Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brentford - Am I Unfair in finding them annoying even before they've kicked a ball?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ben McAleer is the latest pundit I've read who seems to think that Brentford are the best equipped of the promoted teams despite finishing a full ten points behind Norwich last year: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-clubs-stay-up-brentford-norwich-and-watford

I've watched and read quite a lot of season previews and the received wisdom seems to be that Norwich haven't changed at all and will go back down, that Watford's squad isn't good enough and that they will join them, but that Brentford are going may find the top league a breeze and become the next Leeds/Sheffield United/Wolves, untroubled by a relegation scrap all season.

Now this may turn out to be the case, but i'm finding it hard to understand what has prompted this view. Brentford are a well run club who play some good football, just like Norwich. The story of the promotion to the top league after so many years has a bit of romance about it, like when Bournemouth and Brighton joined. However, they didn't walk the Championship like Wolves and Leeds did. They went up through the play offs. Based on previous years, this already makes them one of the prime candidates to get relegated. They also conceded more goals than the other two promoted sides last year, letting in 42 compared with Norwich's 36 and Watford's 30. Of the last 15 promoted teams, the only survivors who conceded more goals in their promotion season were Huddersfield and Aston Villa.

I know that it's not Brentford's fault that pundits are getting over excited about them, but it just seems like there is a different attitude to them than there was to most other relatively small teams who got promoted to the top division for the first time in the Premier League era and this has got me irritated with them already. I seem to remember that the likes of Bournemouth, us and Huddersfield were all given absolutely no chance of surviving in our first season. Now it could be that the fact that we all did has been a learning experience for pundits, but I just get the impression that they are all just desperately hoping for one of the three to be the 2021/22 version of Leeds and have picked Brentford because they aren't old news. Norwich are better than they were when they finished 20th. Watford under-performed their xp considerably to get relegated in 2020 and have bounced straight back. Neither have been given a sniff, yet the team that they both outperformed last season are feted for no obviously apparent reason.

Am I alone in finding them a bit irking already? I think that I'm starting to understand Burnley fans, who seem to dislike us for similar reasons. I have argued that the media liking Potter's football more than Dyche's is outside of our control, but yet when the shoe is on the other foot, football's ability to form irrational prejudices and snap dislikes already find me hoping that tonight, to paraphrase Attila: "Arsenal, midst fevered expectation. Those Highbury gods (tear them) to shreds".

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Their manager has said they’ll continue to play like they did in the Championship, I can see a Norwich scenario from two years ago. Great football, the occasional shock result but more stuffings than they’ll like.

Relegation certainties if they do play like the manager says they will.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's funny that 'little old Brentford' are coming across in the media as very arrogant all of a sudden.

Oh well, best ignored. Hope Arsenal stuff 'em tonight.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Since the Albion have been in the Premier my mindset has completely changed. I used to want the lower clubs to beat the top clubs but now I want the top clubs to hammer the bottom clubs except us of course.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Doesn't sound unfair. I feel like I have a similar problem with Fulham, last two times they've come up and everybody jizzes themself over them and how great they play and how lovely there ground is and how bloody nice they are, despite them consistently losing and looking like relegation certainties from the first game. And when I complain about it literally everybody's first response is "have you ever been to Craven Cottage, it's lovely" and I have to bite my tongue clean off to stop myself shouting that I don't give two shits how nice their ground is, they can piss off.

Sorry, I got carried away. Brentford? I'm meh :shrug:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No I also find the media love in a bit annoying. What they're doing is not that different to what a lot of clubs are doing, including ours. Plus we all know this is the game Tony will want to win more than any other.

(I do like their manager though and think he will give everyone some entertainment this season).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have nothing against Brentford, but I'm in my default Premier League position of wanting the big team to absolutely DRY HUMP the small one.

I've never been fully comfortable with this outlook. If we weren't in the PL then I'd be rooting for a Brentford win, so as to fully savour all the embarrassment and fallout from the gooners. But the fact is, we need the big teams to do the business against our fellow plankton who will be mooching around the bottom 6 with us.

4-0 Arsenal and a brutal reality check for the Bees, please.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I think we used to be everyone’s second team and wished us well in the premier league. Now everyone despises us. It’s Brentford’s turn now.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I still like them. Always had fun visiting, and the fans are nice.

I've been to Brentford three or four times. Lost every time. Only scored ONE goal and that was in a penalty shoot out.

Although I've always liked the day out, right up to kick off. I even met Rachel form S club 7 before one game(in Covent garden, not Brentford). That was the game we scored one of our four penalties.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I have nothing against Brentford, but I'm in my default Premier League position of wanting the big team to absolutely DRY HUMP the small one.

I've never been fully comfortable with this outlook. If we weren't in the PL then I'd be rooting for a Brentford win, so as to fully savour all the embarrassment and fallout from the gooners. But the fact is, we need the big teams to do the business against our fellow plankton who will be mooching around the bottom 6 with us.

Think there might be a precedent of a team losing 4-0 at home to Arsenal in their first game in a division but still staying up.

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
Their business model of buying discarded players and selling on at a profit has clearly been successful in climbing the leagues. Whether or not its feasible in the Prem, we'll have to wait and see.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

A 4-0 home defeat to Arsenal for our first ever match in the top flight didn't do us any harm!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Their business model of buying discarded players and selling on at a profit has clearly been successful in climbing the leagues. Whether or not its feasible in the Prem, we'll have to wait and see.

I too am interested in this. The fact that there appears to be bad blood between TB and their owner makes it even more interesting to me

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think they’re seen in a very similar way to us by neutrals. Make of that what you will.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The media do like to have a favourite small team, for years it was "Plucky little Bournemouth", how well they do given the size of the ground, and the love in with Smug Eddie. The fact that they did have a bank roll behind them was conveniently forgotten. as it made the fairytale less appealing.

The other promoted teams have been here time and time again, and of the rest all except us and Burnley are seen as big clubs. We were never the media darlings, and Burnley are just unlikable.

So the media are stuck with Brentford for the "fairytale" its a small club, British Owned, etc

If they do moderately well, we will all be truly sick of the Brentford miracle, and if they get relegated by christmas it will be "poor Brentford, they gave their best"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think we used to be everyone’s second team and wished us well in the premier league. Now everyone despises us. It’s Brentford’s turn now.

Completely disagree - lots of people rave about the club, how well ran it is and the nice footballing philosophy. **** knows where youve got ‘despises us’ from tbh :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here