Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Recruitment Dept

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Understandably Barber sticks up for staff and has always said how good this dept is. Have even heard him say how they look ahead and always have players on radar for each position. How is it then we have not had a wide left defender in last year. Potter bought his own man in for recruitment which was an addition to team.
So many now say we havent got money to buy a striker which may well be right. As well as Covid reason is also we wasted so much on transfers and wages on Andone,Locadia,Percy,Alli etc. Was Ashworth in situ when these signings made

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe they are all on holiday, not a lot has gone on in terms of recruitment, first team squad wise anyway, in the last few weeks.

Have they done a great deal this summer? . . . not so much.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Crazy as it is not every transfer in football works out perfectly. Easy to point out he mistakes but easily there are plenty of success stories as well. Lampety, webster, Bissouma Grob for 4. Lots of potential in some of the others like Moder. A fair few have blown hot and cold but have all contributed to our survival like trossard Mupaay Welbeck lallana Ryan before he was sold.
March is a perfectly decent LWB at this level. I doubt it’s escaped the recruitment team but also no point in buying a player to fill a gap for the sake of buying a player. We have been stung like you have pointed out on some of our more expensive signings before and we don’t have the luxury of being in a position to waste another £30 million on a flop.
The lad this summer brought in looks quality. At the end of the day there isn’t a never ending pot of money. The squad does need a LB or one who can play as a LWB as well and yes we could do with another different sort of striker. But if it doesn’t happen we will have to get by and be grateful for the work the recruitment team has got right and be grateful for the money TB has pumped in.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
understandably barber sticks up for staff and has always said how good this dept is. Have even heard him say how they look ahead and always have players on radar for each position. How is it then we have not had a wide left defender in last year. Potter bought his own man in for recruitment which was an addition to team.
So many now say we havent got money to buy a striker which may well be right. As well as covid reason is also we wasted so much on transfers and wages on andone,locadia,percy,alli etc. Was ashworth in situ when these signings made

zzzzzzzzz…….

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Understandably Barber sticks up for staff and has always said how good this dept is. Have even heard him say how they look ahead and always have players on radar for each position. How is it then we have not had a wide left defender in last year. Potter bought his own man in for recruitment which was an addition to team.
So many now say we havent got money to buy a striker which may well be right. As well as Covid reason is also we wasted so much on transfers and wages on Andone,Locadia,Percy,Alli etc. Was Ashworth in situ when these signings made

No Ashworth wasn't in place when we signed those players. Ashworth was announced late 2018 and took up the role in spring 2019 after serving his notice with the FA. All four of the players you mention were signed in the summer 2018 window but in the case of Andone and Ali J we'd tried to sign them before so had been tracking them for a while.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
zzzzzzzzz…….

If the thread bores you so much don’t read it and don’t feel the need to contribute.

The OP had a valid point. I won’t reference the striker situation but how can I much praised recruitment department fail to identify a single left sided fullback/wingback within our price range and then execute the deal?

I think that’s a valid question to ask.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If the thread bores you so much don’t read it and don’t feel the need to contribute.

The OP had a valid point. I won’t reference the striker situation but how can I much praised recruitment department fail to identify a single left sided fullback/wingback within our price range and then execute the deal?

How many times in a week ?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

What do you think the answer is and why do you think our Recruitment dept have not done this? Do you think they are deliberately trying to fail, for the club to get relegated and for us to watch lower standard football?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

This.

I highlight Southampton's capture of Adam Armstrong as the ideal way of doing business. Withinn days of selling Danny Ings to Aston Villa, they had found, and signed, his replacement, Adam Armstrong.

Ok so perhaps they were in were in a better position financially to be able to do so, (although l didn't realise that they were).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Threads like this annoy me because they only look at the negatives without the positive signings.

Where is the thread that's saying how good they are for finding Biss? Or how fantastic they are for signing BEN WHITE after he was let go by the (supposedly brilliant) Southampton and how it's netted us a cool £50m??

Saying that, I do wholeheartedly agree with the OP and they need to step up their game on a LB /LWB.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
There's still time.

Also we're clearly less willing to take a punt these days which is a good thing but agree we really do need a LB/LWB.

We all know a striker would be nice but with the likes of Locadia and Andone still on the books we are stuck paying their wages. Not sure where some people think the money comes from?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ha! I think I’ve read articles and threads on NSC and in the local/national media nearly every day this summer all confirming that the club is looking for a LB/LWB to challenge March, that they’ve targeted Spanish international Marc Cucurella, talks are ongoing and they’ve not been denied by the club. I’ve also read that the club like every other club has 16 days left to finish their business.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think it's up to their Line Managers how they are doing. I suspect they are doing exactly what they are asked to do otherwise they would be replaced. Not aware of any of sackings by the Executive team. Oh, wait a minute... we have no idea how well the recruitment team is performing to their objectives at all!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

So the bloke who wants discounted admission via a season ticket payable in interest free monthly DDs PLUS the unilateral flexibility to pass on a ST free of charge to people who won’t even spend less than thirty quid a year to be a member of the club suddenly wakes up to the fact that there may be a correlation between squad strength and finances.

I knew we’d get there in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here