Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Book recommendation

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I really like Tana French's Dublin based books. Forget the terrible TV adaptations earlier this year - she's excellent. If you want Brighton crime stories, you could try Sara Sheridan's books. They're not particularly gritty but they're an OK read, it's nice to read something about Brighton in the 50s.

If you like spy thrillers, I recommend Alan Furst and Joseph Kanon - particularly Furst.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I really like Tana French's Dublin based books. Forget the terrible TV adaptations earlier this year - she's excellent. If you want Brighton crime stories, you could try Sara Sheridan's books. They're not particularly gritty but they're an OK read, it's nice to read something about Brighton in the 50s.

If you like spy thrillers, I recommend Alan Furst and Joseph Kanon - particularly Furst.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a cliche maybe, but the trilogy of the late Stieg Larsson? In order. Starting with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Pretty much the Scando equivalent of Peter James, nothing too deep, nothing too meaningful. Perfick holiday read I'd say

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
James Ellroy.

The L.A quartet(The black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A confidential, White Jazz) and the underworld trilogy( American Tabloid, the cold 6000, Bloods a rover).

They're all brilliant. Every character is various shades of black and white, the world they live in is sleazy, sexy, violent, deadly, corrupt. If you only read one, go for L.A Confidential.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’d go with Jeff Dawson….
Three books so far featuring Ingo Finch. First one “No ordinary killing” starts in the Boer war, second “The Cold North Sea”, based on the Russians attacking the fishing fleet from Grimsby and lastly “Hell Gate” set in New York.
Great character quintessentially British, quirky and all good reads based around facts.
Hopefully a lot more to come!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If you're into crime books you've likely already devoured it but Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' is an incredible work of non-fiction. I took it on holiday and got through it in two days.

I read this about 20 years ago and it's still stuck with me today as one of the single most compelling reads I've every picked up.

If you're looking for crime books, Dennis Lehane writes some corkers (his Boston Trilogy starting with The Given Day is superb).

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
An excellent series to read are the 'Malmo Murders' series by Torquil Macleod. Quite different from the normal police crime novels. Do read them in order.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Just read darktown by Thomas Mullen, racial tension n 1948 Atlanta, centred around a murder investigation. Enjoyed it.

Jul 7, 2003
Caimh McConnell has an excellent series of stories which come with some very funny moments. There is the Dublin Trilogy and then another set about one of the characters in that.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'd recommend books by JD Kirk

Like Peter James, but set in the Highlands of Scotland

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Don Winslow’s ‘Cartel’ trilogy, starting with Power of the dog, followed by The Cartel, and rounded off by The Border.

Stunning story telling, it’ll take you longer than a 2 week holiday to read all 3, but, my goodness, they are worth the time to read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here