Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zonal Marking at Corners

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
We seem to like Zonal marking at corner but is it really working for us?

I am no expert of this but do know that in Dunk, Duffy and Webster, we have three of the best defenders in the PL when it comes to the arial battles. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me then that we just stand still and try to compete from a standing position against attackers having a run up.

I am happy for somebody to explain the theories of Zonal marking and what we should be doing better as this isn't working for us IMHO :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
never seems to work, or rather when opposition scores it was obvious the zones didnt work. it gives advantage to the attacker. but coaches keep using it so there must be some technical advantages i dont understand.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
TB could do worse than turn to NSC for the next coach when Potter leaves :wink:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We seem to like Zonal marking at corner but is it really working for us?

I am no expert of this but do know that in Dunk, Duffy and Webster, we have three of the best defenders in the PL when it comes to the arial battles. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me then that we just stand still and try to compete from a standing position against attackers having a run up.

I am happy for somebody to explain the theories of Zonal marking and what we should be doing better as this isn't working for us IMHO :shrug:

Who says it isn’t working for us?

The goal yesterday should have been disallowed and last season we conceded the 9th most from set pieces in the PL, less than Man Utd, Leicester and the same as Liverpool. And that despite having Ryan for the first few months of last season. We were clearly better at defending set pieces once Sanchez was a regular.

Not exactly bad.

Last edited:

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I think it’s a combination of both zonal and man marking / blocking, which is probably the best tactic overall, although teams will always concede from corners whatever tactic is employed. Yesterday we could have done with BDB on the far post. UTA.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
never seems to work, or rather when opposition scores it was obvious the zones didnt work. it gives advantage to the attacker. but coaches keep using it so there must be some technical advantages i dont understand.

When zonal marking doesnt work, people blame the system. When man marking fails, people blame the individual but forget that he as well is operating in a system (man marking).

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Isn't Maupay not going for the ball but just getting in the way obstruction? Zonal should be making sure you get the ball if it lands in you area not stopping the opposition getting to the contact area.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of zonal marking at corners? :wink:

Given how few goals we conceded in comparison to others around us last season I don’t think conceding goals is our biggest problem :smile:

There is no right or wrong in zonal or man marking as far as I can see and I don’t feel that strongly about it, but if pushing people out of the way with two hands is not a foul these days I suggest we push opposition forwards to the ground when they are in our box starting next Saturday. Do I get the job?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't Maupay not going for the ball but just getting in the way obstruction? Zonal should be making sure you get the ball if it lands in you area not stopping the opposition getting to the contact area.

A few have expressed a similar view on this but I don’t think having to get out of the way of someone running at you is part of the laws is it? Why did Maupay have to get out of the way because Tarkowski wanted the space he was in? Don’t get it at all, it’s not like he moved to block the run which would have been obstruction.

Is running with the ball straight through someone permitted? Pretty sure it’s not, you have go around them don’t you?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
A few have expressed a similar view on this but I don’t think having to get out of the way of someone running at you is part of the laws is it? Why did Maupay have to get out of the way because Tarkowski wanted the space he was in? Don’t get it at all, it’s not like he moved to block the run which would have been obstruction.

Is running with the ball straight through someone permitted? Pretty sure it’s not, you have go around them don’t you?

In my book (which isn't important!) if he isn't even looking at the ball he is just stopping another player it could easily be obstruction and could risk a free kick in a tricky position. If that isn't obstruction I am not sure what is, if it is still a law anyway!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In my book (which isn't important!) if he isn't even looking at the ball he is just stopping another player it could easily be obstruction and could risk a free kick in a tricky position. If that isn't obstruction I am not sure what is, if it is still a law anyway!

So if Tarkowski hadn’t scored you’d have been OK with the ref giving a penalty?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

This is my concern too. Maupay obstructed (foul?), Tarkovsky pushed (foul!), VAR (check which way the winds blowing....naah). There could be many more inconsistent decisions this season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It was poor defending. We defending appallingly from set pieces in the first half. It happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here