt imbalance. I presume those days of 'faux accounting' are no longer allowed in a post Covid Spain. Hell mend them I say.

TNBA

TTF

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't normally like to see a club go to the wall, but.....

Anyway, a phoenix will rise like Rangers did from the ashes, but a few seasons battling back from Tercera División, with matches on fields in front of a dozen gauchos will focus their minds ??? I'd pay good money to see them play Calalonian minnows, Associació Esportiva Prat.

Prat.PNG

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Barcelona after years of tapping up players with absurd contracts and bullying the league into shitty things like the lopsided TV deal, have become undone by the very problem they created.

The best thing they could do is sell off any players they can and accept a few seasons of (relative) mediocity whilst some of the more ludicrous contracts they agreed to run out. Only trouble with that is it will probably result in loss of commercial revenue making their situation temporarily worse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its sad.

No set of fans deserve to have crooked people in charge destryoing their football club.

Will be interesting to see what Laporta does about it. The club had shitty finances last time he took over as well and he kind of solved it. Worse now though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Should’ve sold some of their assets before their contracts expired then, shouldn’t they? I’m sure they could’ve got a few quid for Messi this time last year, never mind a season earlier.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What Barca and Real M used to do was to buy say a few hectares of City land off the council for 1million Euros then sell it back for 100million Euros, to get over the debt imbalance. I presume those days of 'faux accounting' are no longer allowed in a post Covid Spain. Hell mend them I say.

TNBA

TTF
I heard that they also used to borrow from banks and default on paying it back. The banks were afraid that if they called in the debt and publicised it millions of Real and Barca supporters would close their accounts.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It is very difficult to muster and sympathy for a club so badly mismanaged financially for so long. None of this was a surprise. None of it was done in secret. Been living beyond their means for years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember Joan's first stint as president, Barca were positively frugal and kept the wages down to 72% of income....

.... NOT.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Perhaps they should create a new league…

Oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here