Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Official NSC Theatregoer Thread

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
All things theatre trips. Recommendations, reviews and more!

To get the ball rolling, I was amazed by the fabulous new production of "Anything Goes" at the Barbican. Robert Lindsay, Sutton Foster and Felicity Kendall blew my socks off. A hilarious performance for all the family.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I went to see South Pacific at the Chichester Festival theatre a few weeks ago.

As it was only the second performance after the theatre reopened after lockdown, both audience and cast was excited to be back. A truly superb evening. Quite emotional at the end, several encores!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I went to see South Pacific at the Chichester Festival theatre a few weeks ago.

As it was only the second performance after the theatre reopened after lockdown, both audience and cast was excited to be back. A truly superb evening. Quite emotional at the end, several encores!

We enjoyed this too... excellent staging, great signing and something quiet endearing about the heavily pregnant leading lady.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Another vote for South Pacific. Couldn't make it to Chichester but watched the live stream from home - excellent production.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Gina Beck, yes she and her bump were equally fantastic. Shortly to leave the show permantly l believe . . . probably not surprisingly. :blush:

Gina is very lovely. I seem to see her in everything; Les Mis, Phantom, Wicked, Jacques Brel is Alive and Well... worked with her once too. The pregnancy really wasn't an issue and they did some wonderful costume work around it too.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've been looking forward to the theatres opening again. Back in July I went to watch 'Operation Mincemeat' at the Southwark Playhouse. I've seen the show before and mentioned on here how much I love it, but it is still a work in progress so the show was different to the last itme I saw it. It is running until late/mid September, and I'd definitely recommend it. Based on the true story of operation mincemeat (previously made into a film call the man who never was, Ben Macintyre wrote a book and made a bbc documentary about it, too). Such fun.

SIX was an unexpected delight.

I went to see that and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would (and I love musicals, as anyone who checked out the songs from musical threads might remember).

Come From Away (Phoenix Theatre, Charing Cross Road). I went a couple of weeks ago, not knowing anything about it but really enjoyed it. Hard to imagine a musical about 9/11 but it works.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2...theatre-relentless-post-911-canadian-kindness

I saw that a few years ago. It's a really good show. A recording of the Broadway version of the show is coming to Apple TV soon.

Jul 7, 2003
I see that Back To The Future The Musical is finally due to open in London. I saw the previews in Manchester just before lockdown and it is pretty well done. Roger Bart who plays Doc Brown is really great - captures the madcap Doc but in his own style rather than trying to do a direct impression. The finale is very impressive.

Last week, Mrs DCH and I went to see The Windsor's End Game. It is a limited run based on the Channel 4 TV series. If you liked the TV series you will like this. Not high brow and not the greatest show but an entertaining and there is a great number sang by Tracey Ann Oberman as Camilla about Diana which Daily Express readers will be highly offended by but those with a warped sense of humour will find very funny.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Mrs P and I spent a few days in London this week, and decided to go to see a show on Wednesday. As we usually do, we just went to the ticket booth in Leicester Sq on the day to see what we could get tickets for on the cheap, and ended up going to see Hairspray at the Coliseum Theatre. Wasn't particularly my first choice, but thought I'd earn some brownie points, but have to say I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Been so long since I've seen anything "live" at all and it felt bloody great to be back, especially with it being such a feel good storyline.

Have to say though, the (very surreal) highlight had to be Michael Ball in drag singing and dancing to a love song with Les Dennis playing the husband :lolol:

As an aside, I'd never been to the Coliseum before and wow, it's a spectacular theatre!

col1.jpg

col2.jpg

col3.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mrs P and I spent a few days in London this week, and decided to go to see a show on Wednesday. As we usually do, we just went to the ticket booth in Leicester Sq on the day to see what we could get tickets for on the cheap, and ended up going to see Hairspray at the Coliseum Theatre. Wasn't particularly my first choice, but thought I'd earn some brownie points, but have to say I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Been so long since I've seen anything "live" at all and it felt bloody great to be back, especially with it being such a feel good storyline.

Have to say though, the (very surreal) highlight had to be Michael Ball in drag singing and dancing to a love song with Les Dennis playing the husband :lolol:

As an aside, I'd never been to the Coliseum before and wow, it's a spectacular theatre!

View attachment 140498

View attachment 140499

View attachment 140500

I went to the coliseum to see Bat out of Hell back in 2017. Pretty impromptu decision (I had been to take my niece somewhere, and decided to check out a show and wandered around and decided to go with BooH). Very osh theatre. There are some that feel modern, some that seem classic or lived in, the coliseum felt posh.

I'm going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber and Emerald Fennell's Cinderella tomorrow at the modern Gillian Lynne Theatre.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to see Heathers at the Theatre Royal this evening. It's there all week. I saw the show in London a few times a few years back. That was, I think, the first major UK production, and it was the cast that recorded the uk soundtrack album (there's a US version from when it ran off-broadway, which has a couple of different songs from before the show was refined). The girl playing Veronica (the main role Winona played in the movie) was good, and though I preferred the cast from when I saw it in London, the show is fun enough to carry them, and I'm sure if you're not so familiar with that original london cast (it did have another London run earlier this year, but only one (I think) of the original cast returned) you'll enjoy them even more.

Based on the film from the 80s with Christian Slater and Winona Ryder, tells the story of a girl who becomes one of the popular girls, then things take a turn for the worse...

https://youtu.be/EK9KJT3rK4I

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lets face it, it's just people standing on a stage reading out someone else's word and pretending to be somebody else.

Acting is lying and let's not pretend it's anything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here