Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Talking point Ben White

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Yes i know he's not our player anymore but, from a football point of view do you think he'll be able to step up to the incoming bombardment of longballs he's going to face this season?

Brilliant player when he has real strength next to him, be fascinating to see if he can adjust his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsWrkP7h88

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hard to disagree with their analysis tbf. White looked so good for us because of our formation and the fact that Dunk and Webster were good in the air and the introduction of Sanchez who isn’t afraid to come and claim the ball. Different kettle of fish now he hasn’t got that quality around him in defence at Arsenal.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I fear it will get worse next game as probably up against Lukaku as mentioned in the video, that could be a horror show for White.
An obvious solution, Arsenal switch to a back 3, but I don't see that happening, so White will I am sure adapt as the season progresses and become better in dealing with the situations mentioned.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Needs to build a bit of muscle but he will be fine in the long run.

Thought his two best games (Man City & Leeds) last season were in midfield, wouldnt shock me if he ends up there in the end, if he struggles as a defender.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep, wrong system, wrong player, wrong club.

To be fair any CB in the country, with the possible exception of VVD, will be shitting it prior to playing against Lukaku! Ultimately unless Arsenal revert to a system that works for BW we’re looking at a fish out of water, or a duck out of water (waddling about) at best.

It’s early days, but that price tag carries so much pressure… I wish him well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hard to disagree with their analysis tbf. White looked so good for us because of our formation and the fact that Dunk and Webster were good in the air and the introduction of Sanchez who isn’t afraid to come and claim the ball. Different kettle of fish now he hasn’t got that quality around him in defence at Arsenal.

It is astonishing that Arsenal have jizzed £50m on a defender that doesn't solve their biggest issues. They need a modern day Steve Bould or Tony Adams. If they got one, they'd get the best out of White and would probably look a completely different side. Maybe they will still get that player, but for now White looks a clueless signing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When they signed him I just assumed he would be in a 3 at the back.

IF they are genuinely planning on playing him in a back 4 then the transfer was utter madness.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't see Arteta lasting that long. The Ben faces an uphill battle for his place. Good luck to the fella, except when he plays us

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, wrong system, wrong player, wrong club.

To be fair any CB in the country, with the possible exception of VVD, will be shitting it prior to playing against Lukaku! Ultimately unless Arsenal revert to a system that works for BW we’re looking at a fish out of water, or a duck out of water (waddling about) at best.

It’s early days, but that price tag carries so much pressure… I wish him well.
Lukaku running at you, Burnt Leno behind and Rob Holding next to you - not good.

Although the same could be said if you swapped out Lukaku for Big Jurg.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It is astonishing that Arsenal have jizzed £50m on a defender that doesn't solve their biggest issues. They need a modern day Steve Bould or Tony Adams. If they got one, they'd get the best out of White and would probably look a completely different side. Maybe they will still get that player, but for now White looks a clueless signing.

Arsenal have already got that player in Gabriel Magalhaes.
He's out injured at the moment after picking up a knee injury when winning the Olympic Gold medal with Brazil.
He's expected to be out for about a month which is rather unhelpful to Arsenal.

White and Gabriel will make a great partnership.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I must admit that I was surprised to see him play as a normal CB. It's not his position and he was hopelessly exposed by being put in that position. Still, £50m eh!?:)

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Arsenal need someone like Dunk or Webster to be a more commanding presence, White was the wrong option. Put White next to a Maguire or a Van Dijk and he’d excel.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Wrong move going to arsenal if they still had an adams type it would be different but at his age and experience level to be the main man it was always going to be tricky. Next to maguire those two would be a very strong pairing

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Wish him all the best but as said Arsenal should have spent that money on Dunk 4 years ago. As sky boys said all top CBs are now good at going forward and priority for a £50m CB is to be able to defend and not get pushed about. If White is expected to defend 50% of high balls at Arsenal he could be in for a lot of stick

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Arsenal have a long history of tall, strong, dominant CBs who I imagine hang around the club as "legends" in one capacity of another. I'm sure they will get time with Ben and share the dark arts he requires. He's short for a modern CB, but not that short. He doesn't appear very robust - so maybe a combo of some coaching and adding a bit of muscle will be the answer. But if I'd just spent £50m, I'd have wanted all that in place from the off, if that's what was missing from the squad.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Wish him all the best but as said Arsenal should have spent that money on Dunk 4 years ago. As sky boys said all top CBs are now good at going forward and priority for a £50m CB is to be able to defend and not get pushed about. If White is expected to defend 50% of high balls at Arsenal he could be in for a lot of stick

We play them in a few weeks. Our tactics will be very telling. We know his weaknesses better thn any (including Leeds, his weaknesses only evolved after he came out from under Bielsa's wing) - we're sure to target them if we can.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here